Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning baby Brugmansia

Posted by markj84 none (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 14 at 12:36

Hi,

Just joined the forum after having bought my first Brugmansia. On holiday in Berlin a few weeks ago and saw these in a botanical garden, knew I just had to get one once I got home... and i did!!

I've had a search and cannot find a conclusive answer that I want (I know most newbies will say this!).

Anyway, it will be grown in a container and I've read some posts saying to cut all growth from under the 'Y' and others to only cut the leaves not the stems. I've added a picture of my new baby and as you can see there is a prominent 'Y' near the top, but another stem on the left side underneath (plus a tiny one growing at the bottom). Should I remove this stem growing on the left side and keep everything above the Y, or leave it be?

I'm after more of an ornamental tree affect that a shrub.

Many Thanks!! I look forward to perusing the forums no end!

Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning baby Brugmansia

They bloom above the Y..................I would leave it be.

o

Thanks for the reply carrie. But what about below the Y?

o

You could trim that little sucker if it is bothering you, but the plant needs to be left as it is until after it blooms. I trim only what is necessary on mine unless I am taking cuttings, and yours isn't ready for that as yet.

o

Hi mark, this is one of mine last year. Removed all the growth from under the "y" to try and get more of a tree effect, but I'm not keen so will allow it to do its own thing this year. I would advise to take cuttings at the end of the the year and root them in water, just in case it doesn't overwinter. You can buy some great Brugs on ebay. They are poisonous so be careful with kids
Kind regards
Averil uk

This post was edited by averil on Sun, May 4, 14 at 17:55

o

This was another. Pic was taken through glass doors at night so a lot if reflection

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here