Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vaskirt

OT Anyone growing Japanese MG ?

vaskirt
16 years ago

I was wondering if any of you guys grow the Japanese MG ? I saw some on eBay, and they were to die for. If you do grow them, are they hard to get started ? Just curious.. Edna

Comments (11)

• plantlover49
    16 years ago

Edna. if I were growing it I certainly share with you. I .think my computer is finally fixed. now I can talk to you have you got your brugs in the ground. by the way how many do you have. how are you. Elizabeth

• chena
    16 years ago

Hey I know Karyn and Mike both do.. Karyn sent me some seed I just got started...
    Elizabeth!!
    GIRL!!!! it is so nice to see you back I am so happy it was just computer problems...I was worried about ya.. !!!
    Kylie

• katliketheef
    16 years ago

I've got some of those blue/purple striped ones started, Shibori? I think, something like that..but it also has a really long name starting with 'A' that I can't remember right now lol...no blooms yet this year, though. I had one of the same kind growing inside a couple winters ago that had a couple tiny blooms, but didn't like being inside and died :/
    If I didn't have an apartment I'd definitely have more than one kind, though

Jennifer

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Edna I grow loads of Japanese MG's. Actually Mike just sent me some as well. I'll send you a mix. They are so easy to grow as long as you keep them in a sunny area. I just nick and soak my seeds overnight and most will germinate in 24-72 hours.
    Karyn

• oxmyx
    16 years ago

Do they vine as well as the ordinary Morning glories?

• vaskirt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Karyn you will be the 2nd person today that I have said " I love you" to.... LOL Edna

• j4ck
    16 years ago

Anyone care to share pics of their MGs, especially the Japanese ones, along with the best instructions on how to get them germinated for hanging baskets please?

Thx

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I have some pics in the 'Vines Forum', a bunch of us do. They aren't something that you can really grow in a hanging basket. They get too long and you really can't prune them back. To germinate just nick or file the seed coat then soak them in water overnight. They'll germinate in 24-72 hours. Plant them in a sunny location.
    Karyn

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

I agree they don't really like to be in hanging baskets because they want to grow straight up and wont hang. Japanese MGs are no harder to start than the regular ones. Some don't seem as prolific with seeds but that must just depend on the variety.

• chena
    16 years ago

They are to agressive of a climber to put in a basket..I do use them as ground cover in a few areas as well as Clematis.. Not a whole lot work to keep them in check...LOL

• karyn1
    16 years ago

SJN I've found that I have to hand pollinate a number of the Japanese varieties and even then it's hit and miss.
    Karyn