Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chena_gw

Any early Garden shots?

chena
12 years ago

Hey!!

Does anyone have any early garden shots or new and improved beds?? Not a lot blooming here but I will post some pic's later Back out to weed eat and mow.. I would LOVE to see what is going on at your house!

Kylie

Comments (51)

• vissara
    12 years ago

we've had an unusally cool spring here thus far so less is up that usual, but here are some photos of what I have got as well as the start of the new tropical bed where the Brugs (first time growing them this year!) are living

Here is a link that might be useful: Flickr stream

• karyn1
    12 years ago

My gardens are too messy to post right now. lol I've posted a bunch of pics of stuff blooming outside and in the greenhouse. Passifloras are doing unusually well this season with lots of varieties already blooming and I noticed some of my brugs are budding up so I should have my first flowers in a couple weeks.

We had an unseasonably cold early and mid spring but have been in the mid to upper 90's the past week or so. We go from cold to hot, it sucks!

• chena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Vissara your pic's are great!!I love the bamboo back drop for the new garden and of course the fur babies!!!

Kylie

• vissara
    12 years ago

Thank you,

The furbabies are the real reason the bamboo is there, the fence behind it is high enough at the bottom for the little ones to walk right under.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Kylie, Roselee went with me to Rockport last weekend, and took pictures of my yard, Linda Collins yard, and Billie's yard, and posted them on the Gardening in Texas forum under the gallery. She will also post pictures of the Corpus Christi Botantical Gardens. Now she is busy with her new washing machine basket planters, she got yesterday.. I wish you could have seen the hugh plumeria, they must have one of everything. It was just beautiful, and the smell was magical. Thanks to Carol at Florida Colors, I have most of the beautiful ones in my yard, that will be blooming shortly. I just have Siam Red and Gladys O'Neal blooming right now, Roselee posted the pictures of them on the forum. Barbra

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Here's a link to the post on Barbra's garden with pics. It's on the Texas forum gallery. There are other Rockport gardens there too. Don't miss Billie's garden, it's a real treat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Barb's garden post

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Here's the latest from my yard:

{{gwi:501549}}

This is all new this spring. We added good soil and compost as well as the much needed gravel path. It needs some time to get more blooms, but it's great to do something with this very neglected spot. The large green bush draping over the edge is a potato bush from princealbert. Lots of swap plants here, thanks to my GW friends. In bloom now are larkspur, yarrow, fruit cocktail shrimp plant, and Walker's low nepeta, Ruellia.

This is the before back in Feb when we ran electrical for the new garage. It had a few cannas before, but was really unused otherwise. The rocks used in the edging were all dug out of the yard when planting other areas. We also had the industrial sized gas meter replaced with a smaller version which really helped the visuals a lot!

{{gwi:501550}}

• chena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank You so much for posting Barbara's pic's They are Beautiful!!!

Barbara You have done an Awesome job!! Your home is so beautiful..

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

I wish I had brugmansia plants blooming! The only one you can see is just outside the back door. You can see New Orleans Lady on the picture just outside the kitchen door. It is the one on the bottom without a top. The plant was smashed by UPS. Do you think I should cut it back to where the green leaves are, or just leave it alone? I thought it would be the perfect spot, so I can smell it everytime I go outside. The cuttings I got from Shirley at the plant swap, have rooted, and are doing fine. Kylie, I lost the cuttings you sent to me. I just could not seem to revive them. I think sitting on the front porch for 3 days was too much. When you cut back this fall, please keep me in mind. Barbra

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I have a couple more passifloras that have begun blooming.
    Miersii
    {{gwi:501551}}
    {{gwi:501553}}
    loefgrenii
    {{gwi:501555}}
    perennial sweet peas
    {{gwi:501557}}
    {{gwi:501559}}
    nightshades
    {{gwi:501561}}
    {{gwi:501562}}
    reedstem orchid
    {{gwi:501564}}
    Chester & Bailey like each other
    {{gwi:501567}}
    cactus
    {{gwi:501570}}
    adenium (this has been in bloom for a year!)
    {{gwi:501572}}
    euphorbia
    {{gwi:501574}}
    Gardens are still too weedy/messy to let anyone see : )

• chena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rock Oak.. What a change.. You worked your tail off for that!! It looks amazing!!! That is going to fill in beautifully!!!!

Karyn the Passi's are looking Beautiful..I can't believe that Adenium has been in bloom for so long.. that is very cool!!! I had to laugh when I saw the Night Shade.. I have a pasture full of it.. ;0)

Kylie

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Barbra, so glad to hear the cuttings all rooted! It was a little early in the year so I wondered if they all made it.

Siam's hybrid canna you traded me looks like it's about to bloom. That bloom looks so amazing I'm really looking forward to it.

Shirley

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

I don't have anything exciting going on, but here's a few pictures. Have some noid brugs and roses blooming, but you've seen those before. The iris and avocado photos are from April, the rest in May-June. Don't know what happened to my bearded irises this year -- maybe we got too much rain and I didn't have as many blooming as last year.

{{gwi:501576}}
    {{gwi:501578}}
    {{gwi:501580}}
    {{gwi:501582}}
    {{gwi:501584}}

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

I hate when systems change. I used to be able to post pix directly w/o them being linked back to my album. Also, they were smaller in size, oh well.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Shirley, I only had two seeds that survived out of 10 I won. One is on the pink side and the other is on the orange side. I love them both. I can't remember which one I gave you, but they are both beautiful. Here are a few more pictures that were taken in May from my gardens at the coast.
    {{gwi:501586}}

{{gwi:501588}}

{{gwi:501590}}

{{gwi:501592}}

{{gwi:501594}}

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Beautiful pics, Eloise and Barbra.

Barbra, we'll see soon which one I have. It's also putting up lots of sprouts so I'll eventually have some to share too.

• chena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

GOSH!! Eloise.. What I wouldn't give for those Avocados.. I Love Avocados .. Your flowers look so happy!!! What is the last pic?

Barbara Your Lilies are Beautiful!!

Went out this morning and found a Huernia macrocarpa covered in blooms.. The blooms are tiny but the color is Beautiful and a couple of my old Buddies hangin out.. ;0)

Kylie

{{gwi:501597}}

{{gwi:501599}}

{{gwi:501602}}

• chena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Brought in the "Clean up crew" this is next to the Garden I am trying to recover..

Kylie

{{gwi:501605}}

{{gwi:501607}}

{{gwi:501609}}

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Kylie, I love the pictures of your cattle. We got rid of ours in 1999, I love when you post pictures of them. Barbra

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    12 years ago

Love everyone's photos! I need to take some. I only have a few brugs blooming right now. Sam and Lemon Meringue. My double rangoon creeper is full of flowers but it still isn't real big. I think it wants a bigger pot.

I love those avocados!

Kylie such cool cows. Hey they can cleanup and fertilize all in one shot. Good thing there is a big fence there!

• tommysmommy
    12 years ago

Okay, here are my early garden shots. Remember lots of growth has yet to occur, also a few hail storms are expected )-:
    {{gwi:501612}}
    The Cherub that performed so admirably last fall is starting to bud already. This is the only one in a pot yet.
    {{gwi:501620}}

{{gwi:501629}}
    {{gwi:501637}}
    Woke up to this on Saturday morning

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Wow, there is a lot going on in our gardens! Very pretty tommysmommy. It's fun to see how different the seasons are. Iris and columbine bloomed about eight weeks ago here.

Interesting to get a raccoon pic in the daytime, must be really bold. We hear the noise they make, but rarely see them.

• tommysmommy
    12 years ago

We were surprised too, this was about 7 a.m. when mr. raccoon showed up in the yard.

• chena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lots of Beautiful blooms going on there Diane!!! Those Brugs look like they are in the perfect spot they will be Beautiful in bloom!!!

• chena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Since we have the Cows in the short pen we have to water them ..This is Peyote drinking from the hose.. They can drink 5gal. of water each a day.. Can't wait to see the water bill..YIKES!!!

{{gwi:501639}}

• chena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I started a bunch of JMG this yr.. The first one to bloom is not tagged ( of course).. I was told it is probably a Kikyo X this is the first bloom.. I just wonder if it's next bloom will be the same.. I did harvest a few seed from it today .. Guessing it bloomed while I was out of town..

Kylie

{{gwi:501642}}

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Very pretty, love that intense blue.

• tommysmommy
    12 years ago

Kylie, love the cow drinking from the hose! I had a cat once that did that, so darn cute!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Kylie, I love the morning glory, Kathy gave me one at the plant swap, it grew around the house smothering everything in its path. It was so beautiful, I hated to remove it. It was just too invasive. I do not know which one would be noninvasive. I have the same problem with the purple passionvine. Last year I had a hugh oak tree covered with beautiful passionvine flowers. It was either the oak tree or the passionvine. I gave Roselee a 3 ft root from the purple passionvine, she was thrilled. I hope she can keep it under control. Its beautiful, but it is too invasive at the coast. I do not have that problem with the red passionvines, just the purple. Barbra

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    12 years ago

Yikes 5 gallons of water each? I have 40 hens that drink @ 4 gallons a day all together lol, maybe a little more if its really hot. Dh is devising an automatic water for them so we don't have to go out there as much in the heat.

Enjoying everybody's pics :)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

I am going down next weekend, and plan to take lot of pictures. I hope I am not disapointed, and the plants are blooming. I never know for sure. I bought 4 yellow trumpet vines today at Lowes, I want to plant them on the fence line. I had never seen them before, does anyone know anything about them? Can I plant in full sun at the coast? Barbra

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

Been out of state for a week; got back late yesterday. What great photos; love everyone's plants and those cows! Kylie, the purple plant is Verbena bonariensis. Here's a few more photos I took before I left, except for the one of the purple cactus.
    {{gwi:501645}} Not sure if this is a. trilobata that I got from Randy.
    {{gwi:501649}} Ice Cream banana has taken off nicely.
    {{gwi:501650}}{{gwi:501652}} Easter lily blooms in spite of neglect!{{gwi:501654}}{{gwi:501656}} Found purple cactus on empty lot while on my trip :-)

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

More pretty pictures!

Eloise, that cactus looks like Santa Rita and the color is intensified by cooler weather. It will be greener in the summer and a beautiful purple in the winter. I have it out by the street and the neighbors really enjoy it.

We're having a hot, dry summer with few blooms. The cannas are an exception though. The hybrid canna Barbra grew from seeds Siamcannas sent her is starting to bloom so I will have a picture soon. It's a pretty pink with coral accents.

• tommysmommy
    12 years ago

Eloise, did you mean me? I had the question about the purple flowering plant.
    Diane

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

{{gwi:501658}}

{{gwi:501660}}

This beautiful bloom is on a canna grown from seed by Barbra/honeybunny2. The seeds were sent to her from Trinidad by siamcannas.

Barbra lost her brugs over the winter and we did a "trade" of brug cuttings for cannas and this was one she gave me. Barbra is at the coast for the weekend so she won't see these for a few days. Thank you Barbra, I love this canna! Siam I hope you see this too and see how your beautiful hybrid canna is beginning to travel from garden to garden.

• chena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That is Absolutely Beautiful.. Congrats Siam on a great cross and to you as well for doing such a great job of growing it out!!!

This is about all I have today..LOL
    {{gwi:453736}}

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Here's a few.
    Saddleback cat
    {{gwi:486437}}
    Ice Ballet
    {{gwi:272534}}
    P. manta
    {{gwi:501664}}
    salvia buchananii
    {{gwi:501666}}
    P. biflora
    {{gwi:501669}}
    {{gwi:501671}}
    {{gwi:501674}}
    {{gwi:501677}}
    {{gwi:501681}}
    {{gwi:501684}}
    {{gwi:501686}}
    {{gwi:501688}}
    {{gwi:501690}}
    {{gwi:246383}}
    {{gwi:501691}}

Chester hiding under stuffed animals

• tommysmommy
    12 years ago

Kylie is that a dead rattler or something else?

• chena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

DEAD!! is right..LOL It is a Copperhead..
    . Great Pic's Karyn!! I love the Passi's.. I have some seed started... Still waiting LOL!!

• tommysmommy
    12 years ago

I was looking at my plants today and lo and behold the purple flowering plant declared itself. It's a money plant! The circular pods are forming now. I had no idea that I'd bought one, wonder if I didn't and it's a volunteer? Should I snip off the seed pods? I read it can be pesty in reseeding itself.

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

Barbra, I love the last pix of your hibiscus -- so pretty!

Sorry Diane, I didn't see your post asking what was the purple flower. Kylie asked what was the last picture so that's why I directed the answer to her.

Shirley, thanks for the name of the cactus. I did check it out and once it blooms, I will be able to confirm that it is Santa Rita and not some other. Love your canna from Siam via Barbra!

Whoa Kylie, that is some snake! From what I recall in AZ, copperheads are poisonous, right? Do you ever get those snakes that "milk" cows -- read this somewhere?

Karyn, love your blooming plants! That one in your 2nd set of pix that looks like snap dragons, made me laugh because I could see them being used in a cartoon talking! O.k. so I'm nuts, lol!

• chena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's Funny Eloise.. I had to go back and look at the pic again!! Your right tho!!! LOL

If a snake wanted to milk a cow around here they would have to kick a calf off first..LOL I have never heard of that before!!! hmmm interesting!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Shirley, looks like you got the pink one, I love the cream freckles. Roselee took a picture of the orange one, in the pictures she posted. I wish they would have darker leaves, but I love the blooms. Thank you Siam for the seeds, I wish I could have gotten all 10 to bloom. Darn greenhouse, it seems to cook everything that I put inside. I have not seen Siam post in quite some time. Barbra

• chena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A couple of MG shots

{{gwi:501696}}

{{gwi:501697}}

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

We just got back from the coast, and everything looks good, I forgot the camera so no pictures. We are going down next week for the entire week, I have already packed my camera. I haven't seen Prince Albert yet, he is still in the proces of moving down. My brugmansia plants are about 10 inches tall. I traded plants with a man in Galveston, and received a noid orange brug, and plumeria seedlings, I can't wait to see what they will look like. I think I have 2 or 3 months before I see any brugmansia blooms. Barbra

• tommysmommy
    12 years ago

More pretties:
    {{gwi:501698}}
    Perfect Peony
    {{gwi:501699}}
    {{gwi:501700}}
    {{gwi:501701}}
    Primroses
    {{gwi:501702}}
    Coral Icelandic Poppy
    {{gwi:501704}}
    Yellow Icelandic Poppy
    {{gwi:501707}}
    Pink Nasturtium
    {{gwi:501709}}
    {{gwi:501711}}
    Red Passion flower

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

Kylie, great shot of the blue MG! BTW, I searched "snakes milking cows" and it said it was an old folks tale, LOL!

Diane, just love that yellow poppy, pink nasturtium, and the red passion flower!

• chena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

WOW!!! Look at all of the great shots... Love the Passi!!!

Thanks Eloise!! LOL I googled it too!!!

• chena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Found this guy in bloom this morning.. Xiong's Chinese MG!
    Kylie

{{gwi:501712}}

• kasha77
    12 years ago

Wonderful pics everyone! So nice to see the spring bloomers again! The heat is on and everything is getting baked here, except my brugs. They are starting to put on blooms. I especially love the Peony pic, I can just smell it's heavenly perfume!
    kasha77

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz