Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do Brugmansias like poop

Posted by motaro none (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 21:23

Hi. I started some Brugmansia Suaveoleons Pink Delight from seed this winter. I got them on ebay, they came from India and took a month to get here by boat which is pretty cool. They're like my children. Only 2 seeds of the 5 sprouted, which is ok. I grew them in my room under a workshop light. I'm in Massachusetts so I couldn't bring them out until May. They're about 10" tall now and look very healthy and leafy.

I've transplanted them 3 times and this last time as I was about to put them into a bigger pot, the neighbors dog took a huge poop on my lawn, so I divided it in half and put the poop at the bottom of each of the new (clay)pots. I then put soil in the pots and the Brugmansias in them. It's a pretty shallow pot so the roots should hit the poop pretty soon. Do you think they will like the poop? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do Brugmansias like poop

It's generally not recommended to use dog waste. In compost piles anyway, which I think would have the same thinking. Not sure why. Perhaps it's the "fillers" in dog food.

Wish I could use it on plants. My dog makes lots. ;-)

o

The greasy content of meat eater's poop attracts critters that might dig up your plants, and of course ants. Grease/meat takes a longer time to decompose. Better to stick to Llama or other veggie poops for gardening.

o

Mine eat lots of poop lol! Chicken (and other fowl) and rabbit manure. I also have used Milorganite with wonderful results. Sure makes them GREEN !!! I don't think I would use dog or cat poo on them but I have read that in other countries, people fertilize their gardens with their own 'night soil' so who knows if the brugs might like it lol.

o

Ok cool, I will now patiently await the all mighty fork.

o

• Posted by rednofl 9b Goldenrod Fl hz (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 21:11

Never put fresh manure in your pots it can burn your plants. It should always be aged. Cat and dog poop can contain parasites and viruses that would be dangerous to humans so not the best manure to use especially in vegetable gardens. Brugs are pretty tough plants so you are probably ok.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here