Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mainegrdnr

New to forum

MAINEGRDNR
13 years ago

Just want to say hi. I found this forum during my search for more brugmansias. They sure have come a long way in the past 13 years. I have one from a trade 13 years ago and its still kicking. I have no idea what sp ecies or cultivarit is just a white satin flower that can be smelled all throughout the yard at night. I'm in Maine z5 (feels like z3 sometimes) so I bring mine in and let God take his share then I prune it in the spring removinr the dead wood then put it out in early May lug it in whan a frost is predicted - can have frosts till May 30th, then I leave it on the deck all summer.I let a small frost hit it to loose a few leaves and keep the mess in the house down. I overwinter it in the back bedroom watering only once in a while. I have only repotted it twice. I now know that was a mistake. I just re-ppotted it and ended up with 4 huge plants rootballs the size of melons and several smaller plants. I had to get out the sawsall because a serrated knife just wasn't doing it! I took photos of the whole process, maybe so I can look at them and remember how much fun it was! Now to find homes for some of these.

I have always wanted to add more but never got around to it until this year. I purchased Snowbank, Charles Grimaldi, Creamsicle, Pink Beauty and Ecuador Pink. I was looking for color, scent, ease of overwintering indoors and plants that don't need too much summer heat.

At first I thought all were the same a far as scent goes until I smelled a pink 'frosty' (I think thats the name) and the smell was ok but nothing like my white unknown.

Any advice or experiences with the plants I chose would be appreciated.

Sorry for being so winded but if this site is still like it was years ago I know I'll get some good advice, tips and meet some good people. I'll look for some photos of my brugmansia to post. Its incredible that a plant 5' tall and as wide can have 60 or more blooms at a time. I really got lucky on that trade! Well lets all hope for a good growing season - all 3 weeks in Maine! Lol

Comments (6)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES