Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_plant_addict

My first Datura seedlings!

Hi there!

I got lots of seeds from PA a couple months back and finally planted 4 seeds of each, double purple and triple yellow!!! :)

I didn't keep track of which seeds were which after planting so it will be a surprise when they bloom!

I soaked the seeds in water before I planted 8 of them. 3 seeds germinated which took about 3 weeks, still waiting for signs of the other 5. They seemed to sprout over night though! I showed my friends and boyfriend the empty soil pellets one night and then the very next day they sprouted!

I LOVE the purple color of the stems!

{{gwi:479834}}

{{gwi:479837}}

I can't wait for the rest to sprout! I love daturas and brugs!! These plants are great.

Thanks for looking, any advice is welcomed!

Ashley

Comments (43)

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Very nice. I planted some Black Currant Swirl seeds at least 4 weeks ago. A couple germinated within a couple weeks (but were since lost to damping off) and the others are just now sprouting. I get such erractic germination rates when I start daturas inside. Good luck.

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Congrats Ashley, you are definitely living up to your name "plant addict" LOL! Your dat seedlings look amazing. I need to sow some.

• danasplants
    13 years ago

You can tell there purple by the stalks I have a bunch going too

• ashley_plant_addict
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Eloise, I know right! I can't help myself... You should try to sow some now, I still have some waiting to germinate. One more just sprouted yesterday! So now I have 4

...come to think of it now...I think these four are the purple, thanks for the confirmation Dana! So porobably the other 4 waiting to germinate will be the yellow. Come on yellow! haha :)

Karyn, I've never seen a Black Currant Swirl before. Wow are they beautiful!! I LOVE the color! Have any seeds to spare?! Haha! I've definitely have to find this plant.

I'll post any progress! :)

Ashley

• wiccadgardener
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting this, it's just the information I was looking for. I sowed some Black Current Swirl datura about 3 weeks ago and was getting kind of worried that they hadn't sprouted yet, I'll give them a while longer before I give up on them :)

Congratulations on your little seedlings, they look great, really strong and healthy!

• sandysseeds007
    13 years ago

Yours were out before mine, as mine look like yours in the picture now. But just so you know, the yellow also have purple stems.

Yes it does take a while for datura to germinate, keep them moist and warm.

- Sandy

• roper2008
    13 years ago

I received Black Currant Swirl seeds in a trade. I am very thrilled
    they have sprouted. Going to start some more today.

• ashley_plant_addict
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi all,

I'm glad my post was helpful, wiccadgardener! I was in the same boat thinking they were never going to germinate. I checked the seeds today and no more have sprouted yet, maybe in a week... :)

Sandy, what kind did you sow?

Way to go roper! Black Currant Swirls are gorgeous! Now on my trade list. haha ;)

Ashley

• roper2008
    13 years ago

Ashley, I'll check to see how many seeds I have left. Right now I
    can't seem to find them. I misplaced them somewhere.

• sandysseeds007
    13 years ago

Ashley - I currently have double yellow, double purple, annoxia x metel, seeds from one of Jack's double yellow and I had mix of unknown that I'm hoping came from my triple yellow as I know I left a pod or 2 on so as to get seeds. I just don't know if I was even successful getting mature seeds and that was 2 falls ago. This particular batch, I don't care about too much. I have plenty of what I want.
    The triple yellow never did give me many flowers. I'm hoping better flowering from the doubles.

I've no idea what the name of the double purple is but If I recall right, I think I would of preferred the double swirl instead. Mine is purple outside and white inside.

- Sandy

• stanly
    13 years ago

Well, that's it for me this weekend with Datura seeds. I've been trying to start them now for two months and after this week end, I'm throwing them out. I will take some of the extra seeds I got and plant them in the ground the trouble is they won't flower til late August. Needless to say, I'm very disapointed. Stan

• ashley_plant_addict
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh no Stan! I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble. The first time I sowed 3 (i didn't soak the seeds) I lost them to mold. I since used one of those plastic green house things with pellets which gave me success. As I said it took me 3 weeks for just those 4 to sprout.

I know that they need to be warm and moist but not too wet because then they'll mold, like mine did. How are you sowing them? The seeds might possibly be old, which would be the problem. Do you know how old they are?

Sandy, I've never seen annoxia x metel, whats color are the blooms?

Ashley

• sandysseeds007
    13 years ago

Stanly - Have you tried folding a paper towel to fit into a small baggie, wet it with the best clean water you have. Set your seeds spread out on the paper towel and lay it on your fridge or another cozy warm spot. The window, in direct sun, seems too hot to me, unless they are in soil. Anyway, don't look for 2 weeks, then start looking every 2 days. They may not look like they're germinating one day, but 2 days and you have 1/2" or more of sprout showing and all you need to tell you which are germinating is a little tiny tail of a root sticking out of the end of the seed. It helps minimize the use of cells and precious light space. And it's pretty obvious so you can pick out the ones that are germinating and gently transplant into cells, until you can get them outside. I went with peat pellets only because of their very tender root systems, I'll just have to make sure that they don't dry out till the stem/stalk breaks it open 'nice and wide' or else 'strangle hold' dry as a rock.

Maybe yours started germinating and the soil dryed out at the critical time when the root was just popping out, or they're just slow germinators because of age and/or no treatment was used, like cold stratification/in the fridge for a month or so.

What color/kind are you trying to grow?

- Sandy

• princealbert
    13 years ago

Stan
    Do you want some more?
    I have plenty.
    pa

• princealbert
    13 years ago

Sandy here are pics of the parents to Ashley's seedlings
    {{gwi:479840}} {{gwi:479844}}

a link to my photobucket if you want to look

http://s628.photobucket.com/albums/uu5/1prince-albert/

I will be glad when everything gets going this year, I'm tired of brown.

• sandysseeds007
    13 years ago

Hello Prince - Your triple yellow is different then mine was. It's much more frillier and looks like more twangers or tendrils, whatever you prefer to call them. But most noticable is the color is lighter yellow and that first skirt is much smaller than mine, but I like it more than mine, it adds to the frilliness. I hope she gets a triple yellow with purple coloring, though I'm sure it would be something to see either way. Triples are worth having if you have a good growing season; mine is a little short for triples to get a good flush.

I checked out a few pages of your album and you've got a whole lot more going than I do! Lots of lovelies. But do you know the one thing I need to suggest is that purple potatoe bush you have is in the same family as the brugs so you should cross them...lol. You might just get that purple. I tell that to anybody with a purple potatoe vine... lol...but didn't know there was a bush to. It's a pretty flower with similiar leaves to a brug from what I could see.

What a difference at your place from brown to the burst of colors and fragrance that all your plants bring. No wonder you're suffering! It's the extremes! Sensory depravation!
    Oh the cruelty of winter to a gardener!

You're album picked me up, maybe you should go through it yourself ;) Thank you - Sandy

• princealbert
    13 years ago

Sandy I didn't mean to mislead, her seedlings are not crosses unless the bees did it. They were planted in close proxmity. the seeds came from a pod of each.
    I may try the potatoe bush thing. which way would you go Brug pollen on potatoe or the other way? I may try both ways just for grins.
    pa

• danasplants
    13 years ago

I am growing a bunch of these all kinds i did the plastic bag trick and I did 72 cell greenhouse with a heatmat that worked the best for me. These are well worth the wait evening fragrance says it best!

• karyn1
    13 years ago

PA I was thinking the same thing as Sandy about your yellow datura. It's much "frillier" then mine as well. It's quite pretty. If you get a surplus of seeds this season would you consider a trade? I might be able to come up with something that you would like.

• sandysseeds007
    13 years ago

Dana - That's great that your heat works like it should! MY heatmat goes bonkers, can't trust it under just cells, it gets too hot, in the upper 90's. I guess I'll have to track down a baking rack to lift the next seedling batch up. Those butterfly bush seeds need heat! I only get a good strong intoxicating fragrance from the annoxia - pure white.

PA - It'll be a wonderful surprise for Ashley either way! Open gardens offer plenty of cross polination and it leaves us to allow for the possibilities of seeds not being true to parent but offer the surprises! Although, maybe they grow true to parent anyway! This I do not know.

I have no idea whether it would even work either way. I just know they're are both Solananceae (also spelled without the e on the end) genus. But your bush has a lot more characteristics of the brug than the vine does! I'd try it both ways to...lol...just make sure you keep your flower closed before it opens and after pollenating it. I've been wondering myself, which specific characteristics are given by the mother and which by the father, if any...lol.

I have Charles Grimaldi, who's an offspring of Dr. Seuss and Frosty Pink. I don't know which brug was the mother so I can't deduce even what possiblilities there are. CG has the robust size of the plant and flower, serrated leaves and the color yellow of Dr.S but it picked up the 2 tone from Frosty and possibly the profuse blooming of Frosty Pink. I don't have a Dr. Seuss but I believe they also are profuse bloomers. So, I hazard a guess that the mother was the Dr.Suess but a guess that is!

Ain't Ashley the lucky one, she gets the favored triple yellow right off the bat! The purple is the same as mine.

- Sandy

• ashley_plant_addict
    Original Author
    13 years ago

PA, those are beautiful! I can't wait until mine bloom, it'll be a while but at least the seedlings are going strong!

Sandy, that would be neat if I got a triple purple! It'll be a surprise for everyone to see what they bloom. I hope the bees worked in my favor! ;) haha I do feel lucky that PA was kind enough to give me some of those seeds! Oh, I bet that Charles Grimaldi is beautiful. Do you have any photos?

Ashley

• sandysseeds007
    13 years ago

You'll get a couple chuckles on that one! CG's my favorite!
    Here's my pride and joy as far as brugs go so far in his 3rd year which is the same size as the 2nd year, but like last year he gets the same room for his roots and I remove any lower branches that will grow so I can see other plants in the garden, there's only a few brugs that will grow this big so don't assume yours will and destroy branches that you'd need for a good flush of flowers -

{{gwi:479846}}

;)- Sandy

• ashley_plant_addict
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh Sandy, he's beautiful! I love the color! :)

• stanly
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for your support and also for the kind offer of seeds. The Datura that I'm growing is just the plain old white one, nothing fancy. I have found that those are the ones that grow best for me in my zone. I started out with seed pods that my brother in law gave me from his Datura plants from last year. I let them all dry out nicely although the pods he gave me had already split open. I kept the seeds in my veranda over the winter and then in Feb, I used a heated seed starting tray with 72 peat pellets. I watered well and then put 2 seeds in each peat pellet. Next, I took another heated seed starting tray and used the nine cell pack which I filled with sifted vermiculite and put two seeds in each of these, so that was another 72. Then, I took a large margarine container into which I put a folded paper towel which I misted with water and "no damp", and put another 50 or so seeds in that and then place the container on the warm side of a 4' fluorescent lite fixture. The only seed that germinated was one from the first batch in the heated peat pellets. I have been pretty meticulous about keeping things clean. Maybe I just can't grow them anymore, cause I used to! Once again, thank you all. Stan

• sandysseeds007
    13 years ago

Stanly - Everything sounds right. There are 3 things that could of gone wrong with any one of them or maybe a different zap for different groups.
    1)planted too deep they shouldn't be more than the widest part of the seed deep in soil, hopefully light soil, like for seedlings.
    2)you didn't keep the actual top area around the seed moist.
    3)you cook them - I have a heat mat that goes so high it cooks the seeds in cell types of planters if left on too long - 90f is itself a little too high but mine was hitting the high 90f. I heard they are suppose to be lifted up, like on a cake pan cooling rack. That just be mine but I've read others had the same event which how I learned of the cooking rack idea.

Wish you success - Sandy

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

PA, that really is beautiful. Is the frilly one the one you labeled "double/triple"? I will get these seeds started next week.

• princealbert
    13 years ago

Yes it is Shirley.
    They should come up in about a week or two. they are from last fall so they are fairly fresh.
    I like the looks of the little vine you found during your walk. Were you able to relocate it?
    pa

• marcie_new
    13 years ago

Hi Guys I have that yellow BRUG!! the only thing mine is barely coming back from the freeze, so I am hoping that it will get to bloom this summer or fall, I also have the black currant and I do believe its going to bloom pretty soon I hope for it is forming a bud for a bloom. My dble yellow datura seems not to be coming back. So I have planted some seeds but so far no sprout, so I am going to sow directly in the ground and see what happens, right now I am looking for seeds for dble or triple white datura anyone?I used to have a dble white datura that I had bought in Corpus but the poor baby died on me.Prince Albert how have you been? I have tried to e-mail you a couple of times but my computer does not want to send the e-mails it must be something I am doing wrong for I can come here and post messages. Hey guys the plants swap in BUDA is thi coming weekend. Thank you all for reading Marcie_

• ashley_plant_addict
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marice, you have the one Sandy showed? It's a lovely Brug, I have a couple of cuttings of a yellow brug from PA which is doing very well. He says they should bloom this year so I'm very excited!! I've got pictures of my brugs from PA on the thread New to Brugs, Heres my progress so far. Check it out if you haven't yet! :)

I bet the Black Currant is beautiful, Marice, post pictures when she blooms!

Aw man, a plant swap! I'm too far from there. I just looked on google...almost 5 hours. I've never attended one but I bet its a blast! :)

Ashley

• ashley_plant_addict
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have 2 more seeds that have sprouted, I'm guessing these might be my triple yellow. The 4th seedling to sprout might have died, I came home the other day to find it wilted over. I watered it....so we'll see if it perked back up :/

The 3 from the photo above are getting their second set of leaves. :) The pot their in is very small. Should I pot them up yet? Or will their roots get damaged too much?

Thanks!
    Ashley

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    13 years ago

I also sowed Triple yellow and dbl purple seeds (from Branda) a couple weeks ago. A few seedlings show up and they are all purple. I wonder whether it takes longer for the yellow to spout. Changsong

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Stan, would you like some datura plants for postage. I have alot of small plants that I need to get rid of. I have double/triple purple, and some double yellow. They are about 2inches high right now. If you are intersted send me an email. I live in Texas, and they are growing like weeds.

