Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Your favorite brug for scent

Okay. I know there have been tons of threads like this one all over the internet however there are also tons of new brugs being produced each year so I figured I might as well start a new one. :)

I love fragrant plants (just ask the folks on the fragrant forum) and tend to become obsessed with genuses (just ask the folks on the plumeria forum).
This year it looks to be brugmansias for me. Laugh.

My favorite for scent thus far is Charles Grimaldi. I've also had Betty Marshall and probably Frosty Pink (my first brug which was not labeled).
I've had New Orleans Lady and though it was indeed fragrant I preferred Charles Grimaldi's scent.

This year for fragrance I'm trying the following:

Supernova
Mandarin Twist
Butterfly
Audrey Hepburn
B. versicolor (probably peach?)
Almost Eden's fav for scent B. x candida var aurea

Would anyone care to share their favorites for scent and can you possibly describe the fragrance or the scent intensity? Does it waft? etc.

Of course I've got some on my list that I just can't find any sources for so those will have to wait (Antique Lace, Citrine, Seminole Moon, El Dorado, etc.).

Thank you,
Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Thu, May 29, 14 at 12:25

Comments (21)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess this forum is not very active.

I'm super excited to see two tiny flower buds on my Supernova! I know I've got a long way to go before I get to hopefully sniff the blooms if all goes well but it does make me smile every time I see them. :)

Charles Grimaldi is loaded with flower buds that are getting longer each day. It should smell divine when all those blooms open!

-Robert

• technodweeb
    9 years ago

Not sure where everyone is now.

Someone said they now frequent facebook. . . instead of here.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    9 years ago

The suaveolens type brugs usually have the stronger lemony scents (my dh called it lemon dish soap smell lol. A lot of the doubles seem to have a more powdery scent. I like NOL best.

• ruthz
    9 years ago

Super Nova is one of my least fragrant.
    My favorite's for fragrance that I have are Dr. Seuss, Charles Grimaldi and Whiskers. My family always says it's smells like a perfume factory in our back yard when I have a lot blooming.
    The fragrance reminds me of lemon baby powder with maybe a hint of musk.
    Not all of mine have bloomed. I think I read somewhere that xena smells like cherry vanilla. I'm hoping it will bloom this year but my inground plant did not come back so it's just a small rooted cutting.

• carrie751
    9 years ago

Ruth, I agree with the fragrance of Dr. Seuss. It was so pleasant to walk out my back door to it, but sadly, I lost that really big one in that spot this past winter. Think he just couldn't take the roller coaster winter we had. Now I am waiting until my other two get big enough to take cuttings so I can put another one there.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hooray! This thread is picking up steam! :)

Ruth, I've been curious about Whiskers. I see it's a cross between Charles Grimaldi and B. aurea. Is the scent similar to Charles?
    It's on my wish list!

Interesting about Supernova being your least fragrant. Some people say it's very fragrant and has a divine scent.
    Guess I'll just have to wait and sniff for myself!

My friend in OKC has Dr. Seuss....perhaps I need to get a cutting from her? :)

-Robert

• ruthz
    9 years ago

Robert, maybe different things factor in such as soil and location. I grow my brugs in containers.
    Whiskers fragrance to me seems like a lighter version of Charles Grimaldi but lasts later up into the day.

I keep Super Nova because my daughter loves it and it seems to bloom more than a lot of my other ones, but I find the fragrance very light.
    Yes you should get a cutting of Dr Seuss. If I could only have one, I guess that would be the one I'd keep.

Carrie, what a shame yours died. It was so beautiful.
    I lost the only inground one I had (Xena) and Super Nova died back but is coming up now. I also lost some of the new ones from the fall cuttings.
    As of yesterday, I have 3 blooms on my Isabella.

This post was edited by ruthz on Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 0:34

• carrie751
    9 years ago

Golfito/Isabella is a dependable brug, Ruth. She was the first inground to emerge this year, but I don't have blooms as yet. I just cannot seem to get around to fertilizing as I should. I found a rooted cutting of Canary Bird that I didn't know I had.............must have been left over from the brug cutting last fall. The blooms on your Isabella are lovely........nice to have them blooming "on time" somewhere in my area.

