Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danasplants

Monika

danasplants
14 years ago

Has anyone rooted this brug i hear its very hard to root any suggestion on the subject thanks Dana

Comments (8)

• ruth_ann
    14 years ago

Most doubles take a little longer to root than the singles do for some reason. I like to take a cutting that has a bit of woodiness to it,( not all new, green growth)and place it in a very open, well drained soil, then tent the cutting, pot and all in a plastic bag.
    The bag works as a mini greenhouse keeping the moisture in and the breeze out and you do not have to water again, the plant transpiring gives it the moisture it needs.
    Place it in a shady spot, not in direct sun and don't let the plastic rest on the leaves or the plant. When you see new growth, you know it has rooted and you can open the top gradually, letting it harden off to less moisture and breezes. Then you can harden it off to the sun carefully and you are all set.

• danasplants
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ruth makes scense thank you for the info going to try that Dana

• danasplants
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ruth wish me luck potted them up today and did exacly what you suggest thanks Dana

• ruth_ann
    14 years ago

Good luck Dana. I know the gal who grew out this seedling and she really liked it, thus naming it after the hybridizer Monika Gottschalk in Germany.

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Dana, wishing you luck in rooting Monika. Let us know how it progresses.

• danasplants
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I love all Monikas brugs theres not a bad one in the bunch!

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

My one remaining of 2 Monikas has a decent root system and a few small leaves growing back after I removed most of the winter grown stem, way too lanky for me. I'm not sure if I lost the other because I did this before it had 1 or more new outdoor grown branches or just the repotting messed up the roots. I also found my moisture meter doesn't even work which means I've been adding too much water, a big no no!

In my area, despite zone because of the great lakes around here, the moisture level in our air is very different during the seasons. Very dry in winter and much better in summer. This year, I will be leaving the bag on or around it while outside for a little while, but there is a threat of mold if too much moisture and heat builds up in the bag. I have little green house cones but they aren't big enough to be of much use for long. I'll just leave the bag open on hotter days, as the moisture level and heat would increase too high. At least until those temps stay up.

Monika Gottchalk is pretty picky about what her name is attached to so be sure hers are well chosen for us!

Good luck with your cutting, Ruth Ann gave sound advice.
    - Sandy

• danasplants
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Sandy I am going to give it my best shot usally here humidty is up we had a shower here this morning and its all ready getting up there I have a plant room I keep all my cuttings in there until they are rooted. Bag and heat matt and crossed fingers :)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH