Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovetogrowflowers

Brugs Wilting every single day HELP

lovetogrowflowers
13 years ago

Can someone please tell me why my brug might be wilting everyday? I water and water and it stands right back up. I'm just afraid that I might overwater. Two are only about 3 ft tall and I gave them both almost 1.5-2 gallons of water just yesterday, wilting today. I gave them that much because for several days now they wilt everyday. I got frustrated and felt that I soaked them, maybe they need that much.

The other is about 5 feet tall and I was angry that it wilts everyday in the sun now for several days, so i gave it about 3-4 gallons just yesterday. The sun is right on them, and the wilting has happened everyday for about a week. What id going on? Are they under watered? Is it the extreme heat? What do I do? Should I water again today knowing I gave them so much yesterday? They're drooping bad.

Comments (14)

• diggy500
    13 years ago

hi luv

I might suggest giving her part sun and less water...
    and very important...don't forget the fetilizer..

good luck
    Diggy

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Are they in direct sun? In Z8 you should have shade for most plants in the afternoon. Even with the shade I have to water all container plants everyday. I've found that larger containers help, but if the plant is wilted it needs water. I've been watering the brugs every day for two summers now and that works fine. Some folks winter over their cuttings in water, so it should be hard to water brugs too much.

• Frances Coffill
    13 years ago

Before watering always check to be sure that they need water, many plants (especially ones with large leaves) wilt in the heat and bounce back in the evening as the temperatures go down.

My brugs are in bright filtered light almost all day, but with temps near in the mid to high 90s for the past 2 weeks they still droop by mid afternoon no matter how moist

• PKponder TX Z7B
    13 years ago

I agree with the heat causing the wilting. Don't get me wrong, I water them almost every day (all in ground), but with our temps in the high nineties for a couple of weeks, they wilt when the sun is on them and as the shade moves over them, they perk back up.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I've had to water my container brugs twice a day for the past couple weeks because of the heat. As long as they are in a well draining soil there's no chance of over-watering an outside brug during the summer.

• ruth_ann
    13 years ago

You can flush all the nutrients out of the container soil by over watering in the amount you have stated so be sure to fertilize often to replace the nutrients. Besides looking at placing your pot in a bit more shade, look at your container and your setting for it. Is it a darker colour ( black, navy, dark brown? If so, the darker colours heat up faster and hols the heat more so the roots get hotter. Choose lighter coloured containers for this reason. Is it on cement, asphalt or a hard surface like patio stones? Hard surfaces also heat up faster and retain the heat longer and that heat transfers to your potted plant roots.Have your pots sitting on soil or grass to prevent this heat transfer.
    in your zone I don't understand why you don't plant it in the ground or after blocking the bottom hole of the container, sink plant, pot and all in the ground as this will keep the roots cooler and reduce the watering.
    I have 10 in the ground. of those 10, 2 will droop on hot days when the sun is on them, the rest don't. It depends on the variety you have but drooping may be perfectly normal for your plant and as long as the soil is damp I wouldn't water as much as you are.i know you are in a hotter zone than I am, I am zone 5-6 and I only water mine in the ground every 4-5 days. I have some small rooted ones ( 3 feet tall)in the Lasagna garden that I planted May 24th weekend that I have only watered once, planted in the ground is majorly easier to care for!

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I wish that I could plant all my brugs inground. Even though I'm watering container plants 2x/day I only have to water the inground plants 1x/wk. I need a bigger yard!

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Thanks ruth ann, you have given me a great idea. I don't know why I didn't think of that either. I've been keeping all my brugs with my other container plants and it's getting crowded. Since deer don't generally eat brugs there's no reason not to set them out in the shade farther from the house.

Because I do water so much, I feed them every other week with bloom booster and then treat with epsom salts on the alternate weeks.

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

Even my inground ones have to be watered at least once a day in this kind of heat. They will droop in the heat then perk back up in the evening but I water anyway if the soil is dry and it always is when we don't get any rain for a long time like now.

• lovetogrowflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the replies. Mine may have just been under watered. All 3 of mine are in ground, and it has been HOT for awhile now. I usually go out with a watering can and water all three. The watering can holds 2 gallons of water and I usually take it out twice and split it between the three.

I'm still learning and hope you all will bare with me. I wasn't taken into account the amount of water they may be losing due to runoff when I'm watering, which may not be much, but then again maybe mine just needed a good soaking, due to the heat and no rain for awhile now. Maybe I wasn't giving them enough.

What I did was finally broke out the hose, and set it on a slow stream. I placed the hose under each brug and left it for about 6-8 minutes on each one. I did that Thursday. Friday, in the extreme heat not one brug wilted on me like they had been doing. I don't think I've been watering deep enough and maybe much of my 2 gallon bucket watering technique was lost due to runoff and wasn't really getting deep down into the roots.

Either way, I'm a newbie and learning, and maybe much of what I am saying makes no sense. However, They stood nice and pretty all day yesterday, it was HOT as HECK and I was happy. Now I'll have to wait and see if I see any signs of over watering. Learn as I go I guess. Thanks again to everyone who offered advice.

• ogrose_tx
    13 years ago

I agree with Diggy500 and pkponder, this intense heat is causing the wilting. The roots just can't absorb the water fast enough due to the heat. More shade should help.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

Mine all look horrid they wilt so bad in the first part of the day and then it gets real muggy and starts raining so by evening they are perked up and happy again.

• jardinerowa
    11 years ago

Brugs love wáter and itôs I would imagine itôs hard to overwater in the heat ESPECIALLY if theyôre in the ground.
    Also, plants with big leaves often èwiltèduring sun-heat as a way to cool off. Bananas do the same thing.

Z

• grullablue
    11 years ago

My brug was wilting every day also, it was telling me it needed water twice a day, not just once. Mine is potted. I also noticed it seemed happier if it got some shade in the afternoon.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus