Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

OT: Garden Treasure peony

karyn1
13 years ago

I'm so excited, my Garden Treasure's fist bud opened. It is one of the most beautiful peonies I've seen. It's an intersectional, kind of a mix between a tree and herbaceous peony. The bloom is about 6" across and more yellow then shows in the pics.

{{gwi:490360}}

{{gwi:490361}}

{{gwi:490362}}

My Amethyst Falls is finally in full bloom. I like it so much more then the Oriental wisterias. Can someone tell me what the name of this dianthus is?

{{gwi:490363}}

{{gwi:490364}}

Comments (16)

• knotz
    13 years ago

Very pretty Karyn.

• plantlover49
    13 years ago

Karyn
    you have some Beautiful plants, you are lucky too have so many Blooms

Elizabeth

• figara
    13 years ago

I love them all.

Pat

• sibhskylvr
    13 years ago

That's beautiful Karyn! I love it! :)

Mike

• green_thumb_guy
    13 years ago

Karyn,
    your Garden Treasure is very nice. How long have you had it?

I was going to buy it or Bartzella.

Picked up a different double yellow called Smith Family's Double yellow.

How big is your plant?

:)

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got it last fall. I've wanted a yellow Itoh for a long time but didn't want to shell out the $$$. One of my DH's cut peony suppliers was nice enough to send me a 5 eye tuber as a gift.

That Smith Family's yellow is a beauty. It looks like such a bright yellow in the pics. There's another Itoh that I'd like called Kopper Kettle.

I'd like to get some tree peonies, especially Shimane Cho Juraka, but am not sure where I could put them. The herbaceous and intersectionals you can stick just about anywhere.

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Karyn, what a beautiful peony! We of course can't grow them here, but I am happy to see pictures of them :-) Did you check out dianthus superbus?

• green_thumb_guy
    13 years ago

I thought about Kopper Kettle too.

I have three tree peonies plus a bunch in pots. I have a lavender one that is Chojuraka - a lavender looking one. Not sure how different it is from the one you named.

My no name lavender and white are close to opening.

• gardenpaw
    13 years ago

Karyn,
    Beautiful Peony!
    Is it fragrant?
    I have the old pink variety white and red.
    Need to get some pics while there blooming!

Karen

• marcie_new
    13 years ago

I bought a peony at walmart and is now growing but I am kind of skitish for I had bought one before and it died on me during the summer and of course I di not saved the receipt to it so I could not get a refund or replacement, I also bought 2 bleeding heart roots and of course they did not come up and of course DH burnt the receip to them,so now I am thinking I should just buy the plants already growing and be done with it, for I so want bleeding heart plants.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Eloise that must be it and I remember planting seeds from one called Rainbow Loveliness.

GTG I'd love to see your tree peonies when they bloom. Can you just leave your container tree peonies out over the winter or do you have to make sure the pot doesn't freeze solid?

Marcie why don't you get a peony at a nursery? There's plenty that aren't expensive. Were your bleeding heats in a shady location? They do best in part to full shade in moist soil high in organic matter.

• Frances Coffill
    13 years ago

Karyn
    Lovely peony! I have only the old fashioned ones and they have just finished blooming, I miss their fragrance already! Is your yellow one fragrant?

I agree with Eloise, that looks like a 'superbus' dianthus, I have a couple of different colors.

Thanks for sharing your garden

Frances

• green_thumb_guy
    13 years ago

I'll post pics of them as soon as they are showy. The oldest is about 6 - 7 yrs old. I do a little event here starting on the long weekend and I now get requests from people to get Japanese tree peonies and other plants.

Last year, they were gone in 3 hours. I have tried for a yellow one and someone is always able to talk me into letting them have it - instead. My point, to answer your question is no I don't leave them over the winter in pots - but you can. It's a bit iffy in my zone - depending on the winter. I've had to in the past.

They are only in containers until they find new homes.

It's a nice day here today, I'll take some pics to show you how they look now.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm not sure that I'd be able to keep tree peonies in containers out over the winter because the soil would freeze solid but I probably could stick them in the unheated greenhouse. I'd really love to find some yard space to plant them. There's a GW member that lives near me that has the most spectacular tree peonies I've ever seen. Her yard is actually one of the most beautiful private gardens that I've seen. I can't wait to see your peony pics.

Here's a few regular herbaceous peonies. I think the first is a Raspberry Sorbet, Festive Maxima, and a few others that I can't remember offhand.

{{gwi:490365}}
    {{gwi:490366}}
    {{gwi:490367}}
    {{gwi:490368}}
    {{gwi:490369}}
    {{gwi:490370}}

• threas
    13 years ago

Karyn, your peonies are gorgeous!
    Is your Amethyst Falls wisteria growing on a support? Love that variety!
    Green_thumb_guy, I would love to hear about the tree peonies too! The pictures always look so pretty and so expensive. I wouldn't want to purchase them without hearing from someone with firsthand experience. I would love to see photos also.

Theresa

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Theresa the wisteria (2 vines) are growing on 15' spotlight posts. They grew up and now cascade down. I'm training some runners to grow on a nearby fence. This variety is much better behaved then the Oriental ones. I also have trumpet vines growing on the same posts so they bloom when the main wisteria flush is done though this one does send out a few blooms all summer.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz