Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allanrandall_gw

need some assistance picking out the right brug

AllanRandall
13 years ago

Hey everyone, I was wondering if some of you experienced brug growers might be able to help me out. I have a brug, not sure what kind, the tag just said peach. Anyways, it just doesn't seem to stand up to the heat and humidity of OKC. I was hoping to get some examples of varieties that might work for me. I prefer good heat tolerance, fragrance, and a good bloomer (may prefer continuous as opposed to flushes).

I know the perfect plant may not exist, but any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments (33)

• arghyagardengirl
    13 years ago

My suggestion would be Isabella. Of all the Brugmansia plants I've had over the years (and there have been many), Isabella is the iron-clad champ when it comes to handling full sunlight and high temperatures.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

Yep I do agree about Isabella I purposely put her in the worst spots to fill in where the others won't grow well and she will perform like mad.

• pagrdnr
    13 years ago

New Orleans Lady is a trooper and a favorite of many too. Great fragrance and abundant double peach blooms.

• chena
    12 years ago

My Tried and True!! Cherub and Santa Rosa!! Do Awesome in our Texas heat!! AND YES unlike many believe ..It is Humid here..

Kylie

• AllanRandall
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. My only problem now is deciding on one, which is turning out not to be as easy as I had hoped. If I'm going by looks, I like cherub and New Orleans lady. Cherub sounds like it might do well here, but I can't find a lot of information on New Orleans lady as far as heat tolerance is concerned. Anyone near zone 7 have any luck with it?

• chena
    12 years ago

Allan I am Z8 and she loves it here with Morning Sun and Afternoon shade! Here is a Pic of mine!
    Kylie

NOL

{{gwi:480792}}

Santa Rosa on your left and Cherub on your right..

{{gwi:480793}}

• chena
    12 years ago

BTW! I grew up in the City! Where are you?

Kylie

• AllanRandall
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm in Moore actually, but grew up in McAlester.

• kasha77
    12 years ago

Beautiful Brugs! Thanks for sharing Kylie-
    kasha77

• chena
    12 years ago

Thanks Kathy!!!

Very cool Allan.!! One of my very best friends live up in Calvin.. My Momma still lives on the So. side between Western and Walker.. I moved back in the mid 80's.. Maybe you could let me in on any cool Nursery secrets around there.. ;0)

Kylie

• fengshui05
    12 years ago

Very nice ones Kylie!

12 years ago

Here is a whole row of pinks that did good in the heat. Going back the closest one on the right is Cherry Slush, then painted lady, rosalla, mt. magic, The tallest ones toward the back are santa rosa and strawberries and cream.
    {{gwi:480794}}

Painted Lady and Super Nova
    {{gwi:480795}}

NOL (the tall one), day dreams, and Jamie
    {{gwi:452159}}
    Antique white (left) and Miss Emily McKenzie (long pink)
    {{gwi:480798}}

• chena
    12 years ago

Very Nice Lenette!

Kylie

• pagrdnr
    12 years ago

Wow Lenette, you're yard looks like a tropical paradise! Yours too Kylie!

12 years ago

Thank you. That was my OLD yard. Now I have a much bigger new yard that I still am working on. My dirt was so much better in the old yard LOL! The new one has horrible soil so I am kinda starting over with flower beds and all now.

Kylie your yard look so pretty! I see NANNERS :)

• AllanRandall
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you both for the photos... it seem the both of you have quite the touch.

kylie, that's weird, my mother was actually born and raised in Calvin.

As far as secrets go, I'm new enough to all this that have to I have to seek out secrets rather than give them.

I did learn to never use the natural soil in OKC. It's kind of a funny story. The first thing that I ever planted was a Mountain fire pieris and I just stuck it right in the ground. I had it for about two years and the whole time was a struggle to keep it alive. On the third season it had finally died out, so I went and dug it up. Not so much as one root hair had gone past the shape of the nursery pot that I took it out of. It was completely root bound in the hard clay. that was my fist gardening lesson learned and now I always dig a big hole and put plenty of good soil in. You could patch a hole in a boat with this stuff.

