Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvbrugs

two PROBLEMS, please help

luvbrugs
13 years ago

Guys, '

i am kind of desperate. My crape myrtles are all infested with white fly, what can i do? and also, i have some two year old cuttings that Brenda gave me and a few new ones from Eloise ( thanks girls) but those and my older brugs (2) are not doing anything, not one single bloom, what am i doing wrong? i am about to give up on my favorite plant!

please help. They look healthy but no blooms, the new cuttings are very small yet, and wont grow much, i guess they are too young?

thanks so much for your help

Comments (5)

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Hi Luvbrug-
    Don't despair- there's a cure for everything! Try blasting white flies with water from your hose to dislodge them. If that fails, (because your crepes are too tall) you can treat them with a systemic. Granules stirred into the soil around the tree, sprinkled up to about the leaf line. Water well. I'm using Bayer 2 in 1 Rose & flower care in the blue bottle from Lowe's for about $8.00. Works great on spider mites too. I've discovered that if you place your brugs in a location where they get early and / or evening sun, and try to keep them shaded from the hot afternoon sun,and keep moist, they really appreciate it. I have pinks that are starting to bloom in pots in that kind of location, but nothing from my yellows yet. Others have just started to Y. If they are cuttings, they'll have to grow a bit to get to the Y stage. How tall are they? Be patient- many brugs like to have cool evenings (like in the fall) before they really start to bloom. That's their show time! Don't give up- keep babying them, they will reward you with beautiful blooms when they're ready!
    Best wishes-
    hugs-
    kasha77

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Question- are your brugs still in pots? If they are, you might need to plant in a bigger pot, or better yet- stick them in the ground, so they can stretch out. I forgot to mention- please fertilize your brugs- they are hungry little critters! I planted mine in composted horse manure mixed with my sandy soil, then fertilized with full strength miracle grow one week, then fish emulision the next, (my home made brew),and last week I fed them with Bayer 2 in 1 because something was eating them & I couldn't see what it was. That stuff is good for 6 weeks, but I'll probably feed them again any way. Wow- they are just taking off now! Good luck!
    kasha77

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Hi G, Kathy has given you some great advice. Be a bit patient with your brug cuttings. They are still new and need to grow some.

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

The older ones probably need more fertilizer. They don't bloom too well in the heat here. I get my best flushes in the fall when the temps cool down. You should get some as long as they get adequate water and food once they Y. Switch to bloom booster after they get a Y. I gave two of them to a friend a couple of years ago and hers have never bloomed because she keeps them in the shade and doesn't feed a lot. You will have nice foliage that way but no blooms. They need at least some sun to bloom. Filtered light is good through a tree canopy too with morning sun in the heat.

• luvbrugs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks so much ladies, i finally have a great happenning here, one little baby is BLOOMING, yeaaaaay. I am so hopeful now

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions