Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Finally!

karyn1
13 years ago

The first flush, a small one but a flush none the less. I just wish I could figure out what it is. I don't recognize it but know that I've had it for at least a year. I can't read the tag but think it starts with an "R". The buds were kind of yellowish and opened a stark white which is pretty common. Boring and I was disappointed as I don't care much for white brugs. The next morning they were pink. I have a lot of brugs that change color but this was so dramatic. Over the next several hours the blooms deepened to a medium pink with some yellow mottling. This morning they are starting to lighten up again. I'll get more pics if the next blooms open white.

{{gwi:506377}}

{{gwi:506381}}

{{gwi:506383}}

{{gwi:506386}}

{{gwi:506388}}

These last 3 pics are from a short time ago. They are so much lighter. I wonder what they'll look like tomorrow?

{{gwi:506389}}

{{gwi:506391}}

{{gwi:506395}}

Here's my culebra. It's doing great and I wasn't sure if it would even live as I let it go dormant over the winter. I normally keep that, the sangs, vulcs and Snowbank growing over the winter. It would be nice if it bloomed but the foliage is so thick that I can't see what's going on. Looks a lot like pot buds.

{{gwi:506398}}

Comments (16)

• figara
    13 years ago

Congrats Karyn. Beautiful, I like the 2 tone color on it. It is so nice that it doesn't matter the name, but... you can call it Mr. R or...Mrs. R :-). How does it smell?
    Your culebra looks good.
    Pat

• linda441
    13 years ago

Rubirosa?? I like the multi-colors --- definitely a keeper!

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

That is a beauty of a brug Karyn! Really love the edging of white on dark pink it has. Could it be a cross? Will be interesting to see if all the blooms are that way. My culebra seems to be hanging on (thx Brenda). It wasn't doing that well indoors, but now I just keep it outside next to miner's claim and it looks like it will make it!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    13 years ago

Cool! Two-tone brugs!

• ruth_ann
    13 years ago

Interesting colour dispersal on that one Karyn!

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I honestly think the colors are just some sort of screw up. It's tag is in my handwriting but I don't remember anything looking like that last year. I'll have to see what the next flush looks like. There's two more branches with buds developing above that Y. I do like the two tone look though. I know it's not Rubirosa because I've never had one. Just some Rubirosa seed crosses that I've started this year.

Eloise where did you find your Miner's Claim? I lost mine a couple years ago and haven't been able to find another.

• gardenpaw
    13 years ago

Congrats Karyn!!!
    That bloom looks awesome!

Karen

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A couple more opened and they are again stark white. It's such a contrast with the pink. I'll upload and post them later this evening. BTW it has a lighter fragrance then most of my other brugs and the scent doesn't seem to carry but it's a nice scent. It would be nice if it perfumed the air instead of having to stick your nose in the bloom but ya can't have everything. lol

• byrd4460
    13 years ago

That is very nice Karyn, Congratulations
    on your Molten Blooms I love when they have
    that Virus effect when they first Bloom.

Chocolate Brug

• marcie_new
    13 years ago

That is such a pretty bloom! My brugs are barely setting buds well just one, my dble white is barely coming back and so is the yellow one, for some reason my plants are sure slow to come back this year,I will take pictures and post over the weekend.

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

Those are cool colors on that one. Mine are not liking the sudden heat wave so soon, lol.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

More opened and they are a solid pink. No more two tone blooms. Too bad, I liked them. I wish I'd had another variety in bloom so I could have pollinated the bicolored flowers. Oh well it's still a very nice pink. The difference in color from when it opens to the next day is fairly dramatic. Even my Frosty Pink doesn't change as much. It might be a Rahabana but I'm not positive so it will be yet another pink NOID. One day I'm going to be able to keep my plants labeled. lol

{{gwi:506401}}
    {{gwi:506404}}
    {{gwi:506407}}

Here's a pic of one of my favorite bugs. A Golden Tortoise beetle. It eats morning glories and is a bit destructive but it's so pretty that I keep them around. One of my favorite plants is starting to bloom, Strophanthus preussii. It has the colest looking flowers.

{{gwi:506410}}
    {{gwi:506412}}

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Very pretty Karyn and that beetle is amazing.

Maybe the two toned blooms will reappear. The Flamenco blooms I had a few weeks ago started out so white it had me double checking the tags. The next morning it was a beautiful pink.

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Karyn, that one with white edging was beautiful, but the solid pink is also. I like the way the inside looks with that lighter pink. Cool looking beautiful! I got my MC at the nursery where I bought the papaya. A couple of years ago they had it discounted for $18, but I haven't seen that again!

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The place I got my MC only had them for a short time. I did come across one at a nursery in WV but they don't list their prices so I'll have to give them a call. Has your ever bloomed? Mine didn't but I only had it for a season or two. Do you know of any other variegated foliage brugs with pink blooms? I've seen some listed in European nurseries but nothing here. Speaking of European nurseries take a look at this place. Everything is gorgeous! I asked DH if he would contact them and see if they would sell to him. DH gets shipments from the Aalsmeer auctions 2x/wk. It's all cut material but even if they can't ship plants in containers I don't see why they couldn't send cuttings. We'll see if he calls.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gommer

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

I love your brug. Glad you are getting flushes again now. I don't think the brug could be rubirosa because the flower shape isn't the same and rubirosa hangs at more of an angle. Its pretty whatever it is though. I love your Strophanthus preussii, one of my favorite vines.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio