Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm so glad I grew a brug

Posted by filix z5 maine (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 25, 11 at 17:24

I bought a Charles G. from logees about 8 months ago. It is about 6' tall and has at least 50 buds. Its been blooming since late winter. It's hard to belive it was just a tiny 6 inch plant last fall. No wonder why you folks here in this forum love them so much. I made two cuttings so far, and one is 3 feet with a few buds on it. They are easy to root. I'm told this is one of the easy ones to grow. I'm planning on cutting them back, and maybe leaving them in my unheated garage? It doesn't get any colder than 30s. Too cold? I would also like to try one or two in the ground next year. Filix.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm so glad I grew a brug

Great story, yes they are addictive b/c of their beauty. You have been blessed with a good bloomer. Sometimes we struggle. I believe if your garage stays 35 or above it should be fine. You don't want it to get too cold. Are you going to let it go dormant in the garage or continue growing it? That might make a difference too, others will comment. Sounds like yours is currently potted, did you move it outdoors for the summer? Inground brugmansias are very happy, do try that as well.
Thanks for posting such a positive experience!

o

• Posted by filix z5 maine (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 25, 11 at 18:32

Thankyou tommysmommy. They are in Large pots. I have a plant dolly. I was planing on letting them go dormant. But I will grow some more cuttings. That pink equator looks like a great one to try. filix

o

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 26, 11 at 17:00

Congrats Filix.. Start making room the are addictive.. I hold mine dormant in the garage @ 38* and the do fine..If you are shopping at Logee's you are paying to much for to little.. There are several other places to buy from reputable dealers.. Burgmansia Growers international ($15 membership fee but well worth it), Agrayha Gardens @ ebay, Country Gardens, Fred Sommers @ ebay also The Plant Exchange who also has a FB page .. offering just for the price of postage.. Kasha here at GW (Kathy) has an online store as well.. Come Fall alot of us send out cuttings for postage or trade.. Just a thought!! ;0)

Kylie

o

Sun, Jun 26, 11 at 19:59

Thanks Kylie. I saw last fall that some did the postage thing. I almost did it. But chickend out. I have so many plants that I bring in and out already. But now that I know that brugs can be just put to sleep for the winter, that makes it much easier. And they are so worth it. I think it was Kasha that I almost got them from. Maybe this fall she could help me out. And this time I won't chicken out. Filix.

o

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 27, 11 at 11:25

LOL!!! I'm gonna keep an eye on you come Fall..;0)

Kylie

o

Mon, Jun 27, 11 at 20:22

Please do! :)

Filix

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here