• kasha77
    12 years ago

Wow Girls- I am amazed! I think I should move to TX or Fla! What beauties! So healthy and huge and lush! What a treat for the eyes and soul.
    Thank you very much!
    kasha77

• chena
    12 years ago

LOL Allan! I moved to Ga.. They had Awesome soil! Here in TX it is a bit of a Crap Shoot.. BUT having Cattle.. at least gives you a Chance.. ;0) Our Property was homesteaded some 85 yrs ago.. Nothing after that .. back to pasture but a lot of good organic matter ..MOOOO!

Lenette You know I love my Nanners.. I am hoping last yr and the Winter haven't taken their toll.. We will see..LOL The temps tonight are suppose to be 35*f ..REALLY??.. I am just Thankful I haven't put them in the ground yet..Did the whole hauling of the plant thing AGAIN tonight.. CRAZY!!!

• AllanRandall
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Does mountain magic hold up in the wind. I love the size and color of those blooms, but they do look fragile.

12 years ago

Yes she does. Here is a pic of Mt Magic. She is a fantastic bloomer. I've had her for several years. When I first got her, she was a slow starter but the second year she really took off. She is one you like to lay on the ground and take photos from underneath. The sun looks pretty shining through the blooms. You just gotta watch where you lay in my yard LOL (pets)...
    {{gwi:480799}}

• byrd4460
    12 years ago

Beautifl,I just dug up mountain Magic last week
    and it now lays across the tracks.
    Cb

• chena
    12 years ago

MM is an iffy at best performer for me.. Lenette your are to die for!!

Kylie

12 years ago

Thank you. She likes milorganite for breakfast and pond sludge for lunch :)

• AllanRandall
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's beautiful

How often do you get flushes?

12 years ago

Mine really get going when the nights are cooler than the days in the fall..that is when they just load down with blooms...sometimes it doesn't freeze here till around Christmas and it will be in continuous flower, bud, and seedpod till then.
    It will really bloom all year unless I cut it back severly or let freeze to the ground. Most of mine bloom sporadically when it gets super hot and humid like July, August. I can get really good flushes in spring, early summer, and fall, early winter.

It freezes here in the winter so I can either keep them going or cut back and let go semi dormant in the gh or leave in ground to go all the way dormant.
    If you are in the midwest where the nights cool down alot more than the daytime temps, you may have good flushes all summer and fall and possibly late spring if you keep a few Ys on the plant when you cut them back in the winter.

• AllanRandall
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry to keep pumping you guys for advice, but I have one more question. What is recommended for someone like me who absolutely has to bring them in for the winter. Should I just trim the width, cut it down about halfway, or cut it all the way to the ground. Not necessarily just for space, but for the health of the plant.

• chena
    12 years ago

Alan!! Ask away.. That is what makes us Happy!
    I see you are a Z7.. That's is a great zone with Brugs you have many options.. You can dig it up and bring it in/hold it dormant/semi dormant keep it actively growing and possibly have Winter Blooms Who doesn't Love that!! ;0). Cut it and root it mulch the roots, take smaller cuttings and have a ton..LOL You will do Great!!!

Kylie

• AllanRandall
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm know that I'm going to have to grow in containers; I have to be able to move it around because the wind here is unreal. As far as the next growing season is concerned, will I have better results, if I keep it active or let it go dormant through the winter.

It may not make a difference, but I know that my oleander does better if it goes dormant. It's a little easier though, I just put it in the garage.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

My two picks would be the Ladies! Painted Lady, and New Orleans Lady. Both do great in heat and humid conditions. Barbra

12 years ago

I almost forgot about Ila Marie. Single dark pink and she is really awesome-just flush after flush.
    She puts out gobs of blooms before she even gets tall. She is really easy to put pods on as well.

• pagrdnr
    12 years ago

Allan,
    I am in Z5 and I only cut off the green growth before I bring them in. I like to trim off as little as possible, that way when some of the growth naturally dies back, I don't end up with a puny plant. I keep some in a dark room in the basement, others in front of basement windows. Did some near lights last year, but didn't set up the lights this year. Either way you do it, some live, some may die. Some die back a lot, some die back a little. Its easier just to let them go dormant, that way you have less pest problems to deal with (aphids, whiteflies, mites. Did you decide which brug(s) you are getting yet?

• AllanRandall
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know that I'm going to give New Orleans lady a shot,It's too beautiful to pass up, but I think there will be more to come. I want to also get one that blooms really heavy, maybe cherub.

I can't be in too big of a rush to get more additions. I'm already in an epic battle spider mites spider mites this year and I appear to be on the losing side.