Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

OT Can somone give me advise on planting banana trees

honeybunny2 Fox
13 years ago

I need to plant the siam ruby banana trees this Friday, they are about 4 ft tall. I will plant them in zone 9 coastal, in sand. Should they get direct full sun, morning sun, afternoon sun, or shade. I would hate to loose these tender banana trees. I called Ty Ty nursery, since Texas did not have a source, and they hung up on me when I asked, saying they cannot give information unless I bought the plant from them. The tag said full to partial sun, fast growing, normal water, do not over water. What do you think would be the best place to plant in our Texas heat. Barb

Comments (9)

• chena
    13 years ago

Hey!!
    Just plant the crom (banana) a bit deeper than you would think .. That will help it deal with the weather .. I would go with Morning Sun and Afternoon Shade .. They are water hogs and do love to be fed... They are going to love it there..Sandy soil conditions my mean you will need to provide a good bit of or organic matter.. and they do love banana peels tucked in the soil around them.. Can't wait to see pic's..

Kylie
    !

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

I will tell you one thing about the siam rubys: They are tender and may die in a zone 9. Mine have (a bunch of times lol) and they didn't come back. I even had some in the greenhouse die this past winter when we got way down in the low teens. They rot easily. I would definitely dig them up and store them somewhere totally frost free in the winter. They are really gorgeous and worth the pampering though :) Like kylie said, put them in rich organic soil and make sure it is very well drained and they should do well.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the information. I thought all day, since I need to plant them tomorrow and decided that I will plant them in 4 diffrent locations, 2 in morning sun, 1 in afternoon sun, and 1 in full sun. I will add cow manure and potting soil to the sand. Then watch them like a mother hen. These are just beautiful plants, one has pups already. They are between 4 and 5 ft tall. I was so lucky to find these plants. You will not believe the story when I tell you. I found them on the mark down isle at Lowes. They were in 3 gallon pots and should have been in 10 or 15 gallon pots, they were just too heavy and were laying on their sides. The pots were mismarked bright yellow banana, and just as red as can be, with lime green specks. I still cannot believe it. Barbra

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

These are what they have at the Lowes here. You were lucky to find those. Mine is Zebrina Clickable pic

{{gwi:499188}}

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    13 years ago

Siam Rubies can take full sun up here if given adequate moisture, but in zone 9, def. give them shade for the hottest part of the day, lots of moisture, rich soil amendments, and mulch, mulch, mulch. They are very attractive plants.

{{gwi:499189}}

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just got back, I planted them all in diffrent locations. Dave, mine look just like the one in your picture, except on one plant 1/2 the leaf is lime green and the other half is red. The leaves look like fat paddles. I had to cut many of the leaves, I broke them hauling them down. I will be going back on Thursday, and will decide if I have to move any of them. I had to plant them deep, so they would not fall over. Kyle, I put a banana peal in each hole before I planted them. I also put mulch on 3 of them, but ran out before I got to the 4th one. I will finish next weekend. Nothing was in bloom except the Moy Grande, and Lord Baltimoire Hibiscus. Barbra

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Barbra, what a great deal you got! Don't you just love it when you find these goodies and the store staff doesn't even know what they are so you get it cheap, lol!

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

It's great when you know what you're looking at and can get a great deal. Lowe's clearance rack is the best deal around. I just got a couple of those everblooming hydrangeas for $2 marked down from $20 because the blooms were done.

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

Lol, everblooming done blooming. I have some miniature ones in a pot and they really do bloom all year except in the dead of winter.