Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvbrugs

what to do for blooming

luvbrugs
13 years ago

how do i get my brugs to bloom?

I have two beautiful plants, but they wont bloom, the foliage is fantastic, and i also have some babies sent by sweet Brenda last year, they are doing fine, but not blooming, any ideas, please?

Comments (11)

• figara
    13 years ago

I am not an expert, I am still learning but I would say... try a bloom buster.

Pat

• haase
    13 years ago

They have to form a so-called "Y" first. Blooms only form after the Y. This is when the tip of a branch suddenly forms into two or three more branches.
    Ingrid

• karyn1
    13 years ago

What zone are you in? Seedlings don't normally bloom until the 2nd season for me. As for your mature plants brugs are heavy feeders. If they aren't getting enough food or sun they probably won't bloom. What conditions are they growing in and how often are you fertilizing them?

• drvongirl
    13 years ago

hi Karyn, when you say heavy feeders what exactly do you mean? Are you saying everytime you water to feed them? I have some superbloom, middle number is 55. Is that alright or should I use something lower? Mine are outside now and here in WA we get a few days sun, then rain. They are on the deck, get sun when we have it but protected by the rain so I water them. Soil is moist since we haven't been getting enough sun to dry the soil which prevents me from fertilizing as often as I can.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I try to feed mature plants 1x/wk. A bloom booster works well. Yes it has a NPK ratio something like 3:8:3 or 20:50:20, the phosphorus is double the nitrogen and potassium content or you can use a balanced fertilizer. You can also use a very diluted feeding with each watering. Play around and see whatever works for you.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

You can give them something like Osmocote or another slow release fertilizer if your soil isn't drying fast enough for a water soluable fertilizer application. Even when I use a slow release granular I still feed with a water soluable one too.

• zannywill
    13 years ago

A couple of weeks ago I was looking for info. on Brugs because mine always have the leaves turn yellow and fall off and then the flower buds drop. I remembered something an aunt had said many years ago that when your African violets wouldn't bloom give them some epsom salts. So i did a search on epsom salts and ended up on a thread about epsom salts and brugs.! And the epsom salts have worked like magic they greened right up. Plus it is a lot less expensive than fertilizers - This works for plants that suffer from chlorisis like gardenias and meyer lemons.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Epsom Sats work wonders for greening up plants. It's the magnesium that they need but ES won't replace fertilizer. It's used in addition to it because all it contains is the magnesium. Another mineral that's needed is calcium. There's a great product that I use called Cal Mag Plus instead of ES. I don't buy it from this supplier. I just pulled it up for the product info.

Here is a link that might be useful: CalMag Plus

• drvongirl
    13 years ago

Thanks for the link about the CalMag Plus. I have heard about it before but could not find it at any of the stores or garden centers. I ordered some today!

• gottahosta
    13 years ago

I also throw some ironite granules into my pots, since there are also trace minerals in the granules. Have not had any yellow leaves since I started that last year. I buy the big 20-25 pound bag at Lowe's and still have more than half a bag left.
    I learned 3-4 years ago you could fertilize your brugs three times a week with full strength fertilizer- the soluable kind. Well, if I just had a few plants, I could do that and I did when I just had few back in 2006 but now I'm lucky to get them fertilized once a week! And I do it the lazy way sometimes- right before a rain, I add the dry equalivant of fertilizer that I would usually use in mixing the fertilizer with water and applying it with my teaspoon measure directy to the brug pots (most of my brugs are potted). Just don't get the dry stuff on the foliage or shake it off if you do. That has worked for me.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Brenda you don't get any problem from adding the undiluted fertilizer? I've been so tempted to do that when rain has been predicted. I dread having to fertilize everything. It takes way too long.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting