Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

Ot Monday was my first day being retired

honeybunny2 Fox
13 years ago

I finally retired after almost 44 years working for the same company. My last day at work, I was told we were having a stand up meeting, everyone was standing holding a plant. I was speachless, and started to cry. It took me all week to plant all those plants. I started working there 1 month after I graduated from high school in 1966. So far I have not missed it, but I have stayed busy. I will finally have time to figure out how to use my camera, so I can post picutres. It will be awhile since most of my plants are just coming back from their roots. Thank goodness, I got the brugmansia cuttings from Eddie. Thank you Eddie! I only have one daylily that is blooming right now. The hibiscus should start blooming next weekend, they are full of buds. I will take my camera next weekend. We finally cut down the last of the frozen cuban royal plam trees. The dump said it weighted 550 lbs, it was the shortest of the 3 we lost. I wish we could plant new trees, but we have to figure out how to get rid of the roots. Does anyone have any idea, other than hiring someone. I am thinking of putting oil on the root and letting it just soak in, and then after about 6 months just lighting a match. I think it would burn out the root, do you think that would work? Barbra,

Comments (25)

• knotz
    13 years ago

Congrats on your retirement Barbra...Enjoy every moment of "doing what you want".

knotz

• gardenpaw
    13 years ago

Congratulations Barbra!!

Karen

• drvongirl
    13 years ago

Congradulations Barbara, I wish it was me. How nice of your co-workers to give you plants!! Enjoy, Ellen.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Congratulations. What a nice thing for your coworkers to do. I'm sure you'll find plenty to keep you busy. I will have a semi sort of retirement come Sept. My little one will be in school a full day!!!!! I'll have 6 wonderful hours a day to do whatever I want. lol I'll probably just go back to volunteer work.

I don't think that pouring oil into the stump is a great idea. It could very well contaminate the soil and ground water. What about renting a stump grinder? I know the hardware stores around here rent all kinds of equipment.

Enjoy your retirement : )

• threas
    13 years ago

Congratulations, Barbra! How nice of your co-workers to give you the gift of plants! Enjoy your retirement!

Theresa

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Yeah Barbra, you are joining us retirees, LOL! You certainly put in a lot of years of work and deserve to just do nothing, if that is what you feel like doing. In time, you will find that sometimes one is busier being retired then when one worked. What a great present -- plants!

ON YOUR RETIREMENT!!!!!!

• byrd4460
    13 years ago

Congratulations Barb, Hoping you will enjoy
    the fruits of our Labor. Looking forward to
    sharing more plants and pictures with you to
    make sure you have enough that you may enjoy
    the beauty our creator has given us to enjoy
    in this Garden here on Earth. Be Bless
    Chocolate Brug

• plantlover49
    13 years ago

Barbara
    Congratulations, you'll love being able to play with your
    Plants, taht was so nice of the other workers too get you what you love Plants, have a great day

Elizabeth

• figara
    13 years ago

Congrats Barbara ! Now you have more time to get dirt under your nails. Enjoy!

Pat

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

Congrats Barb. You won't miss work with all the things you have to keep you busy. I know I wouldn't, lol. Just go back and have lunch with your friends occasionally. I have family coming this weekend so have to get busy on house work but I'll check in more often.

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Congratulations Barb. Your coworkers sure know you well and they wanted to make sure you stayed busy the first few weeks.

Now maybe you'll have more time to get to a swap or two so I can finally meet you.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone, I plan to be at all the plant swaps from now on. I always had to pick vacation in October for the coming year. Seems like the swap always fell on the Saturday that I was on vacation. I still will not be able to go if the swap is during Spring Break, like this year. I have such a long bucket list. I will even try to go to the swaps in other parts of Texas, so I can meet some of you. Barbra

• chena
    13 years ago

CONGRATS Girl!!! YAY you made it...I hope you had a lot of co workers LOLOLOL.. That was very sweet of them..

There is some stuff called Remedy. We buy it at the feed store.It is about $100 a gallon but you mix it with diesel it kills Mesquites roots and all you just spray it on with a sprayer..

