Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Prop. of a difficult species by basal cuttings--Zunac vulcanicola

mark4321_gw
13 years ago

Just over two months ago I got a rooted cutting from one of the Zunac vulcanicolas (thanks Michael):

{{gwi:506924}}

I of course noticed the shoots, including one at the base, as I was looking forward to propagating the plant:

{{gwi:506925}}

The plant has grown, however the shoots on the side are not big enough to try rooting:

{{gwi:506926}}

However the basal shoot did grow faster, and 3 weeks ago I dug around it and noticed a couple roots. So I dug it up (breaking the roots) and potted it up. 5 days later it had grown more roots--in the photo you can see an original one one the right (broken) and a new one on the left. There are other short ones that are not visible.

{{gwi:506928}}

So I figured I got one cutting for "free" and that the rest would be a bit of a pain, many would die, and it would take weeks. However, a new basal shoot immediately shot up (this is again 5 days after removing the first):

{{gwi:506930}}

These guys grow fast, and 5 or 7 days ago I harvested that one--again it had some roots, and when dug up today, had even more:

{{gwi:506932}}

(the cutting almost looks like it's brown and rotting in the photo--I think it's just a reflection of the red).

I was pleased, but not overly surprised, to see another basal shoot replace that one after a few days. I was surprised to see a second, and then perhaps a third:

{{gwi:506933}}

(there appears to be a fourth just to the left of the trunk, but it is attached to the trunk at ground level).

I did some digging with my finger, and broke this guy off as well. It was one piece, but I broke it in 2. I think it's Brugmansia...

{{gwi:506934}}

I will not be surprised if one or both of those guys root--I'll check in a week.

{{gwi:506935}}

I'm curious how long the plant will keep on churning out these basal shoots. It's like the plant really wants to send one up and will keep on trying.

I'm also curious if it's possible to induce the formation of basal shoots. For any species/hybrid these should root easily and grow quickly, although of course they are below the Y.

Comments (8)