Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

OT Back from Florida trip

honeybunny2 Fox
13 years ago

We just got back from our trip to Florida, and boy, do I have alot of plants to plant. I was lucky and we stopped stop at Florida Colors, Carol and her husband are just the best folks you could ever meet. I got 11 plumeria, and 4 desert roses. I wish you could see her place, acres of beautiful plumeria trees, and her nursery has tables full of rare desert roses. I also bought Purple Siam tulips, siam ruby red bananas trees, and Royal Poinciana seedlings, plus seeds. If anyone here can give me advise on how to grow the siam tulips, siam banana, and royal poinciana seedlings in South Texas, I would appreciate it. Barbra.

Comments (6)

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I'm glad you got to stop by FC. It must have been a sight. I have a Siam Ruby banana and have grown Royal Poinciannas. My banana is potted and goes dormant over the winter. I keep it well watered and feed it about 1x/mo. The foliage is really pretty. The RP seeds are very easy to start and grow. I just soak the seeds and plant them in moist potting mix. They sprout within a couple weeks. I keep the young trees well watered and feed every couple months.They drop their foliage in the winter here and if they get too dry they foliage drops but it recovers quickly. I believe they are drought tolerant once established. I'm not sure if they are hardy in your zone or not. Couldn't tell you a thing about the tulips but I believe they are a type of ginger so maybe the care is similar. Sounds like you got some nice stuff.

• byrd4460
    13 years ago

Barb, I'm so happy you enjoyed you trip
    here n Florida. I Just cannot believe you
    came all the way from Texas and did not stop
    by too see the chocolate Brug. HHmmmmmm ok
    may your next trip you stop by too see CB
    Chocolate Brug

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Chocolate Brug, I wanted to meet you. I did mapquest and you were just too far. I did think about you, how lucky you are to live there. The humity was so high, I finally just put my hair up in a ponytail. I really did have a nice time, the people were very friendly. I can't wait to go back, next time we are going to drive down. Just think of all the plants I can get in the big truck. I went to home depot to buy some glue for my husbands shoe, walked thru the nursery and found the purple siam tulip. They just put them out. I cannot tell you how many people stopped me in the store, and asked about the plant. I bet they were sold out by noon. I think its one of the prettiest blooms I have seen. The pink ones have bigger blooms, but the purple ones are fuller. I just bought purple. I bought 3 and condensed them down to a 1 gallon ziplock, so I could carry them on board. Everything looks great, I will loose some of the RP seedlings, but I think I will have at least 8 that will make it. Those trees were in full bloom while we were down there. Even my husband fell in love with the Royal Poinciana tree. We were told they would do great in Corpus Christi, and we are just 35 miles from CC. My huband shook a trees, to get a seed pod, that is how much he liked it. They told us they are fast growers, but not to put them out until they were at least 3 ft tall. Barbra,

• byrd4460
    13 years ago

Barb It is a must when you and your Hubby drive
    down to Florida we have too meet. And yes I Have
    enough plants too send you back too Texas packing.

Lucy sent me a Royal Poinciana tree last year and
    Low and behold when it arrive The only thing I could
    say is, This is what a Royal Poinciana tree looks like.
    Then I started laughing because me not knowing what they
    were when I saw it I Remember saying these grow wild
    here in Florida. I Have them on an empty lot next too
    me and have been wacking on them for 25 years or better.

Believe me Barb it is a very fast growing tree indeed.
    I can not wait for you too start posting some blooms.

Now you Barb you know I have to show off because this is what you sent me Last year. So every time I see this one
    I think of you. Be Bless
    {{gwi:475234}}{{gwi:475236}}{{gwi:475237}}{{gwi:502342}}

Chocolate Brug

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    13 years ago

You probably got a type of Curcuma. See link below. I know they are hardy through zone 8 and up to warm 7B. They will freeze and come back. Often thought of trying it here, but they're not common and I have enough things to mulch!

Siam Ruby bananas are quite tender, but may survive zone 9 with mulch.

Would love to visit Florida Colors some day. I have a weakness for plumeria.

Here is a link that might be useful: Siam tulip

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dave, where I am going to plant these plants are zone 9, it normally does not freeze there. This past winter was the exception. I even lost the desert roses I had dug up and put in the garage. I hope one day you can go to Florida Colors, the plants are just beautiful, but Carol and her husband are just the best folks you could meet. Even my husband thought they were awesome. I wish we could have stayed longer, but we were with another couple, and they wanted to get to Key West before dark, so I only could stay 1 hour. I got to see all the plumeria trees in bloom, I already know what I will order next year. They look diffrent than their pictures. I had Carol help me select, since I wanted large flowers, that smell like heaven. I should get my plants tomorrow. She gave me 4 rooted cuttings, and I ordered 7.
    Chocolate Brug, my husband will retire in 4 or 5 years, and we will drive to Florida. We have to go thru Tampa, so I know I will get to meet you. Barbra

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH