Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blooming above the Y question

Posted by dobra1629 z9/LA (dobra1629@yahoo.com) on
Tue, Jun 8, 10 at 21:24

I have heard that brugs start blooming once the y in the branches has formed, and was also told that cuttings should be taken from above the y also. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Dorothy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blooming above the Y question

Great question Dorothy, as a newbie I too am curious about this, can't wait for the experts to answer!! Ellen

o

This is my take on this, although some may disagree. A seedling generally takes at least a year to produce a bloom, at or above the "Y". Cuttings taken from above this juncture should flower when the resulting plant has attained proper size and strength. Any cuttings taken from this or resulting plants in the future should be considered above the "Y", even though there is not a "Y" on that plant.

Jack

o

I have the same results with seed grown plants. It's at least a full year before I get blooms. Usually in the second season but I do know some folks that get blooms the first year from seed, Brenda, for one. I often get blooms earlier on cuttings that have been taken from above a Y as opposed to cuttings taken from branches that have yet to bloom but that's not always the case. I've had some cuttings bloom very early on while the plant is still quite small. The blooms end up being longer then the plant is tall.

o

Cutting can be taken from any part of the plant that is firm enough to root. Small thing green ones are the hardest. They tend to wither but it can be done in the right conditions. I have found the above the Y ones to bloom faster in the beginning but I think on the very small plants that do that the buds were already forming when the cutting was taken. I have had some get 8 feet tall before they Y and others do it when they are small. I guess its genetics for some of them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here