Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Castor bean roots near in-ground pool

Posted by tropicgirl Fort Worth, TX 7 (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 12 at 20:21

Wow, I haven't been on here for nearly 3 years but I have a question and I know someone here in the Brug forum can help me even though it's not about a brug. I still see some names I recognize.

We have a gunite pool and I want to plant a few castor bean plants to provide a privacy screen. Don't have much room from the fence and the pool and by the time you consider the utility easement I'm left with 5 feet. I would like to plant the castor beans 5 feet from the wall of the pool. The depth the gunite would be approximately 6 ft. down.

In our area of north Texas these plants will be an annual. Knowing that they will be an annual I thought I would be pretty safe growing them however, because of their aggressive growth I thought I would ask someone that may have some experience about how far the roots may go out from the stalk. I don't want the roots to compromise the pool wall. If these plants can get 15 ft tall and 6 ft. wide I figure the drip edge would be around 3 ft from the stalk which would be withing the safe zone. These plants will be growing in clay soil which may or may not hinder the growth rate. Could someone please let me know if these will be safe to grow near the pool. I have 7 seedlings waiting to be put into the ground. TIA

Happy gardening to everyone :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Castor bean roots near in-ground pool

My Castor beans grow to around 12 feet tall and only have a root ball 12-15 inches in diameter and maybe 10 inches deep. I am sure you would have no problems with the pool.
Bill

o
RE: Castor bean roots near in-ground pool

Thank you Bill. I tried to find this info on the internet and I did find lots of info about castor beans but not a thing about how large the roots would get. I appreciate the info and can now plant in confidence.
Deb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here