Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to Repot After Pruning?

Posted by MissMudPuppy z7 - L.I.,NY (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 19:24

Greetings all :). Just finished pruning off the last dead branches from my Frosty Pinks & would like to know how soon after can I repot them? Their new top growth has been straggly, stunted, & pale. They're hungry & also in dire need of a repot ASAP. I would like to start feeding them but don't know if I should wait until they're in the new containers or if it's safe to start now? The temps here have been between 55* - 68* daytime & consistently above 40* at night. Going to be putting the mama plant in a 12 gal container & the baby is going to a friend.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to Repot After Pruning?

Hello MissMudPuppy. I too am on the Island, and I would NOT put your brugs outside until the end of April, say after the 25th, and keep a blanket at the ready until the middle of May, just in case of a late frost. I expect frost tonight, the 20th. I am on the South Shore, Sayville.
For repotting, I would do that now but hold off on the feeding until you get them outside. When I put my brugs out, I feed them the same or next day to get things going.
Mine look pretty sad down in the basement right now, but they will just have to tough it out another week, and then they can be free.

o
RE: When to Repot After Pruning?

Good morning crocuscottage! Thank you so much for your reply! It's good to meet another fellow Long Islander :). I'm in the southern most part of Levittown. Did you have any damage from Sandy? I heard Sayville got hit pretty hard. All my friends on the South Shore either lost their homes or sustained severe damage & are still in the process of rebuilding.

My brugs are still inside & it's a good thing too with that frost many of us got last night! Upon your advice, I will not put them out until the end of the month.

I know what you mean about how sad they look right now. It will be amazing to see how quickly they rebound once they're outside :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here