Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rock_oak_deer

Question about 'Y' branching with photo

rock_oak_deer
15 years ago

This is my first Brug. I received it at the San Antonio plant swap in March. A most generous swap from Plantmaven.

It has been doing great on the deck and will need to remain a container plant as I can't plant it out in the yard. I have been reading here about asymmetrical leaves and "y" branching, but could not find photos to reference. Here's

a photo from today. Is this what I am looking for?

Thanks.

{{gwi:489154}}

Comments (16)

• karyn1
    15 years ago

It is so you should be getting buds in the near future. Congratulations!

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much. I am really looking forward to seeing the blossoms now that I know it's on track to bloom this summer.

We went to our Botanical Gardens last Sunday and they had a large brug in full bloom. It was such a show stopper that it had it's own volunteer to answer questions. Unfortunately the camera batteries were dead so I can't share the photo.

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

Try giving it a tablespoon of epsom salt in a gallon of water to help it green up and give it bloom booster. Yes that is asymetrical leaves so you should see buds soon.

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks fool4flowers. I had thought it seemed a little yellow, but am just figuring this one out. I don't think I'd heard of the Epsom salt idea. I have been putting a little Super Bloom 12-55-6 in the water each day and I put slow release in the potting soil.

I have seen some debates on the container forum about the effectiveness of bloom boosting formulas, but I had this one so in it goes.

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I switch to a bloom booster on mature plants after they've been out of dormancy for a little while. Use the epsom salts once a month. It's the magnesium that helps green up the foliage. You can also add micronutrients every couple weeks like Superthrive or Thrive Alive. There's other brands as well but those are the ones I use. You can add foliar feedings with the Spray n Grow trio. I've also started using Pro-tekt with every feeding. It's a potassium/silicon formula that is supposed to help stregthen cell walls and protect against sucking insects. Brugs are very heavy feeders. I don't have any other plants that get fertilized once a week during the growing season.

Here is a link that might be useful: pro-tekt

• plantmaven
    15 years ago

Here is the "mother"plant.

{{gwi:489156}}

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kathy,

That is absolutely breathtaking. Is it planted outside all year? We get a little colder up here in North Central SA, so I don't think I can do that. I'm going to need a bigger container.

Thanks karyn - I'll definitely check out the thrive products and pro-tekt, I have several plants that need something like that.

• ruth_ann
    15 years ago

Lovely canopy on the mother plant plantmaven.

• plantmaven
    15 years ago

Yes, this is out all year. I have two pink and 2 yellow. I cut off the tips that got nipped and it came back. Under this tree are daylilies, agapanthus, which will need to be moved this fall.

I had 3 outside when I lived in Timberwood Park.
    Some years they froze to the ground and some not. But always came up from the root if the froze.
    That house was empty for 11 months and they did fine.
    This plant is in the area of Loop 1604, Bandera Rd. and Prue.

Thank you Ruth Ann. Not my doing. But I think Mother nature did a fine job. LOL!

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, that is good news. Timberwood Park is north of Hollywood Park where I am, so I could plant them out once we create a garden enclosure that will keep the deer out. Some sites say the deer don't eat Brugs but those branches look like a perfect place to rub their antlers.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Rock oak Deer I must response to the deer eating brugs. But first I knock on wood. AU that hurts lol.

I have a deer jump into my front flowerbed that is by the front porch. Have this HUGE double white candida brug there and others I placed there JUST to scare of that deer. So far it has NOT touched the brugs. Nor the Datura. But everything else :-( Also have brugs growing without a fence under the carport and the deer will or have not touched it yet.

Thought I share it. Then you never know when the deer get SO hungry that they WILL eat brugs :-(

Lucy

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    14 years ago

Goodness! When I first started scrolling down to see the photo, thought there was going to be a purple brug!

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Lucy can you believe that the deer in this area will munch a bit on brugs and daturas. We must have wildlife with substance abuse issues. lol They don't eat that much like they do most of the other plants but I've found plenty of brugs and dats with the new growth eaten.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Karyn roflmao about the substance abusing deer lol. That is why I knocked on wood. I know they will eat about anything when there is no food to be had.

Your deer must be very happy animals after eating the brugs ....Can you imagine...a deer high from Brugs!!

Lucy

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lucy,
    Thanks for the advice about brugs and deer. With the drought right now they are sampling lots of things they usually ignore. I will plant the brug out when we get some more raised beds. Too durn hot out there now to build beds.

I have read that deer eat different things in various parts of the country. Someone from the mid-atlantic area (I think) posted recently that deer chow down on her red tip photinias. In my neighborhood, they never eat red tips even in a drought.

We did see an apparently "high" deer once. He was maybe a year old and ran around in the same circle looking crazy for a while. The rest of the herd just kept on browsing for breakfast. It was pretty funny because he kept jumping over the same bush exactly the same way each time.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

rock oak deer you have me in tears with the deer story roflmao

Lucy