Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starofleviathan

Newbie Brug Owner Needs Advice

starofleviathan
11 years ago

Greetings all! I just acquired a 4 ft Brugmansia for my Mom as her Mother's Day present & am trying to learn as much as possible about caring for it. It's already got new growth & tons of buds all over it & a few are getting ready to open. I understand these babies are heavy feeders & require a regular feeding schedule. I also own a Plumeria, which is also a heavy feeder, & usually alternate feeding it with Grow More Hawaiian Bud & Bloom, Green Light SuperBloom, Carl Pool BR-61, or Jack's Bloom Booster (which ever I can find for the season) along with some NutriStar. Can I feed the Brug with what I feed my Plumie? What fertilizer is best for Brugs? Since Brugs are part of the tomato family, can they be fed with a tomato food & if so, which one?

Comments (10)

• starofleviathan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

UPDATE: Since I brought this Brug home 5 days ago, 2 of the buds are getting ready to open BUT I noticed some of its leaves, new & old ones, along with some new buds, are starting to drop. The leaves are turning yellow too :(. The weather for the past 5 days has been between mid 60's & overcast/raining & sunny high 70's. I bring the Brug inside when evening comes as I worry 45-50 degrees at night could be too cold (?) for it & then put it back outside on the patio alternating between filtered sun & full sun once morning comes - not sure which it seems to prefer. Can they get leaf burn? I've watered & misted it being it's warm but not humid enough here yet. I'm wondering if it needs to be repotted? I don't see any roots coming out the bottom but it's in a 10" brown plastic pot. Going to start giving it DynaGro & ProTekt alternating with GrowMore Seaweed extract. Any thoughts, comments, warnings, tips, jokes (ha ha) appreciated. Thx all!

• eloise_ca
    11 years ago

MMP, I don't have any answers because I've never fed my brugs and they thrive in the ground. It's natural that some leaves would turn yellow and drop; I'm assuming the plant is trying to adjust from possibly being grown in a greenhouse to its new environment. Just make sure you don't over water as it can rot the roots. Hope someone provides more 'professional' advice soon.

• starofleviathan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good morning Eloise! TY kindly for the reply :)! How I wish I lived in an area where I could put my Brug (& Plumie) in the ground! I know they'd be so much happier. Technically I believe I could attempt it but I'd have to dig em up before the first frost & I'm scared to death of wrecking the roots.

Finally got around to getting some pictures that might help anyone Re: my query as to what could be going on with my Brug:

{{gwi:489070}}

{{gwi:489071}}

I do have some happy news to share: one of the buds finally opened yesterday evening & I discovered my Brug is pink with a very delicate scent. Odd being I thought pinks were supposed to have a little stronger/more exotic aroma (smells more like a cross between Cashmere Bouquet & Ivory soap to me). Does the scent intensify over the course of a few days or what? Sorry if I sound like a horse's patoot - completely new to this & trying to understand the ins & outs of Brugs before I inadvertently kill mine LOL. Looks like 3 other buds are getting ready to open within the next few days too so as soon as they bloom I'll take some pix to share :). Happy day to you!

• kasha77
    11 years ago

Hi MMP and welcome to the brug forum! :)
    First of all, I want you to take a deep breath -
    and relax!! :)
    Let your angel get used to it's new environment. It is very normal for the lower leaves to fall off as they mature. Sometimes you'll get bud drop when you change it's location, or if it gets too hot.
    Where are you located in zone 7? I'm in zone 7b, NC and leave my angels in ground all year. I mulch them and they come back for me. They will grow better and stronger if you plant them outside.
    I have some in full sun, and some are in part sun part shade. They all love it, but those with variegated leaves appreciate a little shade to enhance their leaf variations. Angels with lighter green leaves don't like full sun all day, they need part shade. (mostly the yellow bloomers)
    When the blooms are finished, why don't you un pot it to see if it needs re potting? Your brug may need re-potting if it is root bound. I have learned not to be timid around these plants. Investigate and you will learn if they are rotting, too dry, pot bound, etc.
    Only water when the top soil is dry to the touch, maybe down to the first knuckle of your finger. Make sure there are adequate drainage holes, as these babies will rot. Better too dry than too wet! (kind of like your plumie culture)
    Looks to me like your leaves have been burned a bit, either by over fertilizing or the sun. You could wait a bit to feed them. If you see a lot of small grey or white balls in the soil, it could be Osmocote, a fertilizer that nurseries add to the potting soil. That stuff is good for a few months.
    If you see growth slowing down, you can fertilize with a bloom boost formula, one who's nutrient ratio is something like 10-30-10. I buy the "Expert" brand from Walmart for under $5.00 (read the label- those numbers stand for nitrogen, phosphorus and potash) For more blooms, the middle number needs to be higher. I've found a fertilizer at Lowes with 50 for Phosphorus. Works great! Experiment, but be careful. If leaves start to twist on the stem, that means too much fertilizer. (I know, I too am over nurturing:)
    The ideal temps for brugs are between 50 - 80*, although they tolerate down to just above freezing and into the 100's. (I know by experience) Your temps right now are perfect for bloom formation. They also will bloom profusely in the fall when temps cool down.
    In the fall, just before I get a killing frost, I cut my babies down to 8 inches above the ground, and let them air for a few days, til the cut stops weeping. Then I cover the stems and ground around my plants with leaves or any kind of mulch, at least 8 inches deep. This protects them all winter. The stem rots to the ground, but the rootstock pushes up new stems and leaves now, in the spring. Then I carefully pull back the mulch, little by little for the sun and rain to reach it. If it gets too cold again, I cover them back up.
    Don't be afraid to ask questions. Usually there are a whole bunch of us here to answer, but I think everyone is so busy outside with their gardens. Again, welcome and stick around! We're a great bunch of friendly folks!

• starofleviathan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bless your heart Kasha & eternal gratitude for your advice (as well as alleviating my anxiety about my brug)! O.K. deep breath...ahhhh. A humble thank you (*does curtsy*) for welcoming me to the forum :-D ! It's a pleasure to meet you as well as all the other gardening enthusiasts on here. I'm learning new things & enjoying the camaraderie. Happy day!

I'm on Long Island - usually we're classified as being in Zone 6 but some sites have us @ 7. My brug's tag said no direct sunlight but I'm not exactly sure how much is too much so I've been moving it around the patio where it can get filtered sun. Since it bloomed, I discovered mine is a suaveolens, with a deep salmony-pink blush on the ends. When it first opened it was white & then as the night wore on it changed color :). 2 more blooms opened last night & the entire room smelled like lemony roses with a faint honeysuckle. Wasn't too thrilled about the scent initially but I guess it had to develop more as the bloom matured (?). It's esp nice when there's a chorus of blooms open - but I don't need to tell you that ;D. Had to bring it in again last night since we're getting some pretty strong winds & I didn't want to chance leaving it outside in the gales, esp while it's still in its dinky little pot. The numbskulls @ the nursery where I got it said it "really needs to be repotted" & upon examining the bottom of the pot I would concur but unfortunately it's in active blooming right now so repotting/planting will have to wait. Will it die if I don't plant/repot it yet? Since you explained what to do with the brug before winter, I do feel much more confident/comfortable putting it in the ground. TY!!!

When I got my brug, it had a lot of damage to its leaves; most of them had tears in them because they had it outside & the wind kept blowing it over. Was apprehensive about getting it to begin with because of all the damage as well as the fact that there were no blooms/markings to indicate its color, genus, etc (yikes) but I was desperate to find one for Mom & out of the 5 plants on display which were white, the nursery owner said it was the only pink one left & if I wanted scent, pink or yellow was the way to go (?).

Any idea how long it takes them to adjust to their new environment? Still dealing with the yellowing leaves although it seems to have slowed down a bit since moving it indoors for the day. The immature baby leaves are being affected as well. I'm wondering if it could be a nutrient deficiency (nitrogen or magnesium usually). I noticed where the leaves are turning yellow & dropping that the green stem is turning woody. There's a lot of new growth all over but it's drying up & dropping off too. Been checking for mites - saw a few & sprayed with a castille soap & water mix. So far so good but I know I have to keep @ it every 3-4 days for the next 2-3 wks to keep on top of them. Yucky evil little buggers!

TY for the advice about watering too! I watered it 3 days ago & today it feels dry enough again to give it a drink. It's raining today so I might as well fill my watering cans :).

Not sure what the nursery put in my brug's soil. Some of it looks like perlite & others look like it could be Osmocote or MiracleGro. Going to do a foliar feed on it & see if that helps improve the leaf yellowing issue.

It's perfectly alright that not many folks have responded. I'm just grateful people did :). As a busy gardener myself, I wholeheartedly understand how it is when it's "that time of the season" & all of us are tending to our plants & gardens. I just put my veggie garden in yesterday :). Can't wait for fresh home grown vegetables! I also grow roses, medicinal herbs, & tons of flowers. Had my Plumie for a yr & last yr it bloomed beautifully. This yr it's struggling so I suspect it's got rot somewhere. Going to unpot it & see what's going on.

Have a beautiful day!

In Love & Light ~ Angharand

• kasha77
    11 years ago

Hi Angharand -
    First of all, I don't understand why the nursery tag said no direct sun, especially where you live. You can give them early morning sun and afternoon shade if temps get over 90*. Your new brug won't die as it's waiting to be repotted. I've neglected to repot many angels for a whole year and they've survived. They're really tough, and WANT to survive, so don't worry too much! All of the damaged leaves will eventually fall off and be replaced by new ones as it becomes happy in it's new environment, which, by the way, might take a few weeks, so don't get anxious. I get aphids in my green house, and just use soapy water to kill the little pests. Superthrive is an excellent source of B1 vitamins and is great used as a foliar spray. It's a super boost to help plants in shock, just starting out, or as a foliar feed. I tried starting plumie cuttings this spring. 2 out of 5 made it, one has leaves, the other has buds! Happy growing and welcome !:)

• starofleviathan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Howdy! TY for the reply :). Hope you're having an enjoyable day :)(: ! The tag on my brug says it was grown in Canada by a place called Dutch Flower House & the only other things listed were: "Position: Light spot on terrace, balcony, or border, but no direct sunlight. Water: amply in summer. Don't let the plant dry out."

I have to admit I found it odd that this particular local nursery was able to procure these plants & no other place on L.I., not even the higher end ones, had, nor carried them. Don't know how this place got them & not sure I want to lol.

I'm truly grateful for your helping me learn how to care for my new brug :D. Thx for the heads up about them dropping leaves for perhaps a few more wks. It's warm & humid here today after the storms & we're expecting more later tonight. Decided to see if it was too hot for the brug where I have it right now & noticed 3 more leaves (2 big, 1 little) are turning mottled yellow again & a few tiny ones were lying on the ground along with a flower that was only open for 3 days :(. Sorry to hear you get aphids. I also find the soapy water trick works the best :). I do have a small bottle of Superthrive that I use on my clematis & roses. Why didn't I think of using it for the brug (D'Oh!)?! Going to try a foliar feed after I log off. Thx again!

Awesome that you got 2 plumie cuttings budding! :D Congrats! Mine was gorgeous last summer but this yr it's really been struggling. I knew something was wrong esp since all my other plumie pals' had leaves on theirs. Finally got around to unpotting it & whaddya know? It's got root rot, as well as some trying to crawl up the lower part of the stem! Yikes! So I cut to clean white wood, dipped it in honey & Rootone, & have it curing for a wk or so till it scabs over & I can repot it. It's warm so Lord willing it should take. I know it probably won't inflo for a yr or so but that's o.k. The important thing is getting it strong & healthy. All the best to you :) !

• kasha77
    11 years ago

Honey and Rootone, very interesting! I'll try to remember that one! Good to have you here!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    11 years ago

This year I planted/replanted each brug into the ground or pot with a few shovelfuls of composted chicken manure.
    Never have I had so many blooms and the blooms are way larger than ever. I can't believe how big my Miss Emily McKenzie blooms are now WOW!! They are known to be large but they are crazy big. I have tried lots of things over the years...milorganite (which I really like), rabbit compost, worm compost, cow manure...I think the chicken manure is the best so far. I haven't fertilized once since Feb and they are still going strong. Nice big green leaves too.
    You can check your local Craigslist in the farm and garden section for manure lots of people will give it away free.
    ~SJN

• starofleviathan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hiya SJN! Thank you kindly for the scoop on poop LOL. Definitely going to do that. My neighbor raises chickens so I'll ask him if he has any composted manure yet. Congrats on your Miss Emily McKenzie going bonkers with the blooms! That must be quite a sight! :-D

After doing more research, I finally figured out what's been going on with my brug, whom I've named Audrey Jr. ;-P *snicker*: it needs to be repotted/planted since it's outgrown its pot & needs fertilizer. I'm happy to report Audrey stabilized herself & hasn't been dropping any more leaves, etc. There's new growth coming on the branches but it's very slow which I know is because "she" needs food so I'm going to give her some poop & seaweed until my Dyna Gro arrives. Hoping to post some pix soon!

Have a splendiferous day! ~ Angharand :-)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH