Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovetogrowflowers

Brug foliage question

lovetogrowflowers
13 years ago

First off, my brug that was seeping liquid after I made a bad cut is doing fine. I kept applying baby powder and reduced watering really seemed to have done the trick. It's growing nicely, and the foliage looks good.

I've noticed during the day the foliage sticks outward as I would expect, you know like normal plants. However, as the sun goes down and it gets later, some of the foliage on my brug is pointing upwards. I mean it's almost as if the leaves are forming a cup. One section of the foliages tips pointed straight up towards the sky.

I'm not talking about curling leaves, bumpy or any type of disease. They do it everyday. It looks so neat. Then by morning they are pointing out towards the side of the plant again. It has some big leaves on it already. Probably about 2-2.5 feet tall.

My question is, what is the brug doing during this time with the leaves pointing up towards the sky? Just curious as it seems normal, but none of my other plants seem to do this, if so I haven't noticed. I think it's neat.

One other question, I'm very new to plants and debated long and hard about cutting back some cleome I planted. I read they branch out more by doing so. Well, mine was about 1.5 feet tall, already bloomed and the bloom was looking bad. It only has to main branches. This particular branch had bloomed and a seed pod was already forming. Well I want a longer blooming time so read that Deadheading would help it branch out plus stop the process of forming seeds already. The blooms on cleome are tall, so I read some more and cut below thd seed pod where new growth was.

The question finally: how long does it take to start growing again? I mean will the supposedly 2 new branches form right at the top of the cut or will the new branches actually be below the cut? How will I be able to tell the difference between what I'm hoping will be extra branches versus what look like to me now just side leaves/branches? I confuse myself. Help!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus