Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poconomare

Searching for Brugmansias

poconomare
12 years ago

Hello, I am very new at growing Brugmansias. I purchased one last year and fell in love with its magic and beauty!! I tried to winter it over in a rather cold garage but sadly it did not survive our brutal winters. I have tried every garden center locally and have failed miserably. Can anyone suggest a quality nursery where I can buy a brug. that will flower this year? I have found some sites on the web but I am fearful to relinquish my credit card number online and I am not sure of the size or quality.

Comments (11)

• tommysmommy
    12 years ago

You can't go wrong with Country Garden nursery. I've ordered a few from them, they are always delivered well, pot right up and grow. Of course they will be small and you'll have to wait. I overwinter mine in the basement, my garage gets too cold and they would freeze. Maybe you can call them and give them a credit card # over the phone?

• poconomare
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for your prompt response. I have spent alot of time trying to find brugmansias locally. My husband and I were in amazement of the beauty and size of this quick growing plant. We potted it in a large pot and each day the flowers kept coming. In the cold mountains, we felt that we were in the tropics on our deck. It really flourished!! I will check out this nursery, thank you.

• karyn1
    12 years ago

You will likely not find brugs in a local nursery in PA. I'm in MD and have been growing them for about 15 years. In all that time the only ones I've seen in a nursery are the ones I supplied. lol

Tommysmommy gave you an excellent recommendation. CG is the best. There's also some reliable Ebay sellers. I wouldn't be concerned about ordering online as long as it's a secure site. If a thief wants your CC number they'll find it whether you've ever purchased online or not. It's probably easier to lift your CC info from a brick and mortar business then online anyway.

• rudy625
    12 years ago

Poconomare,where in Pa. are you located ?

• poconomare
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We live in the north pocono area, south of Scranton. Last year our local hardware Ace store sold the brugmansia that I purchased. I tried there again but they didn't order them again. What a shame!!

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I'm shocked that you found one locally, especially in a hardware store. Except for the speciality nurseries and botanical gardens most don't even know what a brug is around here.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    12 years ago

Some of our local Ace hardware's have excellent nurseries..no telling what you might find in there. I got variegated monstera, coral medinilla, and a bunch of different alocasia, and colocasias. From what I've heard one in GA sells the same kinds of things so maybe some of the others are too. I also saw some double brugs last time I was there. One of them even has a huge koi pond lol.

• rudy625
    12 years ago

Poconomare,welcome,glad to see another NEPA brug lover. I'm in Wilkes Barre,and there are 2 garden centers that had brugs the last time I was there about 2 weeka ago.Not a big selection,but they had 4 or 5 brugs.One is Perennial Point in Plains Twp,and Dundee Gardens in Nanticoke. I occasionaly have some rooted cuttings from branches that my dogs break off while playing in the yard.

• pearlgirl
    12 years ago

Poconomare...I can send you some nice cuttings if you're
    willing to pay postage. I have pale yellow, orange and a
    pink that I can prune back at this time. They're a bit
    larger than I want them to be. Send me an email if you're
    intetrested.
    Margaret

• marcie_new
    12 years ago

O.K.fellow members, I am headed to Pensacola Florida next week, anyplaces I can stopalong the way and find some brugs? anysugestions? Thanks M.N

• poconomare
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so very much, one and all for your suggestions and expert advice!!! We had our credit card stolen twice and that is why we are so nervous about putting it out on the web. Karyn1, I do agree with you, but my husband just can't start trusting again. One time it was at a gas station in another state. I am overwhelmed with your kindness and help!! Thanks!!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus