Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

More pics

karyn1
13 years ago

Some more stuff in bloom in the GH. 1st is a miltonia that survived the greenhouse freeze of 08/09, one of the few surviving orchids : ( My little shrub that I bonsai'd but can't remember what it is. My adenium I grew from seed hasn't stopped blooming for 2 months and has probably put out well over 50 blooms. It's not the nicest specimen but it's sure putting out a lot of flowers. My Brazilian Candles that has been in constant bloom for almost 3 years. A tiny iochroma cutting that KHT sent me last year. I thought it was dead but put out new growth and is blooming. The bloom is almost as big as the plant. Last is P. aurantia.

{{gwi:491542}}

{{gwi:222919}}

{{gwi:222920}}

{{gwi:491543}}

{{gwi:491544}}

{{gwi:491545}}

{{gwi:491546}}

Some stuff outside. Lots of pics. The dwarf lilac towards the bottom is out of control and I really need to cut it back but it smells so nice. It's completely blocking the stairs that are to the left of it. It's a mess back there anyway but as long as it doesn't interfere with the BBQ pit I'm ok with it. DH doesn't feel the same though. lol

{{gwi:491547}}

{{gwi:491548}}

{{gwi:491549}}

{{gwi:491550}}

{{gwi:491552}}

{{gwi:491554}}

{{gwi:491556}}

{{gwi:491557}}

{{gwi:491558}}

{{gwi:491560}}

{{gwi:491563}}

{{gwi:491565}}

{{gwi:491568}}

{{gwi:225666}}

{{gwi:491571}}

{{gwi:491573}}

{{gwi:491575}}

{{gwi:491577}}

{{gwi:491580}}

{{gwi:491582}}

{{gwi:491584}}

{{gwi:491586}}

{{gwi:491588}}

{{gwi:491590}}

I should have a good amount of fruit on the quince as long as the critters don't get it and my Amethyst Falls wisteria should be in full bloom in a week 10 days. A couple of the racemes have begun to open. This flowers much later then the Oriental variety and is better behaved.

{{gwi:491592}}

{{gwi:491595}}

I'm sure the deer will eat the hostas shortly as well as many other plants. They had better stay the F away from my Fuyu persimmon this year!!!

Comments (13)

• ruth_ann
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Karyn, your pics are lovely as usual. What is the bush imaged just below the Lilac, the depth of colour is just stunning.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. The magenta bush is one of my overgrown azaleas and that's one of the smaller ones. I neglected to cut them back after flowering last season and didn't want to trim them late and forfit blooms this year so now I'm dealing with some that are over 6' tall. I must prune them as soon as the blooms fade or they'll eat my house. lol

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Karyn, I love your pictures, as usual. I am so happy that your plants are coming back. Saturday, I noticed the my gingers started poking out of the ground. Problem is that I thought they froze, and planted brugmansia plants almost on top of them. I think I will have to move the brugmansia, the gingers have seniorty. Barbra,

• taz56
    13 years ago

Lovely flowers the pohoto's are great!
    TY
    Susan

• sandysseeds007
    13 years ago

You're good with a camera Karyn. You've a few beauties in there. That orchid is about the prettiest I've ever seen, nice colors to. The azalea is vibrant! I don't even know what color my 2 footer is yet, I think it's pink, but after seeing yours I probably won't be as pleased with mine as I thought I would be.lol. I read that some types grow to a huge tree, and that you can tell if that's what you have if they grow more than 6" a year. The smaller ones grow about 2" a year. I read that at one site, so don't take it for fact. The picoteed bonsai'd plant is very attractive. I want an obesum every time I see one, and yours is a perfectly good one. The dwarf lilac and the columbine and that 8th one from the second group, I like all of them...and the 3rd one from the bottom... Well this can go on just too long...lol.

I enjoyed the share, thank you - Sandy

• sandysseeds007
    13 years ago

Here's a link with a few idea's on how to keep those deers away. Check out the last one - not the last paragraph which refers to what not to do. That's a new idea.
    Blood meal in pots or around plants will keep your squirrels or herbivores away to.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to keep deer away from the garden

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I wish I could put up an electrified fence around my yard like we have at the farm but not sure how parents would feel about their kids getting zapped if they come too close. lol Blood meal doesn't work well for me but I do mix up a concoction that includes rotten eggs that works well. It just needs to be reapplied often and I get lax and don't do it enough. This concoction will keep everything away, including people. lol I actually have about a half gallon left that I mixed up last season. I wonder how pungent that might be now of if it's deteriorated so much that it's ineffective? I'm too scared to take a whiff!

Those azaleas are about 30 years old and were already here when we bought the house. The original owners went kind of crazy with them and they are everywhere. Not only that but I usually get new plants from branches that have rooted from ground layering and I don't find them until they are fairly established. I had 5 huge shrubs removed a couple years ago to make room for other plants.

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Karyn, everything looks fantastic! The Brazilian Candle is gorgeous and I've always loved that honeysuckle, Goldflame?? (forgot name). Mine is blooming like crazy right now too!

• chena
    13 years ago

WOW!!! Your season is off and running!! Everything is just beautiful!!! I love the adenium!! Great pic's!!

• siam_cannas
    13 years ago

everything looks wonderful karyn

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Beautiful pictures and your yard is gorgeous. The only way I've found to keep deer away is to plant things they don't like. We have created small fenced areas that they can't get to also.

• figara
    13 years ago

Wow Karyn, I can not believe how many flowers you already have. I love the Brazilian Candles and the Orchid.

• threas
    13 years ago

So beautiful, Karyn! Love that miltonia. I love that you did a Bonsai,looks great! Also love that Adenium and the Scotch Broom!

Theresa