• ashley_plant_addict
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, it rained all weekend here. I lost the one seedling I said sprouted just a few days after the first 3. And when I looked at the other seedlings in my mini greenhouse, I noticed that the seed cases were still unmoved but at the bottom of the pellets (2 of them) there was a stem with leaves. I'm thinking that these seedlings are NOT the Daturas but something else that might have gotten blown in.

So I will have to sow more seeds next weekend. I'll take a couple of photos when I get home, to explain whats going on. I really doubt that they would be the daturas since my others did not have this growth habit.

As for the 3 seedlings, they are growing well but one of them has a leaf that has a hole in it. What would have caused this? Possibly bugs?

Should I move them into a bigger pot or wait? I'm afraid that they will get tangled up if left there any longer.

Thanks!
    Ashley

• sandysseeds007
    13 years ago

Hi Ashley, Whatever caused the hole may be long gone, but the hole will grow in size, relative to the growing leaf. Just keep a look out for other damage and if so, try to find the culprit.

Most of mine already have tiny second sets of leaves in as well. Mine are in peat pellets, which have it's share of trouble.

Your 3 in that one pot, I'd pot them up seperately now. Better now while the roots are small. I'd say there is more trouble with not breaking the stem from the roots when transplanting, so give concern there, as well as trying to preserve as much root as possible.

They like it warm out, so keep that in mind as to how long you should keep them inside. I'll probably put mine out when it stays above 40f at night but I'm sure 50f is better.

- Sandy

• sandysseeds007
    13 years ago

Sorry Ashley, I missed that. They are a solid mauve/light purple. They're a cross that Jack brought into this world.
    I only have 1 so it will be guarded.

And thank you for the compliments on my CG. I could get so many more flowers if I gave it more root space. That is the other reason for only keeping a limited number of branches, there's only so much root space given to it.

Changsong - if it's just because you see purple stems, that doesn't necessarily make them the purple flower, they could also be the yellow. If they are in different pots and your yellow are not out yet, just give them some time.

- Sandy

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Hi PA,

I can't wait to see that frilly Datura flower. I'll certainly post a celebration photo.

The little snapdragon vine is still there. I've been giving it time to grow before I try cuttings or moving it. Had a lot of rain and the flowers are gone without making seeds. I'll take some cuttings soon and see if that works. If not, we'll have to try transplanting but I want to make sure there is more than one vine available before doing that.

I'm guessing you'd like to be on the list if I ever get seeds or cuttings out of this.

• ashley_plant_addict
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The rain did that to my snapdragons as well! Darn that rain! Some of my blooms are already dying but I see many more that hopefully will bloom. What kind do you have?

Ashley

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

It's not a real snapdragon, but a vine I saw while walking near my house. It's called a snapdragon vine even though it is no relation to snapdragons.

My real snapdragons fell over in the rain too. If the blooms are fading go ahead and cut them back. They may bloom again before it gets hot. They don't like hot weather, but you can try keeping them in shade and letting them rest in the summer to bring them out again in the fall. If we have a really hot, dry summer they may not make it or may not be worth the space you have to give up.

I plan to try cuttings of the little vine to get it planted in my yard. Like everything else around here it appears to be growing out of solid rock so no way to dig it up without killing it.

It's really cute and I've linked to the thread below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to previous thread

• ashley_plant_addict
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lovely vine!

Everything grows out of the side of rocks here too! Whats the deal!? I see so many pretty vines but most are in the cracks.....

Where again are you in TX?

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

I'm on the north side of San Antonio very close to where the Hill Country begins.

The yard has about 1/2" soil and then rocks so most of our plantings are in raised beds. Once a plant gets established it finds a way to get roots in there.

You can take cuttings of almost anything and try to root it in a mix of peat and perlite.

• namfon
    13 years ago

Sandy,

How do you overwinter your Datura in Zone 6 ( does pocket zone 6 mean you are close to Z 7? )

• gardenlover77. zn6 NY
    11 years ago

Someone sent me the seeds for this beautiful datura ten years ago in an exchange on the GW seed forum. I wasn't able to get the seeds to germinate the next year but I have been happily growing white moonflower bushes for these past years. I now have more sunlight available and would love to exchange any seeds on my list for any datura or brugs seeds.

• DaturaFlora
    9 years ago

I was pulled to this particular plant due to its dual characteristics. One of sheer beauty yet at the same time deadly if not treated with the respect it deserves. I see my plant sit patiently at the window sill taking its time to form the beautiful scented blooms that sadly as many beautiful things, tend to be short lived.

I am new to the plant yet intend to nurture it to a strong dominant plant with many fruits to enjoy year after year. I do look forward to any advice in the daily maintenance and tips that so many of you have learnt along the way.

I am also greatful I have found a site dedicated to this plant.

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County