Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haase_gw

What if.........

haase
14 years ago

Hello friends.

I have limited space (not like some of you lucky ones who have a yard.)

It's a fenced-in patio, maybe 15 by 15, and my brugs are in large pots.

What would happen to the brugs if, in order to get more color on my patio, I planted some annuals in the brug-pots, like maybe some impatients or lobelia.

I would keep up the watering and fertilizing. But would the roots of the annuals crowd out the brug roots and the brugs would suffer from that?

I would appreciate any advice you could give me. Thank you.

Ingrid

Comments (12)

• threas
    14 years ago

Ingrid, I think it would be fine to plant annuals in the pots.I never have any problems. Not sure if it's bad for the brugs or not though. Lucy had some beautiful ones.

Theresa

• figara
    14 years ago

Ingrid, I agree with Theresa...I do not think will hurt the brugs but I am not an expert, just a newbie.
    Pat

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Ingrid it would also help the earth from drying out to fast ;-) My favorite to use in there with the brugs that love the fertilizing are Periwinkles.

Lucy

• chena
    14 years ago

It is a Wonderful Thing!!! Under planting works well.. A Great way to slip in a few Herbs as well!!

Kylie

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I usually underplant my brugs as well as grow vines in the containers. I think it's Lucy that had some great pics of her underplanted brugs last season.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

ok Karyn , now you have me go dig up some picture. But that is ok, since I can not dig outside. Soaking wet everything.
    {{gwi:444832}}From Picture of the day for the year 2009

Ok I found one....and that is why I love under planting

Lucy

• chena
    14 years ago

Beautiful Lucy!!!

• haase
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, friends. 'Tis gonna be great!
    Lucy, how absolutely wonderful!!!!
    Ingrid

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Thanks. With underplanting constant bloomers...you have flowers all season long...until the brugs finally flush lol

Lucy

• davidwv
    14 years ago

Ingrid, as others have already told you it is fine to under plant your Brug. Personally I try to have at least one or two Impatiens in the under planting. The reason why is, that the impatiens will wilt a little faster than some other plants will. And with the impatiens wilting you know that it is time to water your brug. This way they suffer less water stress and you are less likely to have buds drop on you.

Monika from Germany who has bred many a great Brug uses the fiberous type begonias in her under plantings, at least this is what she was using the last time that I checked.

Have fun with the under planting. Mix and match or go with all one type of plant. Either way it looks good to me!

• haase
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, all of you. I went with the impatients, because they grow also in the shade and I have to cover my patio during the intense summer heat. I do have experience with them I had planted them out front in the ground, where they got morning sun. They were growing abundantly, so that the HomeOwners Assocn. paid me 100 bucks for beautifying the common grounds at my own expense!! But they wilted every single evening, and watering spruced them up.
    This time, there will be more shade (sun coming thru the bamboo mats that I put up) and they will be in pots. Something new to try for me.--- I was just worried about what this might do to my brugs. I'm still a brug-newbie.
    Thank you all.
    Ingrid

• pearlgirl
    14 years ago

Lucy! I'm copyiniiinnng the vinca underplanting. I like
    that look and I always have vincas somewhere in the garden.
    Wonderful idea.
    Margaret