Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amelia_pepper_lady

I'm back but ...

amelia_pepper_lady
14 years ago

Devastated. We had such a hard winter. I lost most of my plants --- both in the hoop house and in the yard. I'm still trying to assess the situation.

Verging on severe depression. Work is awful and my plants are unhealthy or dead. Need to start working on getting the plants to recover. Just have a hard time looking at them.

Comments (13)

• karyn1
    14 years ago

It sucks doesn't it. I lost a significant portion of my collection including about 60 orchids when I had a power outage and everything in the greenhouse froze the winter of 08-09. What did surprise me was the number of plants that did eventually come back from the roots. I just stacked the pots of frozen plants towards the back of the greenhouse intending to dispose of them in the spring. When I finally got around to it, probably in May, quite a few had sent up new growth. Don't give up on everything yet. Hopefully some will surprise you.

• threas
    14 years ago

Amelia, so sorry to hear about your plants. It does suck. Take care of yourself though, the plants aren't worth your health. Baby the ones you have left. Hopefully, the nice weather will get you feeling better. :)

Theresa

• chena
    14 years ago

I have lost a ton this yr also.. Mostly from just being out of town on Family stuff.. Family First Always!!! What I have left will be a pleasure and I look forward to the new seedlings that are growing..Thanks Karyn and Brenda!!!
    Always fun to start a new yr. Things seem to work out somehow..LOL

Kylie

• peony_tx
    14 years ago

I understand how you feel. It might not be so overwhelming if you can set smaller goals. Hang in there.

• drvongirl
    14 years ago

sorry to hear about your plants, like Karyn said maybe some of them will bounce back, we get so attached to our plants they are like our babies, so don't give up and take care of yourself!!

• taz56
    14 years ago

Sorry to hear about all of you'lls plants!
    The weather was so bad this winter,if I can
    help let me know!
    Susan

• chena
    14 years ago

I do still have some seed if you would like to give them a go!
    They are MEM X ? and Jinny Lind X ?

Kylie

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Amelia, I hope you find that your loss isn't as great. The weather has been more severe this winter. We had a beautiful day on Monday, and then Tuesday and Wednesday we got rain and it got cold again! Hope today brings sunshine.

• kasha77
    14 years ago

Dear Amelia-
    I totally sympathize with you- looks like I lost all of mine out in the garden. Not sure yet. Let's have hope! If you need some to start over, I'll be glad to send you some for postage. I know it's hard to be up when stuff like this happens- but if you think about all the blessings that we do have, (and write them down) that nasty old depression will vanish! We are so blessed, if we have our health, family, a roof over our head, and another day to get up out of bed and start over, we can thank God for His blessings! Cheer up- and
    Great big HUGS to you-
    kasha77

• chena
    14 years ago

AMEN! So very true Kathy! Each day is a Blessing..

• figara
    14 years ago

Amelia, sorry about your plants. We all lost lots of plants this winter but they are replaceable and we have to stay positive. Kasha said it so well !!!

Let us know how we can help.I want to see a big smile on your face.
    Hugs
    Pat

• pearlgirl
    14 years ago

Amelia...sorry about your plants. I can/will always share
    cuttings of my NOIDS. Let us know how we can help. Cheer
    up...Mother Nature is so forgiving most of the time.
    Margaret

• mantorvillain
    14 years ago

Hey cuz, not to worry. I've been bringing up plants from the basement to the greenhouse all week and am gonna have quite a few duplicates once I get around to an accurate inventory. Once I get that done I'll contact you and we'll figure something out to get you restocked
    Will