Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
warrengk

brugmansia virus? please help (photos)

warrengk
13 years ago

Last year i cut back my shredded white brug as it had many mites, so i cut it back because the mites won! Well this year it started to come out from its branches and the new leaves were all white, now a few days after the leaves came out we had a frost and a few weeks later i started to spray what leaves he had with a systemic miticide as a preventative. Now the newer leaves look green and not distorted. This is a white and green distortion, not yellow and green. Could this be a virus, or cold damage along with spray damage? Let me know what you think, as i didnt have any problems with him last year. I made all clean cuts, and have no other virus plants around and i do not smoke. I battled mites all last year and never had any problem with foliage. Until the new leaves sprouted!

{{gwi:482551}}

{{gwi:482552}}

{{gwi:482553}}

This was him last year

{{gwi:482554}}

Comments (6)

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

I had huge green leaves on mine the first year and the next year it looked like that and barely grew and now I think its dead. No new shoots so far. Try giving it some epsom salt 1 tablespoon per gallon.

• warrengk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think i cut it back way too much, as you can see the flush of new growth is a lot. So i wonder if i stressed it or should thin out all that new growth. I just am stumped. Viruses are yellow mottling correct?

• msmorningsong
    13 years ago

Notice how the white is showing up at the leaf tips? It looks to me like the spray discolored inside. JMO, I think it will grow out in a few weeks. Lovely flowers too. Worth saving.

• xeriscape8321
    13 years ago

Viruses, mineral deficiency, and PH problems can be hard to pinpoint. If you don't have that plant planted in brand new fresh soil where you are confident that the PH is 7.0 that would be the first place to start. Lowes/home depot and may garden centers sell for under $10 a PH meter . Green box meter head and a long metal rod that extends from it. Take a damp soil meter reading. If the PH is not 7.0 you could be looking at mineral deficiencies in your plant caused by its inability to absorb them due to the PH imbalance.
    You can always adjust the PH by adding garden lime or sulfur. If this is just one potted plant you are dealing with. Go buy new soil and repot....if you start to see this occurring in several plants check you PH levels...the $10 investment in a PH reader can save you hundreds of hours of dread and many days of disappointment.

• BoozerMcSmurfPHD
    12 years ago

I've grown about 100K brugmansia...this is normal. Some plants get a genetic inbalance, and when it starts nothing is pulling it out. sometimes after a hard freeze dying back, the new shoots from the crown will correct themselves. I'll always start the new growth with a heavy feeding. Most of the time it doesn't work, it's set in its ways, on occasion can pull one out of this.

• chena
    12 years ago

A potted plant will lose the nutrients faster than a plant in the ground, I agree with Gary!! There is also a the environment that makes the leave a bit Funky... A PH meter is a good thing!!
    Sir Mc Smurf.. I would LOVE to see some pic's.. That is a lot of Brugs..We are all here to learn!!!!

Kylie