Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In-Ground Brugs Still Alive?

Posted by Guitar4Him Central NC (My Page) on
Wed, May 21, 14 at 12:30

We had two brugs (1 yellow, 1 pink) that we decided to try to winter in-ground. We cut them even with the ground and mulched them heavily. So far, we haven't seen any new growth appearing around the in-ground stumps. Should we be seeing new growth by now or do we just need to be more patient?

We got a bunch of cuttings from the plants when we cut them back last fall which we rooted in the house during the winter. Many of them have done quite well. We could replace the in-ground ones with some of these cuttings if they're DOA but we don't want to act prematurely.

When/how should we determine that our old plants didn't make it?

Ken

This post was edited by Guitar4Him on Wed, May 21, 14 at 12:32

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In-Ground Brugs Still Alive?

I live in North Texas and some of mine have not put out from the roots as yet though many have. We had a most unusual winter here, so guess anything is possible. Since the three that have not sprouted as yet are full sun brugs, I have decided to give them until the middle of June. Many of my brugs have been inground since '05. I hope yours all come back.

o
RE: In-Ground Brugs Still Alive?

I grew brugs in 14 gal. containers last year and left them where they were all winter . Since I had taken many cuttings , I wasn't really concerned if they came back or not . I gave them no special care. But they have come back ( 3 of 3 ). The new growth came out as much as 6 inches from the old trunk . I'm in Shelby N.C , about 40 miles west of Charlotte . I did , however , plant all three in the ground and replaced them with cuttings from last which had much more growth . so that I might have blooms earlier in the season. All 3 are doing well. So I wouldn't give up completely on yours . Good luck . I have yellow & pink NOID . What kind do you have ? I'd love other colors and ones with double blooms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here