Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sultry_jasmine_nights_fl9

Happy Easter Babies

Look what the easter bunny left in the ducks nest box LOL!

I woke up this morning to these. She made her nest in an old pet carrier out on the patio.

{{gwi:478323}}

Look what else....2 more broody hens hatched out chicks together. No one wanted to move from her spot in the nestbox so they are sharing.

{{gwi:478325}}

Comments (13)

• kasha77
    12 years ago

What a beautiful surprise! Congrats!
    kasha77

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

Oh Lenette, what cuties, both ducks and chickies! I wish I had a property where I could have all the chickens I wanted! I know hens will lay eggs in the same nest, sometimes together, but I never knew they would hatch together, lol!

• chena
    12 years ago

That is something special!!! They are all so cute!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. Mom has them all out in the yard waddling around today. One guy is always last because he is bull-legged lol. She tried to take them to her wading pool and then realized they are too small to reach it to get in lol. Dh went to the store to get them something smaller to swim in. He is gonna spoil them, I think.

Eloise, it is fun having more space UNTIL you figure out you have to do more mowing, weedeating, and all that other yard work in the heat and humidity LOL! Did you see the old pic of my two key west hens that went broody together? They laid in separate nests though. These two hens are seriously fighting over the chicks. I found one smashed flat as a pancake against the side so I am going to have to put them all into a larger cage big enough for 2 mommas and 8 babies (so far). I think I want chickens that don't go broody LOL.

• danasplants
    12 years ago

There sure are fun I have 2 guineas on 1 nest with about 40 eggs and 1 on 1 nest spring has sprung! Thanks for sharing the pic's

• gardenpaw
    12 years ago

So cute!
    Congratulations!!!

• princealbert
    12 years ago

Dana,
    Where are the pics? SJN shared, now it is your turn. LOL
    pa

• chena
    12 years ago

YEA!! What PA said Dana!!! ;0)

Kylie

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Awww! Are the ducks domestic or did they happen to find your yard?

Original Author
    12 years ago

They are domestic ducks, the mama is one of our 3 freeranging ducks. She is really sweet. I hope I can get all the babies really tame too.
    They are so cute, she's got 11 of them. I thought there were more but 11 is plenty lol. They all walk in a long long line right behind her everywhere she goes lol.

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

Lenette, I can just imagine all the work that goes into maintaining a larger property. I can barely keep up with my space now, lol! Maybe what I need is a property where keeping chickens would be 'legal' :-0 The ducks are so cute, and I can just envision them all following mama.

Original Author
    12 years ago

There are so many cities now at least allowing hens.Many larger cities don't allow roosters. Some charge a small permit fee to keep hens. Many large cities that you wouldnt think allowed chickens now Do thank to the Backyard Chicken movement. NYC, Los Angelos CA, Phx. AZ, Seattle,WA all allowed chickens to some extent :)

I don't know about ducks, turkeys, etc. lol. Most places allow rabbits and their 'bunny berries' are great for compost as well.

Here is a link where people can see what your state and city's ordinances are concerning chickens. Some cities that don't allow are currently being asked to by several groups. Having chickens allows people who want to excercise thier right to farm, grow thier own food (meat), eggs, and have an endless supply of compost for thier gardens.

Here is a link that might be useful: BYC Law Search

Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's a duckie pic update
    {{gwi:478327}}

{{gwi:478328}}

The hens are still raising thier babies together. Sometimes they have squabbles about how the babies should be raised or if one of the hens has more babies following her around or under her wings than the other..the other will get jealous and go peck the other hen lol.
    {{gwi:478330}}

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor