Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ensatagirl

How, When, and With What?

ensatagirl
13 years ago

Should I fertilize my poor, starving brugmansia?

Comments (7)

• threas
    13 years ago

Brugs like lots of fertilizer. I'll let the experts help you with the particulars.
    But, a general growth fert. in the spring and a bloom booster a little later, follow manufacturer's directions for now. Epsom salt is also good for greening up plants and healthy root production.

Theresa

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

They are the hungriest plants I know, lol. They eat more than teenagers. Give them an assortment of things and they will grow like weeds. They like fish emulsion, compost tea, miracle grow, coffee grounds and just about anything else you can give them. I even put well rotted manure around them last year and time release stuff in the planting holes. Most people switch to bloom booster once they get blooming size. They can handle mild fertilizer every few days up to a full dose of miracle grow once a week. Mine would look better if I followed my own advice, lol. When I take the time to feed more they do wonderfully.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    13 years ago

This season I planted mine with the addition of composted cow manure + a cup of Milorganite around the root ball. Then I will occasionally work some more Milorganite into the soil every few weeks. We'll see how they do. A fellow grower is a big advocate of Milorganite and his brugs got huge with many blooms last year. Some folks won't use Milorg., but it is organic and won't burn plants. I would probably not use it on vegetable plants though.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Dave they had Milorganite on sale at HD a couple weeks ago. I finally broke down and bought a bag but I can't bring myself to use it. lol

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

It stinks when its wet, lol. I have a bag I have been afraid to try because of that, lol.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

I have been using milorg the last few years on the brugs and plumeria. It really makes them green up, grow, and bloom like crazy. Just make sure it is well mixed into the soil around the brug or into the planting hole, or just bury it good right next to the plant. Do not let the milorg get up against the stem of your plant and sit on top of the soil because the flies will lay eggs in there and they could burrow into the stems of your brugs (been there-done that). Same goes for manure. I dont use milorg on edibles even though it is supposed to be safe just because it sounds too gross lol but works great for the ornamentals. I am using composted chicken and bunny manure on the brugs this year as well and they are rewarding me with lots of blooms.

• peony_tx
    13 years ago

This year I used milorganite on my cannas, bannanas, and brugs and they all seem to love it.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists