Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

OT pictures of my white hummingbird!

honeybunny2 Fox
12 years ago

I just got back my camera that my son took to a holloween party, and in it were the pictures I took last fall before I fell and broke my hip, of the white hummingbird that was at my house for 4 days.

{{gwi:493137}}

{{gwi:493140}}

{{gwi:493142}}

{{gwi:493144}}

{{gwi:493145}}

{{gwi:493146}}

{{gwi:493147}}

This is Frank, taking a siesta after a long day chasing squirrels.

{{gwi:493148}}

Comments (4)

• tommysmommy
    12 years ago

Wow! Could that be albino? It seems to have some green coloration, can you get more pics?

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I let two professionals take pictures, I was told I would get an email with pictures of the hummingbirds. I never got the email. With their equipment the pictures were angelic, so I just took a few. I was told that hummingbirds return year after year. Last year I retired it was my first time being there to see. I will be there again this year. I did not even know a white hummingbird was rare. I went to Lindas house and she got all excited, she came right over, both the ladies also came from Linda's house, with their professional cameras. Linda took pictures with her phone, maybe she will post them. I am the last house on a dead end street, and the property next door is owned by the state of Texas, no ones goes there. That is the reason I have so many hummingbirds, there were all diffrent kinds, I do not think anyone will have more hummingbirds than what will be on my street. The man two houses up is 87 yrs old and has been putting out feeders for years, he puts out 21, I only put out 9, so you can imagine, how many birds are there. I went thru 5 lbs of sugar a day. I made the nector just before I went to bed, then put it out at daylight. I have hugh oak trees, and the noise they made was as loud as sea gulls, its like no other sound. I think they all nested at night in my hugh oak trees and the trees on the states property.Linda and others in Rockport have hummingbird signs in their yards, giving permission to bird watchers to come into their yards to take pictures of hummingbirds. I do not have a sign, I had to put my dogs in the house, for those ladies to take their "money shots". They stayed for hours until it got dark. They will be suprised when they try to come back this year. Barbra

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

Love the hummingbird Barbra! Just curious, do you add red dye to the hummingbird's water or is that the ready made liquid? Either way, it's best to just use plain sugar and water mix (1 part sugar to 4 parts water) because the red coloring is bad for their health. They don't need it in their water to be attracted to the feeders. Cute doggy.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Eloise, the one I use is completely safe for the hummers, it is harder to find. I even think the other red color is safe now, from what I read. Its not necessary to add, but I like the color and so do the hummers. Barbra

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH