Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovetogrowflowers

I have confirmed it's snails eating holes in my brugs foliage

lovetogrowflowers
12 years ago

I've been reading for the past hour and looking at pics as well after looking through my tiny little garden (haha) and finding snails on my brugs, way to many for my liking. Killed off at least 10 by scooping them on a paper plate and well, you can guess what i did next.

Anyway, Ive read everything from eggshells, copper, grapefruit rind, broken glass I believe was one, sand you name it.

I'd love a simple home remedy like that which is guaranteed to work on at least cutting down the damage they're doing. They did this last year as well, but this year I am determined to try and stay ahead of them.

Home remedies welcome please

I also read about diatomaceous earth. The only thing I have found that I can just go purchase without having to order online is:

Garden Safe 4 Lb. Crawling Insect Killer Containing Diatomaceous Earth sold at Lowe's. Anyone try that?

It says it "contains" Diatomaceous Earth, so I'm not sure it would be as effective as others being sold online. I'd much rather just pick it up at lowes if it will work just as good. Are there any differences?

Comments (6)

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I was just about to post about the slugs being back. I also have snails but they aren't terribly destructive and besides that they are pretty. The garden snails have yellow and black swirled shells so even though they eat a bit they get to stay. The slugs on the other hand are TERRIBLE!!!!!!! They are big and nasty and eat everything! I get them bad every year. Diatomaceous earth works very well but needs constant reapplication and is expensive. Unfortunately that's the only thing I can use as I won't use poison bait and all you get with beer are bowls of dead bloated slugs. That's even grosser then lives ones. I've also heard of copper tape but have never tried it. It would be really difficult to try and protect some plants/areas with it. I use straight DE. I've never heard of the product you are talking about but it probably works fine. I just don't know if it contains any poison. When looking for DE make sure you get agricultural grade and not the stuff used for pool filters. I decided I was going to save money and use the DE from our pool filter when the sand was changed. I later found out that it's dangerous, a carcinogen, or something. Too bad because there's so much DE in the filter and I have to go out and buy it.

• tommysmommy
    12 years ago

Guilty admission: One night I got so sick of slugs eating my plants, I sat outside with a flashlight as it began to get dark and they came out to play. Salt shaker in hand. Oh the glee!

• jardinerowa
    12 years ago

When I was a young lad, my Dad and I would go outside about 8:30pm at night with flashlights and go on Slug Patrol. We had spray bottles with ammonia in them and we would just find all the slugs and spray them each a couple times and that was that.

It is actually a fond memory that I have with my Dad.

Z

• gottahosta
    12 years ago

Z is right, the best way to take care of them is with plain, NOT soapy, ammonia. Mix it 1 part ammonia to 10 parts water. Spray into all the nooks and crannies where they hide, under rocks, etc. It works, altho it is a little more work than scattering slug bait. The ammonia is also harmless, a source of nitrogen for your plants.

Brenda B

• princealbert
    12 years ago

lovetogrowflowers
    DE is non poisionus- I use it for fire ants.
    I got mine in a 50 lb bag at the feed store. be sure that you get food grade.
    pa

• lovetogrowflowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the advice. I got me the Garden Safe Crawling Insect Killer Containing Diatomaceous Earth. It's all Lowes had. I didn't see anything other than that also at Home Depot, and our Wal-Mart barely carries anything.

I also circled the plant in copper tape. Believe it or not, it actually seems to work. I've been out both nights and watched the little ******** and they seem not to want to cross it. I did find one slug on the plant though. Not sure if it was just a brave slug or if it slimed its way up a low hanging leaf. Haha!!

Anyway thanks for all your help everyone.