Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Hope the 3rd time is a charm!

karyn1
13 years ago

There was a glitch with GW early this am and it didn't print any posts but 2 hours later most did pop up. It seems the one on this forum would only post the title and give an oops message for the body of the post. This is what was supposed to be under Mother Nature bites you in the ***

I've been thrilled with our unseasonably warm spring and my plants have been doing beautifully. I had a tray of brug seedlings inside, some really cool crosses that were outgrowing the community tray. I figure I'd pot them up outside over the weekend. I did so and we get a freaking frost Sunday night!!!! This is fairly late in the season for a frost. It's not unheard of but our frost date is 4/30 and temps had been consistantly above average for the past month. It looks like I might have lost all the newly transplanted seedlings. At least everything else that's outside is fine including seedlings that had sprouted outside and other seedlings that were transplanted the previous week.

Comments (12)

• haase
    13 years ago

Oh Karyn, what a bummer! I'm so sorry for you. But maybe some of them can be saved? I sure hope so.

Ingrid

• gardenpaw
    13 years ago

Im so sorry to heat that Karyn.
    The weather has been crazy everywhere!

Karen

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I can't believe how cold it's been the past couple days. It didn't get out of the 40's today. Last week we were in the 90's!!!! We've always had kind of strange weather here but it's getting way more extreme over the past decade or so. Global warming? We have to be doing something to cause this. There are natural cycles but I thought they were gradual. I've tried talking with my neighbor who's an atmospheric physicist and works for NOAA but his explanations tend to go way over my head.

• figara
    13 years ago

Sorry to hear that Karyn. Your plants were doing so good. I think everywhere the weather is crazy. Yesterday we had strong winds and 2 ,one gallon pots fell from a table on a 6 month old seedling and broke it from the roots.
    Hope yours will recuperate.

Pat

• antiqueorchid
    13 years ago

That really does suck. I was in bed warm and comfy when my husband came up and told me that we were going to have frost. So I got up and went out in my slippers and house coat to cover everything. I didn't want to get up but I am glad I did. I didn't lose anything but saw a bunch of dead newly potted annuals around town:( Not mine but still disturbing.

Denise

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    13 years ago

I set out some large brugs in the back beds over a week ago and fortunately they weren't zapped that I can tell. I moved all the other tender stuff indoors just in case (scores of plumerias, etc.). Fortunately I think we only got down to about 40 degrees.

• brseaton
    13 years ago

Wow Karen - that hurts. I live in Chesapeake Beach and luckily nothing was effected at all here. Hope everything rebounds.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dave I had some really tender plants out and they were fine. The only thing affected were those newly potted brug seedlings. I guess the transplant shock on top of the frost was just too much for them. A few aren't completely dead but I'm not too hopeful. My plumerias are ok but then again many looked like such sh*t after my bare root dormancy experiment that they couldn't look much worse. lol

It's warm today but is supposed to cool off again tomorrow. Up down, up down......

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

Karyn maybe only the top growth was affected and the roots will put up more growth. You couldn't have had a hard freeze, could you? We just got snow and more tonight, so everything is in, and beautiful blooming perennials are covered. My garden looks pretty silly. Hope they come back for you!
    Diane

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

These were small seedlings with only 1 set of true leaves. There is no real root system to come back from. I'm just leaving them as is. If some pull thru great, if not, oh well. Nothing else in the garden was affected including brug buds, tropical passiflora vines, some S. African natives, seriously tender stuff so the coldest temps must have been fleeting and the frost didn't settle on everything, thank goodness.

• plantlover49
    13 years ago

Karyn
    I am so sorry too hear that, hopefully soon you will start having good luck with your weather, I hope your seedlings will make a recovery

Elizabeth

• linda441
    13 years ago

Karyn--sorry to hear about the seedlings, but they may just survive. I hope so!! I got a late start on seeds this year--was afraid of another freeze so held off plantin, then only did about 8 a week until they all got planted.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm