Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keriann_lakegeneva

Where to plant Datura? Mixed advice ...

keriann_lakegeneva
14 years ago

I have searched and have found mixed opinions.

Background:

Double purple datura, grown by seed about 18" tall, very healthy seedlings.

I live in 5B avg summer temps 80-90* medium humidity. Clay soil but I add compost and potting soil.

I have irragation lines so water is not a problem.

How close should I plant them?

So.........

How will they do with 9am-1pm sunlight?

vs

Full sun?

I would like to full foliage and a a good amount of blooms.

What would you suggest?

Do they do better in containers? I can plant them in a 36", 24" or 18" container.. do they like their roots warm?

Thank you in advance

Keriann~

Comments (11)

• ashley_plant_addict
    14 years ago

These are such good questions. Especially since you have a seedling, not a full grown plant.

I live in Dallas, TX so we're already getting into the 80's right now, my Brugmansias do not like full sun unless I'm able to mist and water mid day, which I can't so they will become wilted by the time I come home. I'm now keeping mine in shaded sunlight. They love it! I'm not sure about Daturas, but I'd probably keep mine in shaded sunlight since I'm in TX and its harsh sun.

I can't wait to hear the answers to your questions. I too want to know what size pot to use. :)

Ashley

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Daturas are much more tolerant of extremes then brugs. I keep mine in full sun. We have high temps and high humidity late June thru mid Sept. I don't water or feed them very often. I have them both in pots and in the ground. They do fine in both but I do think they do a bit better inground. I'd space them about 3' apart.

• ashley_plant_addict
    14 years ago

Karyn, what size pot do you have them in?

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So full sun is the best? Will 9-1 sun work? just less blooms?

I am confused with the suggestions... I am growing Datura, not brugs.

Please help

Keriann~

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I only pot the non cold hardy varieties. By mid to late season they are in 10-15" pots.

AM sun should be fine. I was just saying that a datura can withstand full sun all day whereas many brugs can't. Whatever you do you will still have to acclimate them to natural sunlight if they've been inside. You should be able to accomplish that over a week or so.

• carol57078
    14 years ago

I,m in zone 5 and I plant mine in full sun, in the ground. I have alot of blooms

• chena
    14 years ago

Mine are in both partial and full sun.. They aren't real needy.. Plant them where you think they fit into your landscape the best.. AND Of Course!!! Be sure to post pic's.....LOL

Kylie

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all so much.

I really appreciate the advice and tips!

I am/was still looking for some brug seeds.....

My friend.. though I love her said she gave me Sang. Brugmansia (my FAV!!) seeds but they were carrots...lol You have to love non-gardeners... I have no idea how she screwed that up lol.. it was so funny..!! and a fellow GWM was going to send me seeds and that fell though as well....

So I am taking all of your advice from my other posts and get cuttings....from Brugs Country Garden, so I get blooms this year and get addicted :)

I am such a dork.. I already have a spot and a pot reserved for a brug.

Thank you again. I am excited to have so many daturas and a new brug in the garden.

Keriann~

• figara
    14 years ago

Keriann, if you still want some brug seeds I have lots of yellow. You do not have an email on your page. Contact me if you want seeds.
    Pat

• chena
    14 years ago

I also have some Brug X seed for S&H.. Jenny Lind X ? and
    MEM X ?.. seeds are really Fun! Good Luck!!!

Kylie

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the offers.

I will pass on the yellow, but thank you again :)

What color are yours Kylie? I know there is no guarentee but I would like dark/rich colors like Magic Mountain or similar.

Keriann~