Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Northern Exp. Ok???

Posted by poohbearlvr S.Fla ,Z10 (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 14 at 20:04

Well I managed to get some brug. cuttings to root!!!! Now it is already 90 in south Fla, and the sun is an oven! Can I plant them with a northern exposure, no direct sun at all till like 4pm on?
Or will that not be enough to get sturdy growth and blooms! For all I spent on these, and the work to get them to root, I don't want thin leggy stems and no blooms, but it is SO hot already,...so...the northern exposure is bright, but no direct sun, till 4pm, but it would protect them from the sun cooking them alive.
So...whats more important, direct sun or protection from heat? Morning direct sun? late day sun? What exposure can I use to get growth and blooms?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Northern Exp. Ok???

• Posted by rednofl 9b Goldenrod Fl hz (My Page) on
    Sun, May 4, 14 at 12:14

It really depends on what you grow ..... I grow some in full sun It usually takes a few years for them to acclimate to the heat , So I start them in the shade at least in the afternoon.
If they do well in the shade they stay there as many brugs dont like the intense florida summer heat.
Then when I can take cuttings I put them in full sun to find the ones who like it, No matter what you will get very few blooms when it gets above 90f on a consistant basis....
If you do put them in full sun make sure they get plenty of water

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here