Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allanrandall_gw

Need help with a strange problem

AllanRandall
12 years ago

I seem to be having a strange problem with one of my brugs and could use some advice. The other day, overnight, the lower leaves started to droop down. The thing is, they aren't really drooping or wilting, there is still stiffness in the leaves and stems, they are just pointing downward. The leaves look perfectly healthy otherwise. I did fertilize the day before with MG 20-20-20 not quite at full strength and we have had a lot of trouble with spider mites, but I have been washing them off of the brugs and checking them daily.

I am very grateful for any advice on the issue. I can take a picture if need be, but I haven't the slightest idea how to post it.

Comments (7)

• kayjones
    12 years ago

It's very NORMAL for plants to lose lower leaves as they produce top leaves. Just let Mother Nature take care of them (they will fall off as new leaves come on), or pull/cut them off if you don't like the look. They should be fine. Are they too dry? Are they too wet?

• AllanRandall
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They don't seem to be to wet or dry. I know that old leaves fall off, but these don't show any sign that they are going to fall off. They look normal only they have started pointing downward.

• kayjones
    12 years ago

Most likely, it has to do with the humidity. Mine do that sometimes and I just clip them off - new ones will most likely come on. If you've ever noticed, trees turn their leaves down and 'backwards' to conserve moisture.

• kasha77
    12 years ago

If the leaves don't seem to be anything other than pointing down, why don't you just leave them alone and let them do their work, photosynthesizing and producing food for the development of your plant? They don't sound unsightly or deseased. I'd leave them on. Just my opinion.:)

• rudy625
    12 years ago

I agree with Kasha,if it aint broke,don't fix it.Over the years,I have had some brugs do this,and they sort themselves out after a while. Don't take the leaves off,as long as they are green and produce food for the plant,they are ok.When it happened to mine,they all were fed the same food,and were under the exact same conditions.One would do this,and the others did not.At first I freaked out,because I could not understand why this happened.Why this happens,I don't profess to know,but left alone,and treated the same as the others,the new leaves came in normal,and the down pointing ones did their job and eventually dropped off.Some times we humans tend to over think things,and cause more damage than good. Plants have been around for a long time,and have survived despite our meddeling. So,just keep an eye on her,but don't treat her any different than the others,and see what happens. In my humble opinion,and not actually seeing the plant,it sounds like a slight case of a little too much fertiliser,but not enough to burn the plant.Instead of full,or slightly less than full strength,try 1/4 strength a couple times,and see what happens.If the plant is rather small,or a rooted cutting,the fert may have been just a wee bit too much for it,but it should recover and be ok. Just my opinion.
    Dan

• diggy500
    12 years ago

Hi Allan
    If it's midnoon and sunny, don't worry...
    A good watering will fix it..
    They almost all do this..no worries..
    cheers
    Diggy

• AllanRandall
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I guess I will just let it go and see what happens. I know that I'm certainly guilty of over thinking things. We have spider mites so bad that it's a constant struggle, so I try and spot any sign of something going wrong before its too late.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath