Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Mango Crush Iochroma australe and misc

karyn1
13 years ago

Mango Crush started blooming. I can't get near it to get a decent pic. It has a nice scent but it's very light. It's only had about 5 blooms open but not a single one has any pollen. The anthers are thin and dry. Someone mentioned that none of their brugs had pollen due to the xcessive heat but the Mango Crush is my only pollenless brug. The others have all had nice fluffy anthers. My blue Iochroma australe started blooming. It has loads of buds yet to open. The white one, not so many. Emerald Frost is growing well and has just formed it's 1st Y.

{{gwi:508265}}

{{gwi:508266}}

{{gwi:508267}}

My first daylily that I grew from seed and a calla that I started from seed.

{{gwi:508268}}

{{gwi:508269}}

A couple unusual MG's. The 1st is almost like a hige but the cup isn't split. The other is such a dark blue it's almost black.

{{gwi:508270}}

{{gwi:508273}}

Misc blooms.

{{gwi:508276}}

{{gwi:508278}}

{{gwi:508280}}

{{gwi:508282}}

{{gwi:508284}}

{{gwi:508286}}

One of my little pocket monsters (a sugar glider) She's in my pocket eating a grape.

{{gwi:508288}}

Comments (17)

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

Very cool. Now John and Morgan want one, lol. (Sugar glider that is, lol) What are the white flowers with fuzzy purple and the yellow flowers with fuzzy purple?

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sugar gliders are so cool and they make really nice pets. They are very sweet and lovable. They can climb just about anything and can glide a pretty good distance. I only let them loose in a small closed room. They are next to impossible to catch if they get loose in a large open area. They'll just glide from one thing to another over your head.

The flowers are verbascum. They do reseed a lot but I really like them and so do the bees and butterflies. I try to deadhead them before they go to seed. As long as you clip the spent flowers they'll keep sending out new spikes though they won't be as big as the original. I think they might be considered a weed in some places. They are related to mullen. That giant yellow weed.

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

They are pretty. I wish I had weeds like that, lol. Well John and Morgan found a 1 year old pair of gliders and the cage and accessories for $200 so I think we will be getting them tomorrow if they are still available. John wants to train his to stay in his pocket and take it places with him. Can you really do that? I have wanted one for a long time. Thanks for that pic. It did them in, lol.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

As long as they've been hand raised it shouldn't be a problem. Even if not you should be able to train them but I'd make sure they are well trained before even venturing outside with one in his pocket. If they escape outside you'll never catch them. You also want to make sure your vet cares for exotics or can refer you to someone that does, especially if you have a breeding pair. I didn't want any babies so I have a pair of sisters. The cage needs to be a minimum of 4'H x 3'W x 3'L

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Beautiful blooms as always Karyn! I especially like the MGs, and the sugar glider :-)

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

I will check with the vet. I didn't think about that. Good idea to find one ahead of time before you need it. I'm waiting to hear from them. Sounded like a house answering machine so it might not be til tonight if they are at work. Gonna find out if the male is fixed or not. If not I might let them have on litter so I can have one to raise from a baby then get him fixed. Probably have to get a bigger cage than the one it comes with. Its 3.5 feet tall. I'll make sure he doesn't take it outside. The ad said they are tame so I hope so, lol.

• Frances Coffill
    13 years ago

OH MY!!!!

what an adorable little pet! that is the cutest thing I have ever seen. I was thinking I needed a canary or two, but now I am conflicted!

Lovely

The flowers are very pretty too!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    13 years ago

Those iochromas are so pretty! How long did it take from seed to get the calla bloom? What's that spiky purple bloom under misc?

The sugar glider is sooo cute!

Pam

• gardenpaw
    13 years ago

Lovely blooms Karyn and that sugar glider is precious!
    I dont think I have ever seen one before.

Karen

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pam it took 2 years to bloom from seed. I think the spiky purple plant you are asking about is the pickerel. It's a water plant.

Kristy a 3.5' cage should probably be ok. Definitely make sure you have an exotics vet lined up. Not sure they'll neuter a glider. Anesthesia is difficult for them. If it's a breeding pair you can always sell the babies. Make sure you begin educating yourself now in preparation.

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

Well they were already sold but I'll keep looking. John really wants a young one so he can train it so maybe its for the best. I was doing some reading on a breeder website and he said he could neuter them. Hmm Poor things. Maybe we will just get two of the same sex. I don't want to end up with 50 of them, lol. I don't know if I could bring myself to sell them, lol.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They really are sweet and easily trained. They are very timid by nature and need a lot of attention. It's best to get them in pairs unless you want to spend the entire day with a single one. They become neurotic if left alone too much. Besides unwanted babies a good reason to neuter a male while young is to keep their scent glands from developing. If they are already mature it will keep them from scent marking but MAKE SURE it's a vet that specializes in exotics. You don't have to worry about being overrun with babies. They usually have 2 joeys at a time and they remain in the pouch for 2 months and aren't weaned until 5 months. BTW back to plants. Do you want me to save any of the verbascum seeds for you?

• chena
    13 years ago

Everything is looking good.. I haven't even gotten any MG's out and I have plenty of seed.. Maybe that will be a good project for today.. OKAY now you have gone and done it.. I want a SG too! LOL Bad Girl!!

Kylie

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

Yes Karyn, I would like some seeds if its not too much trouble. Need to start filling in with more things that are easy to care for. The beds that don't have too many plants get too many weeds, lol. I found some more sugar gliders but they said they are older and don't breed anymore and aren't tame so John doesn't want them. He wants a baby or at least one that is somewhat tame or that can have a baby to train. When I say one I mean one for him and one for me, lol. I might have to wait a bit before I look anymore. Have one next door neighbor out of town and another in ICU and between watering three houses worth of plants I don't have much time right now. Might be a reason it didn't work out right now to get the first ones I found. When the right ones come along I'll have to get a pair for Kylie too, lol.

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Well bless you all with the patience to take care of a SG! Karyn, with all you wrote about them, I know I would never get one although they are so cute.

• figara
    13 years ago

Wow! Such a cutie. Never seen sugar glider before.

Ah, flowers....I lake them all.

• threas
    13 years ago

Wow, Karyn! Those Iochroma blooms are beautiful & huge! Love all your other blooms too and what a cutie that SG is!

Theresa

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional