Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crueltyfre

Dr. Suess or Jean Pasco?

crueltyfre
14 years ago

I got this last year in a swap. I was told she couldn't remember which it was, but she only had those two. Kinda looks like both/either to me, lol. It starts sorta yellowish, then goes kinda peachy orange. Any guesses?

Thanks,

Lori

{{gwi:479440}}

Comments (16)

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I'm going to go with Dr Suess because the tendril thingies are long. BTW that foliage is such a beautiful deep green. I don't think any of my brugs have such dark green foliage, including my Dr Suess.

• drvongirl
    14 years ago

Beautiful, how do you get the foilage so green! ellen

• marcie_new
    14 years ago

Either way she-it is a beauty. by the way how do you post that picture I am doing something wrong I cannot transfer my pics from photobucket to here. Marcie_new

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

Well, I can tell you it's not a Dr. Seuss as it's yellow and doesn't change to orange like Charles Grimaldi, it's off-spring. But that is not a Charlie either, it's flower does not have the roundness with the curved up turned flower edge, although I see it's not open up completely yet, but it's not. The leaves are way darker than my Charlie, I love it, excellent contrast!

I don't know if it's a Jean Pasco, it's similiar from what I gathered from Daves Garden, but I wouldn't say similiar enough.

It's a beauty, enjoy it! - Sandy

• karyn1
    13 years ago

My Dr Suess changes to a golden orange color and never remains yellow. I find it very difficult to tell apart from my CG.

• mantorvillain
    13 years ago

It looks more like My Dr. S than my J. Pasco. My pasco is almost a bicolor with darker orangy shading on the outside...but maybe that's just how it grows for me (consistent for @ 5 years)
    Will

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

I can't tell you which it is, I'll just tell you how beautiful and how much I enjoy the photo.

• chena
    13 years ago

Lori.. That is just Beautiful.. Looks like Suess to me..

Kylie

• crueltyfre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's three Suess's so I'm tagging it, lol.
    Thanks so much for the help.

As to the dark leaves, I wasn't aware that was abnormal. I only have three brugs, got them all last year in a swap and all their leaves are this color.

Marcie--at photobucket under each picture are various codes. Click the code that starts with the A, copy it, then paste it into your message. Preview to make sure thats' right then submit.
    Lori

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I wouldn't say the leaf color is abnormal, just the opposite, it looks healthy. I'm not used to seeing such deep green foliage, even when my plants are super healthy.

• sandysseeds007
    13 years ago

Interjection here, that is not a Dr. Seuss. Frosty pink has non-serrated leaves. Therefore, as Charles Grimaldi has serrated leaves (- some don't inherit Dr.S leaves and do take the FP's smooth edged leaves instead), which means only Dr. Seuss could have the serrated leaves, as these are the parents of CG.

And Dr. Seuss, as an original, with no x-pollination is solid yellow and doesn't change colors. Only it's x's with Frosty Pink or some other bi-color has produced the bicolor.

But you will find plenty of people passing off a x as a Dr. Seuss on the internet.

Respectfully, Sandy

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Sandy you are wrong. The flower color of Dr Suess is variable from yellow to orange and the foliage can be mixed, serrated and non serrated. Look at the pic on BGI and you'll see smooth foliage:
    http://www.brugmansia.us/content/index.php?option=com_fabrik&c=form&view=details&Itemid=117&fabrik=11&rowid=169&fabrik_cursor=362&fabrik_total=1325&tableid=11

Here's the description from ABADS:Dr. Seuss yellow/gold/ orange single Cubensis conf Discovered by Hetty Krauss Colombia

Actually I find more people trying to pass of Dr Suess as CG.

• ruth_ann
    13 years ago

Call it what it honestly is, a beautiful Brug that you are unsure of the name of please.
    You can see just from this thread that this is exactly what others have done and given an incorrect name to a Brug and that Brug then gets passed along with the wrong name and on it goes. If someone is wanting a specific characteristic of either Dr Seuss or Jean Pasco then it would be unfair to them to end up using a badly ( misnamed) Brug.
    I have one that was given to me as a cutting from the owner of Native Habitat near Miami. By the time I got home to Canada I had forgotten whether he said it was Creamsicle or Double Peach so I have called it NHE ( for the nursery where it came from) all the time I have owned it and told those I gave cuttings to it is a No ID I call NHE. This is more for my purposes so that is anyone comes back to ask me something about this Brug I know which one they are talking about. You could do the same for yourself with this one Lori .

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Ruth Ann is absolutely right. If it wasn't labeled when you received it you should just call it a NOID. I have plenty that have had tags lost and even though I'm 90% sure I know what they are I still call them NOIDs. There's nothing wrong with an unnamed variety. I have some beautiful plants that I haven't the slightest idea what they are. BTW I still can't get over the color of the foliage.

• crueltyfre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I do enjoy this brug, so don't think I don't simply because I don't know the name of it. As the person I got this from only had the two, I thought it would be easy to identify. I like to have names for swapping/trading. We all know that most people who are trading don't want noids. Plus I host a GW swap here at my house yearly and again, people want names. I didn't realize the question would stir so much response, lol. Thanks to all,
    Lori

• sandysseeds007
    13 years ago

Karyn - Well, I can see where your arguments are coming from. But they're have the two mixed up. Abads is currently stating that a single color flower (yellow which they claim CG is) can be born out of 2 bicolor flowered plants and that a serrated leafed plant (which is CG)can be born from 2 non-serrated (smooth leafed plants). Somebody has mislead them or mistakenly confused the two. Otherwise, I can see why you can argue that the CG is more confused as a Dr. Seuss.

As soon as they get their pictures working, and I expect I'll probably see the same thing as you did - as of this time they are not working. I will ask them regarding this as it's more likely that more possiblilities of combination of colors and leaf forms, would come out of a mix of solid and bi-color and of choice of leaves for an off-spring which they currently have described as the original Dr.Seuss. And I've seldom heard CG described as solid yellow in the 4 years I've had one, not that it wouldn't be possible if Dr. Seuss is the solid yellow. I wonder what the original registered characteristics of CG were when it was registered, if registered, as a whole load of different combo's could come from the parents. How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop?...the world may never know...

Lori, We did figure that you thought you had 1 or the other dear. We get our info from different places and even that can change. Would you happen to put anything unusual in your garden soil?...your green and orange are very deep colored, much admired.

We do have to be big sticklers as to what the name of a brug is, as you want THAT one, not somebody else's desire that you believes theirs is by that same name but it ends up different. There are still plenty of people who do but that's why we are sticklers, maybe it'll catch on...sighhh We must stick to the facts.

Really nice brug for one of your first, you lucked on!
    -Sandy