Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kasha77

flowering Pink Beauty cutting

kasha77
14 years ago

Hi all-

I received this 8 inch cutting of Pink Beauty from Francis last fall- it became root bound in a picnic cup, in my cellar, & grew 5 flower buds. All but 2 fell off, because I moved the cutting from my cool basement to my warmer dining room. I thought of pollinating one of the flowers, but thought it might be too much for the little guy. What do you think? Thanks Francis!

Kasha77

{{gwi:454811}}

{{gwi:483283}}

{{gwi:483285}}

{{gwi:483286}}

Comments (12)

• figara
    14 years ago

Wow ! Kasha you are so lucky to have such a small cutting with flowers on it. How excited you must be. Congrats.
    Pat

• marcie_new
    14 years ago

WOW great flowers!How did you managed such small cutting and such BIG FLOWERS!!! Congratulations, and thanks for posting I enjoyed seeing your photos. Marcie

• yaslan
    14 years ago

Congrats!! They're beautiful. How did you get them to bloom?!
    Bo

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Wow! I've seen plenty of short plants with blooms but that doesn't even have foliage. Pretty blooms but I think allowing it to try and produce a seed pod(s) might stress it too much. You could end up sacrificing foliage growth and that could lead to the eventual demise of the plant. Why don't you collect the pollen and save it to use on a different plant later in the season.

• Patrick888
    14 years ago

I think this speaks to the robust nature of Pink Beauty. Be sure to allow plenty of room for her & eventually a large pot...she's a BIG girl! I agree, do NOT try for seed pods at this stage. I'd even be tempted to remove the buds/flowers for the sake of channeling the energy into leaf growth, but I know how hard that is to do.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks everyone for the advice & compliments- the flowers fell off & the cutting is trying to produce seeds! I will take them off. I think the combination of being root bound plus the cool temps in my basement- ( root zone was 75*, the room was 60*)- caused the cutting to bloom. A few others bloomed as well. I have so much to do- better run!
    hugs~
    Kasha77

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Wow Fabulous!!!!

My cuttings and plants are all growing outside now! A long way from blooming, these cool nighttime temperatures sure are slowing things down outside!

That is one of the BIGGEST and most vigorous Brugs I have ever seen! Also bloomed very early outdoors last year (end of June from cuttings started at the end of April)

Gotta say it again! WOW!

Frances

• tommysmommy
    14 years ago

That's awesome, and I'm SOOO jealous!

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Wow Kathy, I'm amazed it didn't tip over the cup! Neat!

• chena
    14 years ago

That is so cool!!âºâº What else was blooming at the same time?

Kylie

• threas
    14 years ago

Hi Kasha, how is your cutting holding up after blooming it's little head off? Hope it's growing big and strong!

Theresa

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The other cutting that rooted was Ecuador White- they got really root bound in my basement, & the coolness of the air down there must have triggered the blooms. I fed them reg fertilizer & epsom salts, that's all. I planted the Pink Beauty outside yesterday, can't wait to see how she does!
    kasha77