Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicgirl_gw

Castor bean roots near in-ground pool

tropicgirl
11 years ago

Wow, I haven't been on here for nearly 3 years but I have a question and I know someone here in the Brug forum can help me even though it's not about a brug. I still see some names I recognize.

We have a gunite pool and I want to plant a few castor bean plants to provide a privacy screen. Don't have much room from the fence and the pool and by the time you consider the utility easement I'm left with 5 feet. I would like to plant the castor beans 5 feet from the wall of the pool. The depth the gunite would be approximately 6 ft. down.

In our area of north Texas these plants will be an annual. Knowing that they will be an annual I thought I would be pretty safe growing them however, because of their aggressive growth I thought I would ask someone that may have some experience about how far the roots may go out from the stalk. I don't want the roots to compromise the pool wall. If these plants can get 15 ft tall and 6 ft. wide I figure the drip edge would be around 3 ft from the stalk which would be withing the safe zone. These plants will be growing in clay soil which may or may not hinder the growth rate. Could someone please let me know if these will be safe to grow near the pool. I have 7 seedlings waiting to be put into the ground. TIA

Happy gardening to everyone :)

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?