Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soak Cuttings in Miracle Gro Solution?

Posted by love_the_yard z9A Jax FL (My Page) on
Wed, May 22, 13 at 22:14

I recently purchased a couple of brug cuttings. The seller included a set of care instructions and one of notes was new and intriguing to me. The seller writes, "Plants are soaked in Miracle Gro solution to assist in transplant and reduce the shock in transplanting." Huh. What kind of MG solution would that be? I have to say, the cuttings were extremely healthy and perky upon arrival and although they had no roots when they hit my doorstep, they have rooted at lightening speed. I know that all of the environmental conditions are favorable, but man, I wish all my brugs would root this quickly!

Has anyone ever heard of soaking cuttings in a Miracle Gro solution? If so, which Miracle Gro product is used and what is the recipe/mix rate?

Thanks!
Carol in Jacksonville

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soak Cuttings in Miracle Gro Solution?

I've never done that. They're very easy to root in a pot of soil with nothing to help stimulate roots or growth.

o

Agreed! I have rooted plenty of brug cuttings and they are easy. I was just curious about this "Miracle Gro solution" and if anyone else had ever heard of it.

Carol

o

I had not heard of that but it sounds like a winning strategy!

o

I haven't heard of it either. To be honest, i would be afraid to try it. I suppose maybe if a take a no-id cutting, i could give it a whirl.

o

For anyone interested, Carol (love_the_yard) also posted this topic in the Florida Gardening subforum, which spurred a discussion and has led to one of the posters, TheTradition, starting some trials, comparing and contrasting the effectiveness of different rooting methods, using Justicia as the sample plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Blue Water Root Cuttings Trials

o

If brugs are in the tomatoe family, wouldn't it be safe to say Miracle Grow for tomatoes . I'm gonig to try it, let you know. Carol

o

Well , I tried soaking cuttings in Miracle Grow like I said I would. Using the MG for tomatoes ( 1/2 teaspoon in a quart of water) looks like watered down pink lemonade. I took the cutting yesterday from 3 different brugs and the very next day there were little nubs trying to poke through. To me that's quick . Can't wait to see what a week brings. Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here