Kylie

• princealbert
    13 years ago

Honeybunny,
    Welcome to the retired world. I have been there for 2 years now. I don't have any urges to get back into the RAT RACE. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
    pa

• russ2009
    13 years ago

Congrats and welcome to the AARP world...lol
    I love being retired and able to do what I want and go where I want to. Stay healthy and happy and you have such a great garden world to enjoy. I see you like daylilies. Did you attend the open garden show and sale at PAYNES IN THE GRASS DAYLILY FARM in Pearland back on May 16th? I have gone now for the past couple of years and buy something new and gorgeous.
    Have a blessed retirement and happy gardening.
    Russ

• jeep461
    13 years ago

Whoooho, congratulations.

Everything here was knocked to the ground this winter. Plumeria, all died everything else came back. I am growing Fragrant Oleanders and salt and mite resistant brugs. I am off for the summer so let me know if there is anything you need.

Jim

• marcie_new
    13 years ago

Well CONGRATULATIONS!! How is your first week? Enjoy your retirement, I would retire if I could(whishful thinking)So now that you are no longer working what kind of mischief you have planned? I know Gardening will keep you occupied, enjoy and garden away Marcie

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, Jim, its finally time to go to your place. I want to see what you have done. I have nothing but time now. I will be in Rockport in two weeks and will stay a week or two, so please email me, and I will drive down to meet you. I can't wait to see your oleanders, I know you have been working on making the perfect oleander for down there. Have you created it yet? Did you loose any palm trees? We lost all our Cuban Royals, Alexander and Bottle palm trees.
    Russ, I lost all my daylies to rust about 3 years ago, it made me sick. I had to wait 3 years, replaced all the soil to make sure that there were no signs. I am starting again in October, I have a hugh order coming in from Maryott's Gardens. What do you use to control the rust. Everything that I have been told to get by Maryott's I am not able to find in Texas. I brought the rust to my garden, but ordering from a nursery that was not rust free. I think I will be ok, I will just order from Maryott's, I never had a problem when I ordered just from them. Barbra

• russ2009
    13 years ago

Barbra:
    I have been so lucky with my daylilies. No rust and all now blooming so nice. I really dont do much for it.I have not seen it even but was told about it when I was at the lily farm in Pearland. I was told not to buy from ebay sellers from Florida as they really have a rust problem. I have only been growing daylilies for the past 3 years. The one thing I like is they don't die from 24 degree temps.......like we had this past winter. I crossed some lilies last spring and now the new seedlings are growing good....cant wait to see the crosses.
    I lost so much last winter - even while they were covered with sheets. I had plumerias 8 feet tall that froze and nothing came back. I am not going to replace things that freeze that easy. I can only move so much back and forth to the garage - as the planters get too dang heavy.
    Good luck with your new order of lilies and hope they do well for you.
    Russ

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Barbra, bored yet, LOL!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Eloise, just got back into town an hour ago. We are going to West Palm Beach this Tuesday. My husband is a teacher so he has alot of time off in the summer. We always seem to be going some place or another. So I am not bored yet. I plan on buying alot of plants in Florida, then take 2 or 3 weeks and stay at the coast, so I can plant them.
    My husband told me that we are going to San Diego Calif, next April. How far do you live from there???? I hope its close to Kartuz greenhouse. Barbra

• beachplant
    13 years ago

Congrats! Suck it up and rent a stump grinder, it's the best solution & will work the fastest. They'll come and in about an hour you have a nice clean hole and some great mulch. No chemicals, no oil, no waiting, no issues with contaminating ground water. They are grinding stumps all over the island.
    Mercer fall trade, I think Jennifer has a date scheduled already.
    Tally HO!

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

Glad you are enjoying retirement Barbra. I am enjoying my daylillies from my aunt and Michelle. The older ones from Michelle are doing very well and the new ones are all petite forms it looks like but very pretty. Jim I haven't forgotten about your oleander. The one I tried to root last year didn't take and it froze to the ground but is coming back. I will try again. Have you found any good methods for rooting them?

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Barbra, then you will certainly enjoy your retirement as you are pretty free to do 'whatever'! I am about 150 miles north of San Diego; Kartuz is about 42 miles north of San Diego. It would be a great spot to meet at if all goes well next year! Keep me posted.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey, I will definitely go to to Kartuz Greenhouse. 42 miles in Texas is just down the road. I sure hope this class makes it and we can go. He goes to school during the day, I drop him off, and take the rental car and hit the nurseries. I just need to pick him up by 3pm. I got on the Florida turnpike by mistake, it was 3 1/2 miles to the nursery, and over 40 miles back. Barbra