Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Bud with no Y or unequal leaves

karyn1
15 years ago

I noticed a bud on a Halo Peach but the plant hasn't Y'd and the leaf bases are all equal. Is this a variety that sets buds w/o a Y? I took a pic but haven't loaded it yet. I'll post it later this evening.

Karyn

Comments (16)

• chena
    15 years ago

Halo Peach.. Did that come from 7S7.. I have seen him list them B4..VERY COOL!!!! Please post pic's!!!
    Kylie

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I do think that I got it from Willy. Here it is.
    Karyn

{{gwi:506090}}

• karmahappytoes
    15 years ago

That is odd, can we see more leaves? I trust you and just would love to see this as it goes against all that we know or have been told.

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

I don't know but it pretty, lol.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's too dark now but I can take a pic tomorrow. It's not very big, maybe 14" and all the leaves are even and no y not even any branching, weird!
    karyn

• davidwv
    15 years ago

Karyn and others,

This does go against the conventional wisdom of what we have been taught, however it does happen on the very rare occasion.

What has caused this is that this cutting was taken from the fruiting or blooming potion of the plant, not from the vegetative part of the plant. I am almost 100% sure that as the plant continues to grow it will start to show asymmetrical (uneven) leaves near the buds. If it does not then it is really out of the ordinary.

Alistair over at ABADS could explain this in better detail than I can, because he has a greater depth of knowledge about how the different types of plant tissue develops.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks David. I figured that there must be some reason that this happened. I'm sure the cutting was taken from above or a fork of a Y because it's blooming while still so short.
    Karyn

• karmahappytoes
    15 years ago

davidwv, you did good and no other explaination is needed. Some of us know this can happen but in the past when we would say this we were told by those at ABADS that this was not possible. Anything is possible and it's should be recorded, but many times it's not. I have had this happen and I do believe the environment also has a key role in this as we see more of them from the upper part of the Brugs above the 'Y' that are not developed well bloom.

• chena
    15 years ago

Very Cool!!! Great explation Dave makes sense...
    Kylie

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    15 years ago

I have had a few do that. When I first got Rosalla there was a seedpod hanging off from the middle of the stem and no y or subequal leaves anywhere. Then it grew up about 6 more inches, then made a Y above that and made more flowers. I had a few that made flowers first, then a Y a few inches up as well.

I am thinking that the plant/cutting was actually half of a Y (taken from the flowering part of the plant)so it didn't feel it needed to make a Y.

• beachplant
    15 years ago

I've had several bud without forming a y first. One got to be close to 10' tall, had blooms hanging off the main stem, finally started sprouting some side branches, new growth from bottom so it doesn't look as weird. The very first ones I traded for all bloomed from the cuttings, some even before they rooted, I had the things sitting on bricks so the flowers didn't hang on the ground. I think it is a lot more common than we've been told. None of my plants can read and I'm pretty sure they don't listen to ABADS or visit the website.
    Tally HO!

• napdognewfie
    15 years ago

I've got equal leaves on my Var Peach NOID. This is one of my big overwintered & uncut plants & it has one bloom (just opened) & a bud. Some of the other branches have unequal leaves that I hope will be soon showing some buds.

Linda

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tally I love it "None of my plants can read and I'm pretty sure they don't listen to ABADS or visit the website." LOL
    Karyn

• Mihirr
    11 years ago

Hi, I am Mihir from Mumbai, India. I got a few cuttings of Peach Brugmansia from a hill station nearby.

• Mihirr
    11 years ago

A yr after planting and nurturing I find new strong shoots and they are now forming a Y for the first time. Cant wait to see it blooming.

• eloise_ca
    11 years ago

Congratulations Mihir in growing brugs from cuttings! I know you will be excited to see it's first blooms.