• msmorningsong
    9 years ago

I have Xena and concur, it does smell like Cherry vanilla, and even when it's super hot outside it still smells strongly
    of this. I also love the scent of Fleming Island Rachel, because it smells like vanilla too. LBG smells very strongly too, and when it's in bloom it's so nice to just sit out at the table underneath and drink in the scent...mmmmmm

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your input!
    I've been curious about Xena's scent and of course it's on my wish list. Laugh.
    Now I'll be doing some research on Fleming Island Rachel and LBG. :)

I've added some new ones to my collection.
    Some are either small plants or cuttings.

Dalai Lama
    Pink Dragon
    Jacayna
    Rosamond
    Dr. Seuss

Oh, and Supernova finally bloomed and I agree with Ruth that so far it does have a light scent compared to the other brugs I've sniffed.

-Robert

• msmorningsong
    9 years ago

Ahh Dalai Lama!
    An almond scent if ever I smelled one. Lizzy did the Brugmansia community a huge favor with this outstanding bloom and delicious scent.
    Glad to hear you have it.
    edit: My Dalai is currently in bloom and this morning knocked me outta my socks 50 feet away! I knew it was 'The Dalai' blooming before I even saw it!

This post was edited by MsMorningSong on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 9:53

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yay! Glad I picked one with a nice strong scent.
    Can't wait to sniff it for myself! :)

-Robert

9 years ago

Yes I did/do have Antique Lace. I don't remember it being especially strong smelling. Kinda forget what it smelled like lol. It was one that I had left out for the winter last winter and the tag got pulled off and I have a group of about 6 brugs that haven't bloomed yet without tags so I think it is probably in that group. They have a smaller white flower that ages to beige at the edges.

Here is a pic of it when it was blooming. I hope I still have it lol.

{{gwi:490312}}

This post was edited by sultry_jasmine_night on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 15:39

Original Author
    9 years ago

Well Antique Lace may not be strongly scented but I sure do love its smaller blooms! Thanks for the pics and I hope yours made it. :)
    I guess I should just be happy with Audrey Hepburn when she blooms since the blooms look similar IMO.

-Robert

9 years ago

I guess I should have added that those are photos of the newer blooms, in a few days they age/antique to more of a light beige tone. I kinda like how they look after they age. They will hold the beige color for a day or so depending on the weather then start to wilt out.
    I like the smaller blooms too!
    I will post again- if it turns out that I still have it. I have very few single whites left in my collection and that was the only single white that lost its tag so it will be obvious -especially with the small flower size, what it is lol. I didn't have any seedlings that lost tags since I switched over to the metal tags that the chickens and turkey can't reach.
    ~SJN

Original Author
    9 years ago

I too love the look of the blooms aging to the light beige tone. Still working on getting one but honestly I've too many already. Audrey can get some beige when the temps are cooler so who knows.
    Oh, your chickens and turkey story made me laugh. :)

-Robert

• kasha77
    9 years ago

My favorites are Kelly Ann, a single pink with a strong candy like scent, and Tiara, a gorgeous white double that smells like perfume. I have a few Kelly Ann's, but lost all of my Tiara. Would love to have her again!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Kasha!

Just got Schloss Burg in the mail yesterday and today I won a Xena plant and a couple of Tiara cuttings on ebay.

This thread is dangerous! Laugh.

-Robert

• ruthz
    8 years ago

Robert,

I would love to hear an updated report on the fragrance of all your new brugs.

I have a few new ones, but they haven't bloomed yet. Most have tiny buds.

My Xena bloomed last year and became my favorite, but I lost it either from winter or too wet spring.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Ruth!

I'm still battling broad mites so unfortunately I've had to get rid of some even before I had a chance to sniff them. :(

Xena and Pink Dragon look and smell similar and are keepers.

I wasn't impressed with Shredded White. Maybe I should have kept it longer?

One I like that smells like Lemon Pledge is an unknown versicolor hybrid labeled Seminole Moon but I suspect it's Apricot Moonflower.

Logee's Moonlight Glow was severely attacked by mites earlier in the spring but if it makes it probably won't bloom until next year.

My insignsis from Glasshouse Works was looking magnificent with nice fat buds then the mites got to it. Hoping by spraying with sulphur that might give the plants a fighting chance.

Angel's Love keeps dropping buds. Had to throw out Tiara due to mites. It's been a frustrating year and I almost feel like I need to give up on brugmansias for a few years.

Would love to hear others thoughts on their favorite brugs for scent. :)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES