Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peanut01_gw

Brug in bloom :)

peanut01
13 years ago

Here is a shot of my front porch garden in Central VA.

{{gwi:84551}}

The second shot is aout of focus, but you get the idea :)

{{gwi:501885}}

Here's a "Hemmingway House" dat about to open

{{gwi:501886}}

OT - 18" pot that I transplanted a Hoya into

{{gwi:501887}}

Thanks for looking - I will share the dat pic when it fully opens.

Also on my Brug I do not see any buds to replace this mini flush. Shouldn't new buds be forming to replace these when they are spent?

-David

Comments (17)

• marcie_new
    13 years ago

Very nice! will look for the datura picture! later

• karyn1
    13 years ago

That hoya is huge! It must be something when in bloom. More buds will form on the new Y's. Is the red flower an oleander? Do you keep that in a container?

• peanut01
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for looking :)

The red flower is an oleander. I purchased it from Wal Mart as the standard Cold Hardy variety, not really expecting it to come back since I have made the same purchase in past years. I do have it planted in the ground and it did come back. It lost almost all of it's leaves last winter and what wasn't lost was burnt half way down. But I am really happy that it came back. I think I have found a decent microclimate in my front yard.

The dat is still slowly opening. I captured a pic last night and will get another today. I am not too familiar with dats since this is my first year growing them but I would suspect it should be open by Saturday :)

The hoya is not quite full in bloom but there is at least 10-20 flowers and peduncles galore on that one. My front garden area is intoxicating at night and my wife always wonders why I stay outside so late :)

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

Wow, you have the coolest variety of plants there, all grouped together! No wonder you stay outside, I would too. Is your front area facing south? Mine is, and I have a warmer little micro climate outside my front door than anywhere else. Good luck with your brug, dat, and everything else, looks like they're very happy.

• peanut01
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Tommy's mom.

Here is a little progression from the dat.

{{gwi:501888}}

{{gwi:501890}}

And a pic of a garden visitor.

{{gwi:501891}}

My daughter wanted me to catch the bunny and I told her that I caught it in the photograph. She did not go for that though.

-David

• gardenpaw
    13 years ago

Your garden is beautiful!
    I dont blame you for staying outside late at night either!

Karen

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I love the bunny pic. You don't want to catch it. They are really cute until you pick one up and see that they are crawling with vermin. Yuck! Baby squirrels too. I've had to rescure my share of baby animals and always freak that the fleas are going to get in the car when I take them to the wildlife rehab center.

• keriann_lakegeneva
    13 years ago

Thats cute... the phrase about catching the bunny in a photo.. very clever.

My dats only open about 20% more than your picture, they dont blow open like a Brug, but I still love them!

Keriann~

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

Beautiful plants you have there and a very cute bunny too.

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

Took me a minute to locate the bunny, hiding in the shadows like that. Cute!

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Great shots of your datura, David, congrats!

• roper2008
    13 years ago

Very nice David. I have a Black Currant Swirl
    Datura with blooms, but it doesn't really stand
    out to me. The foliage covers a lot of the blooms.
    So far not impressed. Maybe I'll try a differnt
    variety next year.

• peanut01
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. I just figured out how to upload from my phone to the web. Here is the picture of the Dat once it opened. I know this is an old thread and I slacked with posting this final picture.

{{gwi:501894}}

Btw - I was immensely impressed with this bloom, but there was a lot of build up for 1 day of awesomeness. The bloom smelled sweet until you put your nose right up into them. Up close it smelled like tar faintly. I have not noticed seedpods developing on this variety so I am not sure if I will be growing it again or not.

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

That's really beautiful. The way the flower swirls inside is so artistic! Thanks, and you know what they say, better late than never!

• drvongirl
    13 years ago

Nice pics David. I have a datura. It opened up about as much as your first pics of yours. Never fully opened. Does anyone know why they don't open fully? Ellen

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

I love your datura. You should place it near the brugmansia: yellow and purple look so nice together :) I have lots of those naughty visitors in my garden lately nibbling at my squash and green beans.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    13 years ago

Good for you! I love your windmill palm and oleander!

My windmill is about 10 feet high now. It wasn't too fond of our snow last winter.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!