Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Heat tolerance of B. sanguinea, vulcanicola and their hybrids

mark4321_gw
13 years ago

Hi,

I'm running into a similar problem with Brugmansia sanguinea, vulcanicola and their hybrid as one I've run into with Andean Passifloras. I sometimes give away cuttings or rooted cuttings and people from the Deep South are interested in trying them. Sometimes I'll say no, sometimes tell them it's unlikely to survive, or sometimes just suggest they trade them with someone outside the area or who has a cool greenhouse.

I was told that our climate is borderline for the cold growing Brugmansias. Our summer average is 80/55 (Sunset zone 15 for those who know the Western zones). Has anyone ever heard of success keeping B. sanguinea, vulcanicola or their hybrids outside all year in the Deep South? Or for that matter, anywhere more than 50 miles from the Pacific Ocean?

Thanks,

Randy

Comments (14)

• threas
    13 years ago

Hi Randy, I can't help you but, I wish there was more info on the iternet about Sangs...

Theresa

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Actually, Theresa, maybe you can--at least a little.

When you get weather in the 90s/70s as I see you are forecast to in a couple days, do your plants suffer? If it's for longer than just a couple days, what then?

Surely someone on this forum in Miami or Houston has tried to grow B. sanguinea or B. vulcanicola. What happened?

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I don't know if this helps but prior to keeping these brugs in a cooled GH during high heat they were outside. It wasn't that the plants declined. The foliage actually grew well but I never got blooms. I did notice that they didn't bounce back like other varieties if unwatered for a few days. It seemed that once they began to decine it continued until the plant was lost. I do have some exceptions, a couple sangs that unknowingly went dormant over the past winter and were taken out and had been left in full afternoon sun this year are doing ok and haven't been moved to the cool GH yet but are nowhere near blooming size. They started back from the roots as all the above ground growth had died back during winter storage. My B. arborea isn't in the cool GH and is growing just fine though it gets only am sun.

• sekhment
    13 years ago

Well I live in mich so Im of not real use, heheh. any how I hope you find your ansewer. I use my house as a cool greenhouse. Whe it gets in the high80s especialy with high humidity I bring my aborea, and zunacs in. But I have sang.x oro verde and sang x wildfire seedlings out side and they do very well in the heat weird?

• phoenixryan
    13 years ago

All I can say is that B Sanguinea did NOT like Phoenix, but then again, not many brugs do like our hot and dry weather.

Phoenix Ryan

• imcanadian
    13 years ago

Randy, I think JT tried cold weather groups,not sure his outcome.Joelle

• brugmansiaddict
    13 years ago

Hey Randy!

Here in So. Cal. I leave my Zunacs and other vulc seedlings out in full sun all year long. Sun from about 8AM to about 4PM in the summer. It regularly gets over 90 and 100 here in the summer. I haven't had any issues. Of course they don't bloom then, but they do bloom in the winter/early spring.

You just have to check if wilting is from the soil being too moist or if it just from the heat.

My motto has always been let them dry out between waterings.

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Matt,

The thing is we are really spoiled in our parts of California--the heat has a totally different character than in other parts of the country. It's brief, usually only 3 or 4 days, and even when it's hot it usually cools down at night.

Last summer seemed unbearably hot here--heat wave followed by heat wave. However I checked and about 2/3 of the days were in the 70s (or sometimes 60s). Only a couple days all summer had lows of 65 or above.

I've lived in Pasadena, which was much, much hotter than here, and in Houston, which makes Pasadena seem like San Francisco by comparison.

I've had a lot of discussions with people in hotter climates (either warmer parts of California or the Deep South) as to why they can't grow Tacsonias (Passifloras such as P. parritae and P. antioquiensis). Problems seem to arise when the heat is constant or the plants don't get a break at night.

That said, I'm getting the impression that Brugmansias are a little more resistant to the heat than Passifloras from similar altitudes. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that Passiflora have thin leaves that can be many feet from their source of moisture.

I think it's amazing to imagine a plant from around 10,000 feet that may never in its lifetime in the wild experience a high temperature as high as some of the low temperatures it might be exposed to in a summer in the Deep South. Some of those places get many nights with LOWS in the 80s.

As an aside, do people graft heat-sensitive species onto temperature tolerant rootstock? Does this help?

• brugmansiaddict
    13 years ago

I have heard of people grafting various Sphaerocarpium onto "aurea" root stock. I haven't heard of any long term success though. But that's just because the people stopped reporting on them. Who knows? Maybe they still have them.

I am still of firm belief that if a goofball like me can grow vulcs in this heat, then anyone can grow them anywhere with the proper love and care(and a little bit of experimentation). :)

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Matt,

But how hot is "hot"? Are you in an area that's hotter than downtown L.A.? The average there right now is 82/63. Most of the country wouldn't consider that too bad (with reasonable humidity). For some reason I thought you were in a slightly cooler region.

In contrast Miami averages 90/76, Houston 93/73, New Orleans 91/74, D.C. 87/69. All known for their humidity, of course.

• brugmansiaddict
    13 years ago

It's about 88/65 right now. It will get to 90-100+/70-80 toward the end of July through August I'm sure. That's the norm anyway. Humidity is around 50%.

I am sure humidity plays a roll, but I am more convinced that with a soil that is 70%+ drainage material(i.e. pumice, lava, or perlite), so that it dries out quickly so it can be watered again soon, the humidity won't have too much of an overwhelming effect.

I have heard of sang and arborea growers getting blooms in winter in Florida.

• john_stewart
    13 years ago

What's the highest temp y'all have observed sangs, etc. blooming at? And does humidity seem to be a factor in whether they hold their buds or not?

• passion4passies
    13 years ago

Brugmansiaaddict,
    Here is a blog by a man in England who has definitely had success with grafting, as you had asked above, also several crosses. http://hurstwoodbrugmansia.blogspot.com/

• rhapsody616
    11 years ago

Why do they call them cold brug if they grow just fine in zone 10?

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner