Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovetogrowflowers

Question about Brug space

lovetogrowflowers
13 years ago

I have planted my brug in the ground about a month ago. It is looking great (for a newbie) and growing fast. I planted it to close I think to my wooden fence. I hope not. I do not want to move it :(

It's about 1-2 foot from the wooden fence. Will the plant just adapt to its space and grow away from the fence or am I going to have branches/blooms all bunched up against the fence?

Comments (11)

• karyn1
    13 years ago

It should be fine. I wouldn't worry and I wouldn't move it. If any branches grow where you don't want them just trim them off. You can root what you remove or toss it in a compost pile.

• chena
    13 years ago

DITTO!! They will be fine ...Where's the pic's???

Kylie

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

Here are some I had planted down the fence row at my old house last fall. I swear there was a six foot fence behind these when I planted them lol. The good thing about planting them along a fence is that you can screw those eye screw thingys into the fence and put ropes or other ties in to support them when they get too heavy. I had to trim them alot to keep them out of the nieghbor's yard.
    {{gwi:480794}}
    {{gwi:490220}}

• peony_tx
    13 years ago

Beautiful! I love it when they get the big leaves going on. My in ground brugs do better, even after dying down to the ground than those in pots.

• gottahosta
    13 years ago

Lenette- that is just beautiful!
    I have a rail fence, with a whole bunch of potted brugs along it- I even had my grandson put up another 10' section for 5-6 more plants- yes, that is close but it has worked for last few years. Real handy for supporting those tippy pots!

• ruth_ann
    13 years ago

Yours look smashing considering they are in pots!!! Mine never did that well in pots, it may have been the difference between your zone 8 and my zone 5, my season is a lot shorter.
    Scott, considering you are Zone 8, why don't you plant them in the ground and save yourself a TON of work and watering????

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

lovetogrowflowers, do you have a pix of your planted brugs? We would love to see them.

Lenette, love your jungle!

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

WOW SJN! Gorgeous photos of your brugs!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

Thank you, so sorry about the pic quality, my camera is on its last leg I think. Most of those brugs were in the ground but there were a few potted ones mixed in.

Brenda: That is a good way to do your brugs. You can just keep adding fencing and keep on going....

I am in a new place with more room now but have been real slow about getting the brug beds in here and most of mine are still potted that I dug up and moved. They are really suffering in this heat. I feel pretty guilty every time I go out and water them lol. I put getting the vegetable gardens in ahead of the brugs..poor babies!

Ruth Ann is correct about saving a lot of time (and water) on watering when they are in the ground. I could even skip a few days and get away with in when they were in the ground.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

They look great. That little alleyway must smell wonderful in the evening. I wish we'd get our damn fence repaired already so I could plant my brugs and other stuff. We had damaged areas of fencing repaired last spring but the blizzard this winter damaged several more sections and we're having a terrible time getting someone out to fix it. It stinks because that's where the majority of my plants go, not just brugs.

• threas
    13 years ago

Wow, Lenette! Your brugs are gorgeous!
    Karyn, it sucks you can't get the fence fixed. I am so glad my DH is handy. The couple of things we did need professionals for was like pulling teeth, getting them to call back or actually come out when they said they would. You call 5 guys and 1 or 2 show up. Yikes!!!!

Theresa

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida