Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kasha77

systemic pesticide & fertilizer question

kasha77
13 years ago

Hi-

I'm plagued with something eating my brugs- not snails,I've used slug bait, but the damage continues at night. Has anyone tried Bayer Rose & flower care 2 in 1 systemic? Feeds and protects in one easy step. I've got about 2oo brugs to care for & it's getting a bit overwhelming. I think it might be earwigs. I've also just read that soysauce and canola oil in a shallow dish kills them, but I'm out of that. Any ideas?

Thanks!

kasha77

Comments (11)

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Earwigs are a possibility as they do feed at night but they cause very little damage. If you have significant damage I'd look for a different culprit. Probably caterpillars if it's not slugs or snails. Be careful using insecticides as most will kill the beneficial insects too.

• lisalovesflowers2
    13 years ago

I have had excellent results with Bayer Rose & flower care. However, some of the bottles say "kills spider mites" and some of them don't. I really don't understand the difference because I've stood in the store looking at two different bottles and everything is identical except one says kills spider mites and the other doesn't. I have thought of calling them to ask but haven't gotten around to it. Anyway, I have always had excellent results until one time I noticed it didn't seem to be working and that's when I noticed I had picked up a bottle that didn't kill spider mites. So be sure that the bottle you get says "red spider mites" and it should be on the front of the bottle very easy to see.

I don't believe that it lists earwigs, but it probably would also take care of them. Hope I helped a little I realize I have rambled on and probably confused you.

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

If you use it don't mix it too strong or it mill make the leaves spotted and ugly on some of them. Don't ask me why it only affects some. Daydreams was one that didn't like it.

• Frances Coffill
    13 years ago

I use the Bayer 2 in one on all of my flowering plants, I like it a lot, but it is a commitment, you need to apply it every 6 - 8 weeks and it will not give you the instant gratification that liquid food/pesticides do. It needs time to work its way up from the roots.

I have learned to really appreciate slow release products a lot during the 2+ years of drought and water restrictons we have had and use them for all feeding/incest control except 'emergencies'

When I need a "Right NOW" cure I use liquid Sevin. I hate to use sprays, but sometimes its me or the bugs.....

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone- it's been 10 days now since I've used the Bayer 2 in 1- what a difference it makes! The fertilizer in it has greened up my plants, and they are much taller. They also look so much more healthier. I don't know what has been eating them but now I have caterpillars. I used Dipel, a biological powder that is ingested and it kills them. I have to re apply it because of the rain. But that works great too! I really hate to use poisons, but sometimes you just have to. I love to see the frogs, bees, soldier beetles and other beneficials, and don't want to hurt them. It makes me happy to see that my garden is so healthy!
    kasha77

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Kathy, glad you found a solution for your bug problem. Each year, I read up on stuff to keep those darn worms off my apple tree, but haven't really done anything about it. I got back from vacation and saw some of the apples were ready, but already damaged :-( I just hate spraying any chemicals in my yard.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I never get any peaches because something eats them before they ripen but I refuse to spray so I grow stuff that isn't susecptible like figs and berries. I'll see what happens with my fuyu persimmon if I can keep the damn deer away from them. I'm surprised that my neighbors didn't call the police the other night. I looked out the window sometime after 1 am and saw a deer eating my tree. I ran outside, grabbed a rake and started yelling "I'm going to kill you" LOL

• luvbrugs
    13 years ago

how do you apply the 2 in one? do you spray it or is it just on the roots? sorry for the ignorance :(

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

luvbrugs-
    That's okay- the Bayer 2 in 1 is in granular form- you just sprinkle some around the root zone-
    kasha77

• tsmith2579
    13 years ago

Use the systemic and save some to spray the leaves.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

tsmith-
    Do you mean you dilute the granules in water & then spray it on the leaves? I'm sure that would work. What ratio do you use? I don't want to burn my plants. I love the idea of using it once every 6 weeks, but I am still using Miracle Grow too, and Dipel once a week, to keep the cabbage worms at bay. At least my plants look great again. I'd suggest everyone use the 2 in 1, I still have beneficials on my plants, so that's great!
    kasha77

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area