Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeep461

A small miticide Co-op

jeep461
14 years ago

I have been using a half bottle of Forbid for over a year and a half. It is time to throw a new one in the mix.

FLORAMITE SC Miticide 32ozQT and Stirrup M (8 oz) One of the latest and greatest. The rose society claims it is the best they have ever used. I know the commercial people are using this. Flormite is 1/4-1/2 teaspoon per gallon. Very economical stuff.

http://rosemania.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page9.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=360121572954

The total of the combo runs about 310.00 delivered. I thought a 2 - 3 or way split maybe a 4 way. I could never use the whole bottle. I will break it out in portions of $310.00.

Jim

Comments (25)

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I've been using Floramite for about a year and think it works great.

• jeep461
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Two slots taken. Need 1 or 2 more.

• jeep461
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Karyn, I have heard nothing but good things about it. It has an immediate knock down where as Forbid takes a while to starve them. I still like my anti-stress 2000. LOL but it costs more in the long run than the new miticides.

If it wasn't for mites everyone would be raising Brugmansia's.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I wasn't impressed with the anti-stress 2000. I think I still have a half gallon of it somewhere.

I got my Floramite from one of the growers that DH buys from. Like Forbid, a little goes a long way. You have to use more of the Floramite (1/4-1/2 teas per gal) then Forbid (1/8 teas gal) but it still doesn't take much. I like that they contain an ovacide and that you don't have to worry about spraying the upper and lower surface of the leaves.

• rialira
    14 years ago

I'd love to get in on this, but I can only afford a tiny share because I'm still out of a job.

any chance I could buy small quantities off you? maybe even buy some of your bottle of forbid if you're not using it as much anymore? the weird growth on my frosty pink scared me a bit, and I checked ebay and they don't have any miticides in small quantities :\

Ria

• jeep461
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, I have had a bunch of requests for smaller amounts. I need 1/3 or more myself. I have another 1/3 or 1/4 sold. So there is some left. An 1/8 (4oz) portion is about 43.00 including shipping and a 1/16 portion is about $24.00 (2 oz) including shipping. I will spring for all the extra bottles. If you do not want the attractant take take $ 2.00 of a 1/16 of the order and I will save on bottles.

LMK

• wildflower
    14 years ago

Jim you're awesome. I was DONE with brugs but I feel like this is going to work. Thanks for organizing this!

• rialira
    14 years ago

*cheers for jim*

can you tell me about the "attractant?" is it necessary?

thank you SO much for organizing this!

Ria

• jeep461
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"Stirrup M Behavior Modifying Biochemical (sex attractant pheromone)is a powerful way to control tetranychid mites when used in combination with a miticide (Floramite or Avid recommended). Applied at a rate of 1-3 drops per gallon with your regular miticide, Stirrup M increases the natural, instinctive movement behavior and search activities of the male mite. The resulting increased random movement brings the male into more frequent and prolonged contact with the miticide-treated foliage, resulting in better mite control. Highly recommend by Howard Walters of the "Rosarian Ramblings" column in the American Rose Magazine. "

per sales flyer .

It is not needed. Will it increase the kill ?? We all have to take a leap of faith on some of these things. Pheromone technology is relatively new. I will try anything that has the potential to increase my kill in a limited application spray.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stirrup M

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I'd never heard of Stirrup M. I've used both Floramite and Forbid successfully without the addition of the attractant but can see where it would help, especially if you have a wide area to cover.

• studaddy
    14 years ago

Do you still have 2oz left?

• rialira
    14 years ago

huh! that's fascinating... I'd definitely want to try it.

how much of both hasn't been spoken for yet? is there somewhere we should contact you to "reserve" some?

Ria

• jeep461
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Contact at email address next to user name above.

I will keep 1/2 myself. Another 1/3-1/4 is spoken for waiting on reply as to amount.

That leaves 4-6 of the 1/16 parts.

One is taken.

So there is somewhere between 3 and 5 left.

I do prefer PayPal. I will probably order it tonight as mite season is in full swing here. Forbid is keeping them at bay but they brush their teeth with Avid here. So I need a new one for the rotation.

Jim

• rialira
    14 years ago

e-mailed you yesterday, did you get it? :)

Ria

• jeep461
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I have been very busy. I also got cut to part time for next year. I am looking at Real Estate offices to hang my hat. Not a big deal for me. I have always been able to make as much money as I wanted.

I have no Avid or Forbid for sale. I only have small quantities left of each. The Avid I use for wood ant control. I will be adding another into the rotation later in the year also. It is a never ending cycle with brugs and year round mites.

Jim

• rialira
    14 years ago

ah, okay. I'm sure the floramite will be way more than enough for me :)

is your email address your paypal address too? when should I send along the $24?

and actually... is there any way you could do 1/32? I doubt I'll even have use for a whole ounce. and honestly I'm a bit ashamed to admit how much 20 bucks is to me right now, heh... figured it was worth asking.

either way is just great :) thanks again for the co-op!

Ria

• studaddy
    14 years ago

Have you gotten my reservation for 2 oz. of miticide and attractant?

• neonposey
    14 years ago

Jeep: Sent you an email. Thanks for doing this!

• jeep461
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Everyone hold on..LOL been busy, checking RE offices.

It was brought to my attention that Floramite does not have Broad mites on the label. So if you are trying to kill them it probably will not work. So I am putting the co op on hold for a few days.

Jim

• rialira
    14 years ago

crap, seriously? I thought floramite was ace for broad mites...

I guess I'm stuck trying to find some forbid on ebay :P

• jeep461
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The only miticide that seems as if it is made for broad mites is Akari. I know Forbid is fair on them in the South. It is a lot cheaper also.

Either way I will not be able to use 32 oz. It would just sit on my shelf for 3 years or the mites would become immune to it. Better to share and keep 3 in a rotation.

See

http://www.sepro.com/default.php?page=akari

Product label.

What do you think ? I am off for a few more day so maybe we can get this back on track.

Here is a link that might be useful: Akari

• studaddy
    14 years ago

Keep me updated. I am looking for a miticide to kill spider mites. If you still decide on something, please let me know.

• dimples31312
    14 years ago

you have mail
    Dorothy

• jdkind
    14 years ago

I am also interested. I sent you an email . Please let me know if you received it . Thanks
    Joseph

• mulegemama
    14 years ago

Hi everyone - I'm a "newbie" to this forum and am looking for input of the various commercial miticides. I tend a large private garden with many roses and the two-spotted mite is my bane! Has anyone had experience with "Ultiflora"? It's much less expensive than Floramite, but I wasn't able to find out how much is used per gallon either. I would be interested in doing a "co-op" on whatever product I do decide on if anyone is interested. Thanks - Martha