Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sibhskylvr

A Few Pics Of The Yard! It's Coming Along! Note - OT!! :)

sibhskylvr
15 years ago

I have to agree with Karyn! :) This is OT!! lol! And for Father's Day - I spent it mowing & taking a few pics. (I haven't weeded yet!) Any volunteers?? No blooming brugs yet! Darnit!! Soon - very soon! (I hope!) But they are getting bigger! :)

Mike

{{gwi:506527}}

{{gwi:506528}}

{{gwi:506529}}

{{gwi:506530}}

{{gwi:506531}}

{{gwi:506532}}

{{gwi:506535}}

{{gwi:506539}}

{{gwi:506540}}

{{gwi:506543}}

{{gwi:506544}}

{{gwi:506546}}

{{gwi:506548}}

{{gwi:506549}}

{{gwi:498504}}

Comments (28)

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

Happy Father's Day to you Mike. I just HAD to complement you on the beautiful landscaping with a LOT of Brugs. NO OT there hahahaha Nobody said they had to be in bloom lol. Mine are not either but SOON *s* I can just see how spending father's day out in the yard must have brought you the next best thing to having your children with you. JOY!
    Luzia

• sibhskylvr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Luzia

Thanks! :) When I moved into this place a year & a half ago - there was nothing but one small rose bush & about eight hollyhocks! And LOTS of weeds!! That was it! And of course the trees! lol! The yard is finally looking like something - not sure 'what' yet, but! lol! It can only look better when the brugs & dats & various other plants start blooming! :)

Mike

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

Happy Father's Day Mike. Your yard looks beautiful! You have really made it nice. What is that orange flower? I have to get one whatever it is. Its so colorful!

• greatnan
    15 years ago

Happy Father's Day Mike. Thanks so much for sharing your lovely yard with us, it's gorgeous. The red and the orange
    flowers are so pretty, what are they?
    Jan

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

Mike your yard looks SO MUCH better then mine and I had about the same time to work on it lol. But as you said, once everything starts growing and blooming...........watch out! The way you did your yard gave me a idea on how I could go about filling mine in. At times I look at mine and do not know HOW to start doing it. Living on top of a hill und nothing but huge rocks when you start digging :-( Right now I do a LOT of container growing ;-) I can not wait to see lots more pictures of your yard as things grow and bloom. I am so happy you share that with us.
    Luzia

• sibhskylvr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kristy & Jan

The orange one is the wild asclepias tuberosa (butterfly weed) that grows here (everywhere!) I dug a bunch of it up on a road side last year. The red one is Monarda - Scarlet Cambridge(also known as - bee balm).

Luzia

I do have a plan in mind for the yard - it's just going to take some time! lol! And ALOT of mulch when the time comes. I've put off doing a few things because I'm still hoping to find a newer house this summer! I looked at the following house last Saurday. I was there with the real estate guy for about two hours! I really like it! It definitely needs some work to accomodate the brugs!! lol! It sits on half an acre & it's only 1 1/2 mile to work for me. Good for the gas situation!

Mike
    {{gwi:506583}}
    {{gwi:506584}}
    {{gwi:506585}}
    {{gwi:506586}}

{{gwi:506587}}

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

Mike seeing what you did in the short time to the present yard, I am sure you would turn any yard including this one from the house you looked at Saturday, into a heaven for brugs and all the other lovely plants.
    Can you dig up brugs in the middle of summer in case you move?
    Luzia

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

Thanks Mike. I thought the red one was a giant zinnia, lol. I had no idea bee balm was so pretty. I need to get starts of those when you have some available. They are really nice. I hope the house thing works out. Just think of all the plants you can have with all that room and gas you save going to work, lol.

• napdognewfie
    15 years ago

You have a good sized yard there Mike. Everything looks great. I love the Asclepias, orange is my favorite color. The new house is nice but the yard doesn't look as big.

Linda

• greatnan
    15 years ago

Thank you for the plant info and now I'll add these plants to my just have to have.

The house is lovely and with the way you go at gardening it'll be a tropical paradise in no time. With a 1/2 acre it'll be full of brugs, brugs and more brugs :).........
    Jan

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

Mike, are all your brugs directly in the ground or in buckets that are planted? I would love to put more of mine ingroud but I am running out of room in the part shade areas against the house but I have the back fenceline that isn't in cooking hot sun all day. I need a longer water hose, lol. I really like the wood split rail fence with the brugs along it. Its going to look wonderful when they bet big and bloom. Do you have a hard time planting them on the fence line with grass? I am afraid the chain link is going to be hard to keep grass out of. I so wanted the wood fence. Oh well, maybe next year.

• karyn1
    15 years ago

You have a nice piece of property. Flat and perfect for gardening. It looks good. Is that a Culebra that you have in the ground? You're brave. Not only is mine in a pot but it's living in the shade house. lol Any monarchs on your asclepias yet? I haven't seen any on mine and they've usually started munching by now. No hummers yet either but that's not so unusual. They are usually late getting here. Keep up he good work.
    Karyn

• sibhskylvr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Luzia

If I should happen to get the 'other' place or ANY 'other' place - that's a question I'll be asking myself. lol! Can I dig them up - plus everything else? Yes - I'll have to! I won't leave them behind!

Linda

The front yard is a little smaller - but the back yard is very large (half for me & half for the dogs!) And the house itself is bigger than the mobile I'm in! :)

Kristy

All of my brugs are planted directly in the ground - no buckets. That wooden fence is the neighbors - it separates our property line. She has no problems with me planting anything on my side - as she doesn't have a green thumb. I couldn't ask for a better neighbor! I have brugs all around the chain link fence in the back & the grass is harder to keep weeded around it. The weed-eater goes through alot of string! lol! Ignore the old metal storage shed! :) It's not that great looking - but it does hold all my garden stuff.
    {{gwi:506588}}

I'll be putting out most of my brug seedlings & anything else that will add a little color through the back area - as I've not really done alot back there - yet! Spent alot of my time back there just getting rid of the junk left by the previous owners.

Mike

• sibhskylvr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Karyn

Yes - that's the 'Culebra' Brenda sent me & he's in the ground! :) He's a little small - but he's doing great where he's at. He gets a small amount of morning sun, then a few hours of shade, & then about five hours of sun through the evening. So far - so good! I think he's happy! No monarchs on the asclepias yet - they should be coming around soon. They usually show up about the time the 'Tithonia' (mexican sunflower) starts blooming. Lots of hummers though! :)

Mike

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

I can't sleep so I might as well babble some more. I would be scared to let my hubby weedeat around any plants. He gets kind of brutal, lol. I don't care about the fence just the plants. It looks very nice back there. I have an ugley white shed that I wanted to put lattice up and grow something to cover it but that is another project not done yet. Hubbie isn't much into building things. If I had the proper tools like I used to have I could build my own stuff. Speaking of just realized I did have a bunch before. Gonna have to have a chat with the ex and see if he snuck them when I moved here. I need em back now, lol.

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

Mike, that looks like a huge piece of property to mow! Everything looks great. Hope you get the new property if that is what you really want. BTW, does it flood in that new property like it did on this one, and did you ever find any of your brugs that floated away?

• gardenpaw
    15 years ago

Mike your yard looks great! Your doing a wonderful job
    landscaping.
    The new house is pretty and with the gas situation being what it is would be a BIG plus!
    Good luck,
    Karen

• karmahappytoes
    15 years ago

Nice Mike, do keep us all posted on how they all do.

• wildflower
    15 years ago

Everything looks great Mike! It's all so healthy and lush looking. I really love the brugs along the fence at the driveway. That's going to be a grand entrance here before long.

• gottahosta
    15 years ago

Mike, Mike

Wondering where ya bean!!! WEll, ya bean busy!!!

You'll think ya died and went to heaven, evenings when all those brugs start blooming outside your windows!

Nice, nice!! Ya got my vote!!!!! LOL!

Good luck with the house! But I sure like what ya got now.

Brenda

• Central_Cali369
    15 years ago

Mike, are you going to lift them in the fall, or are you going to mulch? I can tell you, brugs will come back with a vengance if frozen to the ground! My Frosty Pink froze to the ground during a freeze and the following summer grew to over eight feet tall!

• karyn1
    15 years ago

Mike I like the house you are looking at. I'm partial to brick or stone. Have you made an offer? How's the real estate market there? It's not terrible here but not great. Definitely a buyers market. Houses are sitting for a longer time and prices are way down. 2 years ago a house would be on the market for 5 minutes and have 5 contracts all above the asking price. What was >900K then is 700-800K now. I almost feel sorry for all the people that bought at the height of the craze.
    Karyn

• pagrdnr
    15 years ago

Everything looks good. I am going to put a few in the ground once I get a new bed dug along my porch but they will be in pots with holes cut into them sunk into the ground so they will be easy to lift in the fall.

Kary I can't believe you don't have hummingbirds yet, they have been here for a few weeks now. I may have to move my feeder off the porch and out into the yard because they always fight when more than one is trying to feed and freak me out when they go flying right past my head. I was eating my cereal out there the other day and spilled it all over myself when I jumped because I thought one was going to hit me, lol.
    Shawn

• karyn1
    15 years ago

Shawn I usually don't see hummers in any numbers until early July.
    Karyn

• chena
    15 years ago

Mike you have been busy!! It all looks wonderful.. I would love to see ya get the house but I cringe at the thought of haveing to dig an move everything.. at least before fall..I can't wait to see that fence line in bloom.. That is going to be quite a show...
    Kylie

• jeep461
    15 years ago

Mike, I was a real Estate broker for many years. Make a offer that you cannot pass up. If you don't ask for it you cannot get it. As a general rule I knock 30% off asking price but I am a wholesale buyer. ( or get cash back at closing and pay off credit cards and do the repairs) It it the bottom line that counts for buyer and seller. Get a buyers warranty and keep it renewed.

A house is your best investment. You get to live in it and it goes up in value.

IMHO,

Jim

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

I agree with the warranty. Mine came with a year free and I had to replace the entire duct work and only paid $55, of course I found out today they did a lousy job of it but hopefully the insurance will make them come fix it. I'm glad I renewed it. Its so good to have a place that is yours and to know you can make all the beds you want and never have to dig them up to take or leave them behind again. I think thats why I'm so plant crazy now. I was deprived before, lol. Like Jim said. Make them an offer you might get a heck of a deal with the economy in the crapper like it is. They were about to do some remodeling on my house when I bought it during prime season and I got it 10,000 cheaper as is. There was nothing really wrong with it that I couldn't live with and put in what I want a little at a time like the ugly linoleum in the kitchen but heck, the longer I can put if off the longer the new stuff will be new when I get it done finally, lol.

• linda441
    15 years ago

Mike
    Your yard is beautiful! It will be a chore digging up and moving all the plants (I know -- I recently did just that)
    but the new house looks very nice and you'll have fun re-landscaping. I hope you are able to get it at a good price.
    Linda